5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asger

Its time not to drop him and Rooney... And NEVER use Young again as fullback.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's disappointing to see fans turning on him already. Everyone accepted when we signed him that he'd need time and we'd see inconsistency. It's clear that he's got it in him to be a top class player.

Kopral Jono

Don't rate him particularly if I'm honest.

When the going gets tough, he's not interested. Young was getting destroyed down that side and not once did Depay look to help him.
Same here. He has a very good shot and cross in him but that's about it, really. Some on here keep harping on that he has a very high ceiling but I haven't seen any evidence of that at all. If anything, he is one trick pony personified. A selfish one trick pony with little pace.

I realise different players develop at a different age and at a different speed but I don't even remember Nani being this poor when he was 21.

justboy68

It's disappointing to see fans turning on him already. Everyone accepted when we signed him that he'd need time and we'd see inconsistency. It's clear that he's got it in him to be a top class player.
I wouldn't say it's clear at all. Martial is an example of a player who clearly has it in him to be top drawer, his qualities are there to see. Memphis could go either way. I'm still supporting him obviously and hoping he will come good in the long run but he shouldn't be an automatic starter at the moment. Bring him on slowly and take him out of the limelight a bit.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He is basically what Nani was like when he first came to the club.

Obviously the fact that we sold a now-matured and more consistent Nani last summer seems a bit odd.

Happy to give Memphis time as his is undoubtedly talented (and I said the same about Nani) but there is no denying that at the moment he isnt doing particularly well. I had hoped he might hit the ground running like Martial, or others in the past such as Hazard.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
There's a player in there somewhere but right now he's simply not good enough. I suggested before we signed him and at the start of the season that he wasn't the kind of player we should have been looking at and that his lack of dribbling ability would be a big hindrance. Got some greenies and abuse for saying that but he hasn't done anything to change my mind.

feck know why we loaned away Januzaj or sold Nani. Speaking of Nani, those comparisons should be buried now. He'll do very well to reach anywhere near Nani's level.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Really disappointed with him today. I can accept when players have an off day and lose possession or nothing comes off in the attack, but to not track back and help Young when it clear for all to see he needed it was criminal today. It was like he was playing his own game where he's not allowed to cross the half way line and defend. He'll learn from this defeat today though.

Sam

He is basically what Nani was like when he first came to the club.

Obviously the fact that we sold a now-matured and more consistent Nani last summer seems a bit odd.

Happy to give Memphis time as his is undoubtedly talented (and I said the same about Nani) but there is no denying that at the moment he isnt doing particularly well. I had hoped he might hit the ground running like Martial, or others in the past such as Hazard.
Except without the ridiculous amount of skill and ability that Nani had you mean?

He has the inconsistency though, thats for sure.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't agree with fans turning on him. But some fans like me, had serious doubts about him even before he signed. Doubts that have only been reinforced since his signing. In the newbies last season, I kept saying his dribbling was very poor and his not good at making any space for himself. Those are difficiencies that will only be more glaring in a league that offers even less space that the Dutch league. I wouldn't even say he's been inconsistent. Performances like this have been fairly consistent this season with the exception of Bruge.

Varun

Staff
I don't think it's a case on people turning on him. We as a team cannot afford to carry players, we aren't that good or that superior in most games. Whilst a talent, we can't develop him at the cost of the team. That's not to say we shouldn't play him. It's to say he shouldn't have the left wing spot handed to him for every game. Let him earn it. Young is better atm and should start. Memphis can come on for 30mins and earn the spot for himself like Young did last season.

Last edited:

NessunDorma

Next Arjen Robben or next Ryan Babel?

Early days yet, and at least he's shown he can score and create. Bought with the future in mind, as LvG has admitted, so let's just give him a chance.

Kopral Jono

I don't agree with fans turning on him. But some fans like me, had serious doubts about him even before he signed. Doubts that has only been reinforced since his signing. In the newbies last season, I kept saying his dribbling was very poor and his not good at making any space for himself. Those are difficiencies that will only be more glaring in a league that offers even less space that the Dutch league. I wouldn't even say he's been inconsistent. Performances like this have been fairly consistent this season with the exception of Bruge.
Yep, I follow the Holland national team quite closely and I wasn't particularly excited when we signed him.

Varun

Staff
Except without the ridiculous amount of skill and ability that Nani had you mean?

He has the inconsistency though, thats for sure.
Aye. The nani comparisons are baffling. Nani was a ridiculously talented player. Had it all. Pace, dribbling, shot, the lot. Shame he was too damn inconsistent and couldn't turn it on regularly. Memphis isn't as talented as him.

Sam

Aye. The nani comparisons are baffling. Nani was a ridiculously talented player. Had it all. Pace, dribbling, shot, the lot. Shame he was too damn inconsistent and couldn't turn it on regularly. Memphis isn't as talented as him.
Spot on. Nani was a much more talented player then Memphis.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Don't think anybody's turning on him, it's just clear that he's been poor for us since he's joined bar those two Brugges matches and probably that one goal against PSV, people are just stating what you can see in front of you. Sure, he might develop into a great player but he's far from being one right now and on top of that his attitude can easily be questioned because he seems like he doesn't give a feck.

