OFFICIAL: Jose Mourinho is Manchester United manager | Megathread closed, start new Mourinho threads

How do feel about José Mourinho's appointment as Man Utd manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
feck me rory... Stop making cheap glazer excuse.

Moyes was on high salary, do you really think they'd hire moyes because he's 1m per year cheaper in salary?

For the love of God moyes spend a good 70m on top of the running champion
Not to mention on his first window, the board tried to spend another good 150m on Bale and Herrera, after trying 40m for Fabregas. The money was very much there to be spent.

His league record vs the top teams

Mourinho vs Arsenal
5 Wins - 6 Draws - 0 Losses

Mourinho Vs United
5 Wins - 4 Draws - 1 Loss

Mourinho vs Liverpool
8 Wins - 1 Draw - 2 Loss

Mourinho vs City
6 Wins - 3 Draws - 2 Loss

In 2014 he managed to go to the Etihad, Emirates, Old Trafford and Anfield while getting 10/12 points and conceding 0 goals.

He lost 1 out of his first 100 Chelsea home games.

Also thought this was impressive

Can't wait to see what he does at United.
Great post. I was trying to find those graphics earlier but was having trouble.

I know it went tits up for Jose this past season at Chelsea but I've been adamant it was more down to the team and the players than Jose himself. Although, I don't think he handled the situation the greatest, which admittedly has never been his greatest strength.

There is no manager in history probably that has guaranteed success like Jose has. There are question marks over his longitivity, but I think in the right environment he can thrive; and I honestly don't think Chelsea or Madrid or conducive to keeping managers long term anyway (evidenced by his predecessors at Madrid, I guess we'll see with Conte).

In my opinion, United gave both Moyes and LvG plenty amount of time to turn things around, maybe even too long for LvG. I think Jose knows that and will feel a lot more comfortable without answering to the player power and Abromovic factor he had to deal with at Chelsea.

Not to mention I think United is in a perfect position to have Mourinho come in and hit the ground running. There have been rumors forever about him coming in, and there's not often smoke without some fire, so I think there was some truth in the rumors. For that reason, I think Jose has been planning to come for a while and will have already identified the wholes he needs to fill; which is one of his biggest strengths IMO.

This past season United finished just behind City, and within touching distance of Spurs and Arsenal. All with LvG massively underperforming. Jose is inheriting a very under rated squad. Back in 2014 he challenged for the title with a much worse Chelsea squad that had a frontline of Torres, Ba, and Eto'o. I think he's going to come in, fill in the holes, and have United challenging from day one.

I think United fans will be delightfully surprised and rival fans will be pretty upset when they realize how well Jose and United are going to work together.

covlee junior

I think Jose Will keep all player from squad to give them fair chance to impress him and buy some player he wants.

He will begin to sell player not in his plan the next year

Linkage

Apparently Rooney and Rashford didn't speak to the media either last night.

Maybe we are keeping a lid on things on purpose. Less talk,more work please.
We probably will lose this lid as well. Means we shall hear from the players soon. :wenger:

Sad Chris

Good morning beautiful thread! Great to get up and know we have somebody capable in charge again. fecking happy is what I am!

TwistedBlood

Having despised his melodramatic press conferences in his vain attempt to deflect criticism against him and his team, his smug attitude towards opposition managers with his ridiculous handshakes before the final whistle, I have been trying to come to terms with something that I never thought I would see in my life. Jose Mourinho is the manager of Manchester United. I have been trying to come to terms with this appointment since the FA cup final and having thought through the situation we find ourselves in, if Manchester United had to make the right decision as against a romantic ideal, this had to be done. There is no two ways about it. In hindsight he has been the only candidate in world football, Pep included, who was the absolute right man for the job. Whether it turns out that way or not, needs to be seen. But in terms of having the right profile and ticking almost all the boxes (youth excluded) he is the right manager.

Since the appointment, the excitement and intrigue is building up and now I can't wait to watch his first press conference and also his plans for United. Hoping and praying he turns out to be a success, because if he is not; then United might really turn out to be a job which is just too big for anybody.

Reactions: KM

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How come his unveiling/first press conference will be in July?

