Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Schneiderlin played better last season, and not just better than Fellaini but also Ander and the rest. He wasn't brilliant by any means, just not as bad as the rest.
I disagree.

He was particularly atrocious in that must win game at WHU when we really needed him.

Contrast that to Fellaini's perfomance against the same opponents in the FA cup quarter.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
If he had brought with himself on the pitch some actual air threat he could have been useful. This trimmed version of clothed Panda ain’t scary nor is it sweet.

FahadiHossein

Pogba is more physically imposing than Fellaini.

Think it's a compromise after the Everton game. Keep him as far away from our half as possible in the event we have to defend a quick counter.
Yes, he is much more physically imposing than Felliani. But Pogba can do a lot more in a game. Jose used Pogba to pass and dictate the game mainly before Felliani was subbed off. After he was subbed off, Pogba began to make the late runs into the box more often.

You don't want Pogba to join the attack and ask Felliani to pass and dictate the game. That would be a disaster. You know, I know it, everyone knows it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's a limited player, but is useful to wheel out against particularly physical opponents in scuffly games.

However, he's very much a bit part squad player. Shouldn't be starting very often as he does slow the pace of the attack down, and isn't mobile enough to be deep, and isn't creative enough to be further forward.

Janson

It worked perfectly well against Leicester and Stoke (which we shouldn't have lost). Where Pogba lines up on a computer screen doesn't really matter either.
It also depends on how much of a threat Morinho thinks the opposition poses and if they have tall players that need to be matched.

spiriticon

He's a limited player, but is useful to wheel out against particularly physical opponents in scuffly games.

However, he's very much a bit part squad player. Shouldn't be starting very often as he does slow the pace of the attack down, and isn't mobile enough to be deep, and isn't creative enough to be further forward.
Even as a physical player he can't help us because he can't impose himself without conceding freekicks in stupid positions or even worse, penalties! WTF is he good for seriously.

Shimo

Did a good job - not outstanding but, as a squad player he did more than well enough stepping in.

Janson

I think Fellaini wasn't supposed to play that advanced today, but that plan went out the window when we realised they offered no threat whatsoever, so we could afford to throw him in attack as well.

friend

Getting a kicking despite not putting a foot wrong. Good old caf and our favourite broken record
Exactly ! We played well, created plenty of chances and only looked a little vulnerable at the left back slot where Blind was being outpaced (nothing to do with Fellaini), yet people here are complaining how he makes Pogba and Herrera play bad. Incredible.

criticalanalysis

I think Fellaini wasn't supposed to play that advanced today, but that plan went out the window when we realised they offered no threat whatsoever, so we could afford to throw him in attack as well.
Unfortunately I think that was the case, as clearly Herrera was sitting deep from the kick off.

The thing I don't understand is why don't Mourinho try him as the deepest. Everything Herrera did from those deep positons, Fellani is capable of and even if it's to a lower standard, the plus is that it means it'll free Herrera to dictate further up the pitch, instead of him doing the simple 'mop up the danger and recycle the ball effetively' thing. His height and width means he's a better hindrance in the middle of the park than further up it as he lacks agility and off the ball movement.

Tiber

Luckily he came off soon enough to still leave Mata enough time to save the game

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
not exactly. Arsenal drew Middlesbrough at Emirates in September or October because Giroud was still out. Middlesbrough packed all 10 men into the box and managed to stop Arsenal from working the ball into the box.
Felliani adds the physical presence to the attack for wingers to cross the ball into the box for.
That sentiment would make more sense last year, in a team without Ibra and Pogba. Both of whom, once again, are effortlessly better at doing one of the few things Fellaini is supposed to be useful for.

Last edited:

manutddjw

The problem is his inclusion ruins the fluidity of the team and he isn't good enough to justify it. In the Griezmann transfer thread most acknowledge that if we bought him it would cause problems with balance particularly with Pogba. But at least he's a world class player. Fellaini is a tall Cleverley who may not do anything wrong, but doesn't do anything positive either.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I try to like him, try to see what the managers see in him and I can't see it at all. He can't really pass, dribble, tackle that well, bit of a pointless player really. We looked miles better without him

iKeano

Brings he entire team performance down a couple of notches. So hard to watch.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm forever at a loss why Moyes, LvG and now Jose keeps giving him playing time. He slows down teams passing momentum going forward, and he's absolutely pointless at being a defensive midfielder.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The problem is his inclusion ruins the fluidity of the team and he isn't good enough to justify it. In the Griezmann transfer thread most acknowledge that if we bought him it would cause problems with balance particularly with Pogba. But at least he's a world class player. Fellaini is a tall Cleverley who may not do anything wrong, but doesn't do anything positive either.
Yeah, was especially noticeable last season under LVG: even though we were shite at his passing game anyway and lacked incision, we became even worse when Fellaini was used as a key component in this passing system because he's not very good at passing. Which is probably the ultimate problem: for all Fellaini's offered (and to give him credit he's sometimes delivered when we didn't expect him to) he's just not a particularly good passer, or particularly good with a football at his feet. Which is a big, big problem when you're playing for a club with trophy ambitions.

Sylar

He really isnt needed. Id rather we just buy a tall second striker rather than using him for a plan C or D or whatever it is when we hit balls into the box. He doesnt really do well. Its like hes afraid of jumping and attacking the ball.

