Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
The thought of him vs Kane and Morata sends shivers down my spine tbh. Hope to feck that Jones or Bailly are fit.

AlwaysRed66

He was one best on the pitch against Benfica who despite being in low form are probably better than Huddersfield. I don't think he even expected to be on the pitch today... I guess he doesn't know Phil Jones that well, yet. :lol:

Get good, you Swedish fecker. This is a lifetime opportunity for you and Mourinho's patience isn't gonna be tested forever.
Even though he was on the bench? If he knew Mourinho at all, even without an injury to Jones he would have likely been on to make us more defensive.

Varun

Staff
Blind, even Darmian can play as CB in a 3.

Axel too.
In a back 2 as well tbf. Blind has played there a lot and done well. I'd be much more confident with him there than Lindelöf.

Mike09

Wonder if we'd have bought him if Mourinho knew we weren't getting Perisic. Feels as if he bought Lindelöf to play in a 3 man defence where his quality on the ball helped us at the back while now he's stuck with making him work in a 2 man defence which is proving to be very tough given he doesn't have others to cover for him.
I'm not too sure why Jose doesn't think that Blind qualify for that.

Mike09

Also one thing is he played lcb last season all the time while smallings best came at rcb under lvg. Whay are they both playing opposite sides under mourinho.
I heard from Benfica fans that he performed better as a rcb than lcb.

AK29

Up until now he didn't deliver any recognizable performances.
The aim of his signing was to immediately improve the level of our defense, yet the case seems to be far from that.

Kind of shocking failure that Jose didn't fully solve the defense Situation after what happened last year.

When He actually reached the level of publicly calling out some of his defenders by name for not pushing hard to return back to the team sheet.

We all knew jones and smelling were rarely available, Rojo is already injured until Dec, and Baily is not trust worthy specially with his silly Red cards/mistakes at vital times.

Our defense is far from excellence.
No great defending skills
No "on ball" confidence, at all.

Although the coatch is to blame for this mess as he had time to fix it, We can't critisie his approach now to play closed/full defense mood style against big teams.

We will difinitly suffer against top 6 teams if we play an "open style" of football, we lack its quality, tools and mindset

Mcking

Actually, that was the right move to not attack the player with the ball. Had he done that, then the player running in behind, who Lindelöf tried to stop in the end, would have been 1 on 1 with the keeper.

The problem was, he defended horribly once he confronted the guy who took the shot. That mistake on their second was terrible as well. It looked like he tried to head it at an angle to pass it to the side, missing it entirely.
For the first goal, Mata should take the blame, but Lindelof didn't cover himself in any glory. Maybe he should have closed down Mooy but he had Ince running in behind. Mata's mistake put Lindelof in one of the toughest spot a defender could be i.e tracking the man on the ball and the man running in behind. He used the layman's thought in defending, backing off, which was probably a good idea if he didn't give a >four-yard space between himself and Mooy. Mata falling over didn't help the cause either; he could have tracked Mooy. Lindelof's 1v1 defending was shocking too, he got turned inside out and Ince would probably have finished the ball if he wasn't left footed.
As for the second goal, he's got no excuse. That's as bad as a defensive error from a defender could be. There's no way a professional should miss that ball.
So far, he hasn't done anything to show he will succeed here, the fight and qualities just isn't there and he looks physically inept.

vanderpants

not seen a player criticized this much for a very long time, i wouldnt be surprised if we dont see him again. Somebody messed up scouting and signing this player, looks more like a championship player at best

LoneStar

His performance yesterday makes me appreciate no nonsense defenders like Baily, Rojo and even Jones more. They would have just tackled him earlier or made a tactical foul when they sensed danger. This guy kept retreating so much.

We already have Jones, Smalling, Baily and Rojo who are all relatively young for defenders. Just can't see the point of this signing. Especially when we could have spent that money on a LB/RB.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
Lindelof was so bad yesterday, oh my God. And how much did we pay for him. And how has he improved the squad. We should have gone for van dijk instead.

Devil81

Just watched the goals again, can't believe he's allowed that ball past him for the second goal. We purchased him to improve our backline, clearly, he's a major downgrade on what we already have so I have no idea why we've signed him.