You can get into fans' hearts by either playing brilliant football (like Martial is) or working your ass off every game (like Park did). He's doing none at the moment and he needs to get his shit together. Possibly on the bench.

ivaldo

I don't think it's a case on people turning on him. We as a team cannot afford to carry players, we aren't that good or that superior in most games. Whilst a talent, we can't develop him at the cost of the team. That's not to say we shouldn't play him. It's to say he shouldn't have the left wing spot handed to him for every game. Let him earn it. Young is better atm and should start. Memphis can come on for 30mins and earn the spot for himself like Young wasn't it last season.
There are a few here that have already written him but i agree with everything you've said.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I don't think it's a case on people turning on him. We as a team cannot afford to carry players, we aren't that good or that superior in most games. Whilst a talent, we can't develop him at the cost of the team. That's not to say we shouldn't play him. It's to say he shouldn't have the left wing spot handed to him for every game. Let him earn it. Young is better atm and should start. Memphis can come on for 30mins and earn the spot for himself like Young wasn't it last season.
agree.

Baxter

Said it before, you can't predict how long a young player coming from a poorer league to make a big step will take to show his best. It's been made worse that him and Martial were the only attacking signings with half the forwards at the club getting sold or loaned. It puts way too much pressure on him and when he doesn't immediately bring his best then this kind of reaction happens.

Crashoutcassius

Memphis was very poor but in fairness this is still him settling in to a far higher level. For me it is on LVGs shoulders for having it so we must rely and two such very young players for goals, as their form will come and go

Crashoutcassius

Said it before, you can't predict how long a young player coming from a poorer league to make a big step will take to show his best. It's been made worse that him and Martial were the only attacking signings with half the forwards at the club getting sold or loaned. It puts way too much pressure on him and when he doesn't immediately bring his best then this kind of reaction happens.
you beat me to saying this (altho i still said it). I think most fans understand that we should be patient at least, they are just less vocal in here

Everest Red

Reddest ever
People are not turning on him, most here think that Young deserves to start and he should be bedded in slowly.

ivaldo

People are not turning on him, most here think that Young deserves to start and he should be bedded in slowly.
Ah not everyone but there are definitely some questioning his potential. Still early days yet let's hope we see some additions in January.

Kopral Jono

Ah not everyone but there are definitely some questioning his potential. Still early days yet let's hope we see some additions in January.
Memphis has yet to show his acclaimed high ceiling, though. In a case like this it would be silly to not question his potential. I remember watching Nani when he first burst into the scene and as inconsistent as he is these days, the 21 year-old Nani showed great potential not seen in Memphis.

Iron Stove

Things aren't coming off for him. Needs to be benched and introduced against tiring teams at the end of games.

ivaldo

Memphis has yet to show his acclaimed high ceiling, though. In a case like this it would be silly to not question his potential. I remember watching Nani when he first burst into the scene and as inconsistent as he is these days, the 21 year-old Nani showed great potential not seen in Memphis.
Scoring a brace in the fashion he did on his European debut shows some great potential to me. The goals and assists he's bagged so far have been pretty special.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I wouldn't mind seeing Lingard replace him for a game or two. At least he'll play with some passion.

Or we should have Blind at LB, Jones at CB and play Young on the left. Memphis needs to learn a lot before he can play against defenses that won't give him the space he was used to in the Dutch league or got in the game against Brugge.

Last edited:

Kopral Jono

Scoring a brace in the fashion he did on his European debut shows some great potential to me. The goals and assists he's bagged so far have been pretty special.
Goals against a very poor team in Club Brugge riddled with injuries. There's a good player in him but I just don't think he's United quality. I'd love it if he proved me wrong in the future but I'll be surprised if he makes it here.

saivet

I've mentioned it before after other games, but considering the amount of stick Mata, sometimes Rooney, for their lack of defensive deficiencies, this guy gets away with it. He may be quick, but he often doesn't track back and defensively is just very lazy. If you're banging in the goals, making an impact going forward, I'll accept it but, he's not offering anything at the moment.

Stadjer

He shouldnt be a starter. He has only played good against Brugge but in all other games he was one of the worse players on the field. Young should start.

Ixion

I remember in the summer when people were predicting our best line-up and I questioned on here a couple of times the idea that Memphis would be in our strongest XI and starting every week. A young player moving to a much stronger league with a lot of expectations on him it's going to take time. Ronaldo was very inconsistent for a couple of seasons, so was Nani (and remained so). He should be starting on the bench more and be coming on with a point to prove.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
He has nothing special in his game at all, average pace, average dribbling skills, average crossing, average strength, Bang on average player.
The frustrating thing is, he will always lose the ball and never track back to get it, it annoys me. With Nani and ronaldo at the start you could see there was a player there, in memphis its just not visible. All he does is, cut in try a dribble loose the ball and repeat. The worst player on the pitch easily. He needs time out of the team, play wilson on left or young. Hell play rooney there and play herera in 10. I know he scored a lot of goals in holland but so did alfonso alves, he just does not seem to have anything that can possitively contribute to us right now. Its problematic we carry one player in rooney, now carrying 2 will kill us like today.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I get that he's one for the future and its daft to write him off so early, But he certainly needs to be left out for a few games and be taken out of the limelight a little bit.

He doesn't look good enough (yet!) to be one of 3 players leading our attacking line.

Our captain also needs to 'pick up a knock' and miss a few games I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.