I dont hate him or anything, I just dont think hes what United need. We play better when hes not on the pitch, cos when hes on, it seems like were sacrificing elements of our play to work around him.

stevoc

Yeah, was especially noticeable last season under LVG: even though we were shite at his passing game anyway and lacked incision, we became even worse when Fellaini was used as a key component in this passing system because he's not very good at passing. Which is probably the ultimate problem: for all Fellaini's offered (and to give him credit he's sometimes delivered when we didn't expect him to) he's just not a particularly good passer, or particularly good with a football at his feet. Which is a big, big problem when you're playing for a club with trophy ambitions.
More importantly its a big, big feck off problem when you are a professional footballer.

When played in CM like today hes pointless. Gets the ball then slowly passes it on to the closest player within 6-8 feet of him. Slows down our play to pedestrian speed.

I cant think of a position where we dont have at least 2-3 better options in.

Shimo

He didn't do "more than well enough" at all. That's obviously nonsense.
For me he did more than well enough, so it's not obviously nonsense but, guess it's obviously too much to ask you to be objective. If anyone in midfield was lacking today, it was Herrera - he was the one who had to fill Carrick's boots and didn't do too well.

prath92

Played well this game. He has his limitations and was taken off when we went full on attack but I feel he would have done a slightly better job of tracking leadbitter. I don't remember leadbitter doing anything before the goal.

AgentP

What is surprising for me is that he is not really that good at headers either. He gets to the ball first but he never looks like he is going to score. His headers lack both power and direction. Overall, he's just a waste of space. We should move him out asap.

dichinero

It's like playing with 10 men. I don't see how having Fellaini in any team can equate to dominating let alone win a football match.

Devil81

We really need to invest in cover for the midfield, unfortunately, for all Fellaini's efforts, he's just not cut out for it.

He offered very little yesterday and his passing limitations have a negative effect on the team.

Oneunited26

There's no balance in the team like that. Mata instead of Fellaini would restrict Pogba to a more defensive role. And with Blind in the team it's even more unbalanced.
I still think its better than playing fellaini which is obvious, it showed when mata came on we looked far more better with more idea's, so mata should be the one who plays if carrick cannot play. But it does show it is critical we buy a new anchor man

Fracture90

Getting a kicking despite not putting a foot wrong. Good old caf and our favourite broken record
Problem with him isn't the fact that he's not doing anything bad, it's that he's not doing enough.

Very limited player, just drifting off all over the pitch, bad passing ability etc. He kills the ball flow and creativity when on the pitch because we transition from creative buildup to hoofing it down to a target man.

Basically attacking wise we're a player short when he's on and God knows he ain't doing much defensively either.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm forever at a loss why Moyes, LvG and now Jose keeps giving him playing time. He slows down teams passing momentum going forward, and he's absolutely pointless at being a defensive midfielder.
He isn't even a proper threat from set pieces since he's come here or adding anything going forwards. Always thought the fans were super harsh with him but sadly he's just not at the level required to play here and with our recent form we have left the likes of Fellaini behind to the point where he sticks out like sore thumb when he comes in even as a sub. Needs to be replaced asap and moved on.

Oscie

He did quite well yesterday I thought. I wouldn't pick him again in a month of Sundays but yesterday he was alright.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He had little or no impact yesterday.

I still maintain early in the season he played welll in the holding role and did have an impact.

Going forward though I'm not sure I see the point. I can't stand it when he comes on as a sub and starting him once every month or so will do nobody any good

He seems to need a run of games to see the best of him and that's clearly not happening

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He had little or no impact yesterday.

I still maintain early in the season he played welll in the holding role and did have an impact.

Going forward though I'm not sure I see the point. I can't stand it when he comes on as a sub and starting him once every month or so will do nobody any good

He seems to need a run of games to see the best of him and that's clearly not happening
He had a decent three or so games at the start of the season, granted.

But then again, Carrick in those matches would've been a far better option.

And that's my main gripe with him: I can't think of a single position on the pitch that there aren't two or three better alternatives to Fellaini at any given time, so why play him? If it's for height we've got that covered through Zlatan/Bailly/Pogba/Smalling et all.

spiriticon

There is no way he's Carrick's replacement. No way. He can't pick an incisive pass for toffee.

At a push, I think he could do a job as Zlatan's substitute if we had Martial, Mkhitaryan and Mata playing around him picking up the shreds. Still, I'd rather we used Rashford instead.

Robertd0803

Did ok. Will never be first choice in any midfield role though. I wonder if Shaw ever gets fit enough to play will Blind get a chance in midfield instead of Fellaini.

dichinero

The only run he needs is out of the club. As long as he's available, managers will always be tempted to play him every now and then. It's time for him to be someone elses problem.

Oneunited26

He had a decent three or so games at the start of the season, granted.

But then again, Carrick in those matches would've been a far better option.

And that's my main gripe with him: I can't think of a single position on the pitch that there aren't two or three better alternatives to Fellaini at any given time, so why play him? If it's for height we've got that covered through Zlatan/Bailly/Pogba/Smalling et all.

This makes the need of keeping fellaini completly pointless, those players should be the death of fellaini's united career, and its still amazing he's managed to make it his 4th season in a united shirt. Height is not what we need, its more quality and mata provided that

Walters_19_MuFc

Felt he was alrite. Obviously it was always going to be a hard task replacing Carrick, but he did what he had to do. That said, I felt felt it was more Herrera who was holding, as Fellaini got into the box at any given moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.