Cut our losses and bid for Van Dijk, Southampton might be more willing to sell to us over Liverpool.

Litch

Well I guess you have different opinion for that one. But to me, if we are going to give chance and times it should be to our youth players like Tuanzebe. We shouldn't spend 35m just to let the player settle in one full season with no guarantee to be good enough for 1st choice quality and make Tuanzebe as our 7th option with lack of game times.

And this is not the first time manager made mistake in signing. Sir Alex signed Bebe without even watched him play.
Whether 35m or 135m, players need time to settle. Even then there are no guarantees whether they will be good enough. Managers making mistakes when signing players...that's just a fact of football and a bit of a ridiculous thing to even suggest that transfers are a science.
Poor performance yesterday and clearly he's struggled with the transition into prem football but we didn't lose cause of his mistake. We've lost our spark a little and creativity from Pogba who's the glue that bonds the team.

Too early for some of the comments on here....

Tanel

I am shamed of you all.. You are being such a keyboard warriors here, judging someones abilities to be a quality player for us in the long run on a very off night, where none of our players stood up for the stature. Victor came on unprepared, if you saw the game, then Jose didn't even let him to do proper warm up on sidelines and just rushed him on instead. Just keep your fingers off keyboard, if you are triggered so easily for the for the gods sake.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I am shamed of you all.. You are being such a keyboard warriors here, judging someones abilities to be a quality player for us in the long run on a very off night, where none of our players stood up for the stature. Victor came on unprepared, if you saw the game, then Jose didn't even let him to do proper warm up on sidelines and just rushed him on instead. Just keep your fingers off keyboard, if you are triggered so easily for the for the gods sake.
Does any of this affect his ability to head a football?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
"Unprepared"? He's a professional footballer who's fit, would have had a warm-up pre match and knows he can be called on at a moment's notice.

For the goal, it wasn't like he'd been on one minute? And however long it was, he just had to watch a football and head it - warm-up don't impact on a basic ability.

No one wants him to fail but don't make excuses for him - it was his fault, simple as.

spiriticon

Off night? It's been an off 3 months!

Anyway, i'm gonna cut him some slack. I've vented my frustrations enough. I haven't written him off but he needs to put in some OT in training, I think that is clear. I'm not even sure our reserves would have him at this current level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's a massive waste of money, and I've said this before yesterday.

The reason why he is such a huge waste of money is because even if he was any good, he'd have STILL been an unnecessary signing. He was never needed in the first place, good or bad. The only justification would have to be him literally being Franco Baresi.

With the players we needed elsewhere - LB, RW - his purchase was extremely frivolous.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's a massive waste of money, and I've said this before yesterday.

The reason why he is such a huge waste of money is because even if he was any good, he'd have STILL been an unnecessary signing. He was never needed in the first place, good or bad. The only justification would have to be him literally being Franco Baresi.

With the players we needed elsewhere - LB, RW - his purchase was extremely frivolous.
Disagree. Another CB was certainly warranted given half the CBs we have seem to be injury prone as hell, as our current situation demonstrates. Plus it's not like they're all world class when fit either.

Plus you have to remember that Mourinho was planning on playing three at the back sometimes too, as per his comments on Perisic.

Bwuk

He's just nowhere near the standard required. He's just not good enough, I almost feel bad for him.

It's clear even our players don't rate him.

Needham

Imagine the same man, face, expression, but dressed in a priest's collar. Right? He's too nice. Never have tattoos looked so incongruous on a Mr Reasonable. But in a spirit of Christianity, I am willing to let him redeem himself. One more chance.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Disagree. Another CB was certainly warranted given half the CBs we have seem to be injury prone as hell, as our current situation demonstrates. Plus it's not like they're all world class when fit either.

Plus you have to remember that Mourinho was planning on playing three at the back sometimes too, as per his comments on Perisic.
Unless we decided to sell a centre half, we shouldn't have bought. Players getting injured is not a reason to just keep adding them. Replace, perhaps. Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Bailly, Blind have all shown that they are capable. Not to mention Tuanzebe.