Revan

Assumptionman
So was Moyes' salary on the same scale as Mourinho's? Jose's salary alone will be half what Moyes spent on players. Call my post nonsense all you like. The actual figures, if you care to post them, already show Moyes was the cheap option. He was appointed having 'succeeded' with Everton on a shoestring.
Moyes salaray was 3 times as high as Pellegrino's. He was one of the most payes managers in the world.

Ixion

This talk of Moyes reminded me of when he talking about Hernandez or Kagawa he said "they tell me he's a good player", 4-5 games into the season, of a player that played against his Everton side. I can't see Mourinho saying things like that.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
What a little bitch! :mad:
Hope you lose tonight.:keano:
This talk of Moyes reminded me of when he talking about Hernandez or Kagawa he said "they tell me he's a good player", 4-5 games into the season, of a player that played against his Everton side. I can't see Mourinho saying things like that.
Who? i thought the last three years never happened.

Ibi Dreams

A pretty amazing stat: Jose Mourinho went unbeaten at home for nine years, spanning four different clubs and 151 games in total. I don't expect him to do anything like that at United, but that record is absolutely ridiculous

Perrick Dubois

Welcome Jose! I think the club will start to feel a little bit more like Manchester United to many of the fans in the next couple of years.

Tosicsleftpeg

I want him to make Old Trafford a horrible place to go again for the opposition. I remember his Chelsea side and I used to think that it was nigh on impossible to bear them at Stamford bridge, every time we went there I feared the worst. That is what we need to emulate, be ruthless and extremely hard to beat at home and be solid away from home.

LVG improved us defensively but we were still poor at home for large parts of the season suffering defeats against the likes of Southampton and Norwich.

CM

I see that word gets automatically changed to Mourinho now :D

My Rojo joke in the other thread doesn't make sense anymore, feck!

Acole9

Outstanding
I want him to make Old Trafford a horrible place to go again for the opposition. I remember his Chelsea side and I used to think that it was nigh on impossible to bear them at Stamford bridge, every time we went there I feared the worst. That is what we need to emulate, be ruthless and extremely hard to beat at home and be solid away from home.

LVG improved us defensively but we were still poor at home for large parts of the season suffering defeats against the likes of Southampton and Norwich.
Same here, when teams have come to Old Trafford in the last couple of years they know that it's not the same as it used to be and fancy getting a result.

Trizy

What I'm most looking forward too is turning Old Trafford into a fortress again.. If there's one man who knows how to win at home it's Jose. We already were progressing in that regard under LVG so it might be an easier fix than originally thought.

Fahad Jawaid

I don't usually post, but its been special few days so i will make it an exception. Welcome Mourinho, he is one manager who i always had respect and certain amount of fear for. I remember during 2004-2006 i used to watch Chelsea matches and then getting defeated was a cause of celebration, they seldom lost matches. Similarly i loved his Inter side and the way they played against Barca at San Siro, and how they dug their heels in and won at Camp Nou. While his Madrid side who constantly broke scoring records along the way.

Although his latest Chelsea stint was kind of a disaster but you can't disregard the special abilities he bring along with Winning mentality. He will make our players play like warriors, he will make them punch above their weight, he will make them believe they can do the impossible, and that's how Ferguson used to be and that's what we are used to, rather than "aspiring to be like City" or the "Expectation are too high"

And i love Sir Alex, but after we lost both of those finals against Barca and actually never had any chance to win against them, and then i watched Madrid play them, although they lost on many occasions against Barca, but it was never that easy for them, it was usually a Messi Magic in a very closely contested matches, i really wondered if he had Mourinho against Barca in those two matches, i am still saying i am confident we would have won atleast one more CPL.

P.s When is acquire me getting knighted here, he kept making me believe it was going to happen, even when i lost hope and thought Woodward and the Board are going to feck it up. :D

Last edited:

Thoraximus

Latin for deep throat
So - sorry if this has been answered already. Seen a couple of posts about his first Presser being in July, for our two pre-season games. Is he already our manager or will he officially start later on in the summer?

Rory 7

feck me rory... Stop making cheap glazer excuse.

Moyes was on high salary, do you really think they'd hire moyes because he's 1m per year cheaper in salary?

For the love of God moyes spend a good 70m on top of the running champion
I honestly do think they saw Moyes as a cheaper option at the time. Jose has just signed the most lucrative contract of any manager we've ever had.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
First boss we've had on instagram :lol:

I'm expecting training selfies.

Status
Not open for further replies.