The fact we could sign a £40m centre half and leave him out of the squad for weeks out of choice is all the evidence we need that he wasn't required in the first place.

Thiagoal

I just feel sorry for Tuanzebe! Played very well for the most part when called upon last season and now can't get a run out when we have three centre backs out injured! He must be thinking about his future with us and need for regular football!

Reactions: Snowjoe

Ace of Spades

Wonder if we'd have bought him if Mourinho knew we weren't getting Perisic. Feels as if he bought Lindelöf to play in a 3 man defence where his quality on the ball helped us at the back while now he's stuck with making him work in a 2 man defence which is proving to be very tough given he doesn't have others to cover for him.
That seems to be the case, and I think that is what we will need for the next two games. In fact, I think that is what we need to go with from now on, at least till Pogba is back.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Only hoping that he improves and wins us over. Follow the path of Fellaini. We are slating him too much but are ignoring the fact that we should be beating these teams even after conceding. Our attacking unit as a whole had performed equally bad yesterday.

IrishRedDevil

Constantly backing off for the first goal is shocking. Go and meet the man and keep the danger near the half way line.

Not even attempting to slide to prevent the second goal going in annoys me so much. Smalling even attempted to slide behind him to act as cover, but Lindelof couldn't be arsed sliding and getting himself dirty.

el3mel

I even don't know what Jose saw in him tbh. He's not a Mourinho defender by the slightest, the likes of Bailly and Jones are but this ? I don't remember Mourinho having such a coward defender afraid of all challenges and his heading is that crap before. Why did he sign him ?

Bizarre signing.

Sylar

Hes not better than Tuanzebe right now. Or from all the performances weve seen for United. Id even want TFM ahead of him at CB.

Im wondering if he was bought to be part of a back three with the likes of Bailly and Rojo doing the defending and him being the 'ball player'? regardless, its been a rough start. Im not saying dont ever play him again, but if he wasnt a Jose signing, I have a feeling we wouldnt see him until after Xmas now.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Hes not better than Tuanzebe right now. Or from all the performances weve seen for United. Id even want TFM ahead of him at CB.

Im wondering if he was bought to be part of a back three with the likes of Bailly and Rojo doing the defending and him being the 'ball player'? regardless, its been a rough start. Im not saying dont ever play him again, but if he wasnt a Jose signing, I have a feeling we wouldnt see him until after Xmas now.
Blind is far better at that ball playing role and he'd not get half bullied by a long ball like yesterday.

I thought mourinho missed a trick by not bringing on blind yesterday after Jones injury. He has a very good partnership especially with Smalling.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Constantly backing off for the first goal is shocking. Go and meet the man and keep the danger near the half way line.

Not even attempting to slide to prevent the second goal going in annoys me so much. Smalling even attempted to slide behind him to act as cover, but Lindelof couldn't be arsed sliding and getting himself dirty.
As soon as his opponent reached the pen box, it was over.

Hughes35

Honestly, I feel sorry for him on the first goal. Only been on the pitch a few minutes and he gets stranded 2 on 2 near the half way line. I don't think he does THAT badly backing off as he makes the chance difficult and allows De Gea to save the shot. if they don't score the rebound I don't think anybody remembers his part in the chance........... The second goal however, good grief. There are no words really. If that happened in Sunday league you'd be screaming at the defender for not getting his face on the ball. Seriously, even if it hits him on the back of his head and goes for a corner at least he's defended the long ball!

LoneStar

The irony is strong here.

He came unprepared? Isn't the entire purpose of a bench player to come on if someone is injured at a moment's notice? He's a professional footballer ffs. The second goal was just criminal from him. Even a one legged Jones/Baily would have headed that out with ease. No pressure and he does that? He's not an 18 year old graduate from our academy. He's a player who we bought for 30m+. If he can't do the absolute basics right, he's just shite. And it's not a one off either, he's looked shaky and uninspiring since he started playing for us.

paulscholes18

Just needs time, look at Vidic and Evra they both looked quite poor when they first came in, both were more experienced than Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.