Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Good game from him today, looks good on the left. If only lvg had dropped him rather than all that my captain shall always play bollocks it might have lit this fire under him sooner

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Good game from him today, looks good on the left. If only lvg had dropped him rather than all that my captain shall always play bollocks it might have lit this fire under him sooner
100% this. He's not got the self motivation of Giggs et al. He's always needed a slap across the legs and his ability questioned to get him going. Hopefully he can kick on from here, we need everyone firing on all cylinders. A Rooney on low confidence is a Championship player, that was the same at 24, it's magnified now without the physical attributes to hide it.

stevoc

He actually did though, he dropped him for the Stoke game last season and after that he went on a run where i think he scored like 7-8 goals in 7 games and a couple of assists as well.

You're right it seems he needs dropped to get his finger out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Looked much fitter, and it shows what a fit Rooney could do. We need every players firing all cylinders to scrap anything good this season. The league might be gone, but there are a lot to play for. As a senior player that others look up to, he must show good and consistent performance in every game from now on.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Glad to see him stepping up, as I backed him to perform better than the last two seasons this year. 11 combined goals and assists now, which is more than anyone else.

Jaybomb

What can you say? He was good tonight.

Funny enough, his best performances seem to come when he's played LM. Now Rooney is never a player I'd consider playing on the wing due to his lack of pace, but somehow it's working.

Acole9

Outstanding
Had a lot more energy in this match than he has showed for some time. He almost looked back to his old self.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He actually did though, he dropped him for the Stoke game last season and after that he went on a run where i think he scored like 7-8 goals in 7 games and a couple of assists as well.

You're right it seems he needs dropped to get his finger out.
Doesn't look like half a game was enough to get the message through that he isn't indispensable, here's hoping the lesson has been learnt and he carries on playing like today and against Swansea

stevoc

Doesn't look like half a game was enough to get the message through that he isn't indispensable, here's hoping the lesson has been learnt and he carries on playing like today and against Swansea
I hope he has turned a corner and gets back into a good run of form. But i'm not holding my breath for it either.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I hope he has turned a corner and gets back into a good run of form. But i'm not holding my breath for it either.
Same here, but at least if he doesn't we now have a manager that will only play him when he deserves it

SirScholes

It's a relief to come on with people actually talking about his performances and not some whinging about him "disrespecting" the club bollocks.
Only saw the goals which looked good, so wanted to see how he actually performed and it seems positive.
His last 3 games he's been good and as someone said his goals and assists are up, whatever you think about how he performs he gets the team on th scoresheet

SirScholes

He's been dog shite for the better part of three years. A couple of good games don't change that. I hope he plays well and then moves on in January.
Hope he plays well then moves on? Ha this I don't get, Rooney playing well is a massive plus for Jose and united, you want one of our most productive experienced forwards to get into form then leave?

Sylar

Funnily enough he said he had nothing to prove after the first game.
but tonight he played like he had something to prove. He played like he wants to be in the team. Jose has managed him well tbf
I think he was ok/decent/acceptable against Swansea and Arsenal. Today he looked really good.

Its nice that hes not a guaranteed starter especially for big games, despite being captain. But a Wayne Rooney with something to prove would be a decent person to have in the squad whilst we have him.

stevoc

Hope he plays well then moves on? Ha this I don't get, Rooney playing well is a massive plus for Jose and united, you want one of our most productive experienced forwards to get into form then leave?
Yeah loads of United fans want him out pretty badly, he's not liked by all.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was surprised to see how many people were saying this was the first time in ages he's looked good when only a couple of matches ago he was very good against Swansea and had a few decent showings before. He linked up with Mkhi very well at times and took his goal excellently.

Hopefully if he gets the goals that tie and surpass Sir Bobby's record they are just as good as the one today!

RedPnutz

Maybe Jose's managed to make Rooney feel as if he has something to prove.

A good game today.

ZDwyr

Really good game. Has been decent the last few weeks I think. Looks like benching him actually worked to at least motivate him in some way. Should have happened way before it did.

van Persie

Maybe Jose's managed to make Rooney feel as if he has something to prove.

A good game today.
That's what I hope with Schweini too.

And credit where credit is due, Rooney has upped his game since being benched.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's a relief to come on with people actually talking about his performances and not some whinging about him "disrespecting" the club bollocks.
Only saw the goals which looked good, so wanted to see how he actually performed and it seems positive.
His last 3 games he's been good and as someone said his goals and assists are up, whatever you think about how he performs he gets the team on th scoresheet
In the end, it show you that what most people care about is the football. The rest can be put aside if the player starts to perform.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
If merely complacency played such a big part in his poor performances the last years, then that is some awful player managing by LVG. Glad hes improving though

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He's been much better since being dropped.

Still hope we'll go with Mata/Mikhi/Martial going forward.

ZupZup

What can you say? He was good tonight.

Funny enough, his best performances seem to come when he's played LM. Now Rooney is never a player I'd consider playing on the wing due to his lack of pace, but somehow it's working.
It's more a left forward than left wing.
He didn't play on the left last night... Mkhi did. Rooney was the #10.

iHicksy

He didn't play on the left last night... Mkhi did. Rooney was the #10.
He played left forward but with freedom to interchange with miki or cut inside so he did spend a fair bit of the game in the centre, or moving inside, but his starting position was always from the left.

ZupZup

He played left forward but with freedom to interchange with miki or cut inside so he did spend a fair bit of the game in the centre, or moving inside, but his starting position was always from the left.
His starting position was 10 and Mkhi was on the left! He did interchange but his starting position was 100% in the centre... I was there so I know this.

ryan cook

He definitely is reacting well to his dropping. Looks like he is playing his way back in to the starting line up and hopefully he can keep it up.

iHicksy

His starting position was 10 and Mkhi was on the left! He did interchange but his starting position was 100% in the centre... I was there so I know this.
The TV coverage certainly made it seem he was on the left, but I shall bow to your superior first hand witness!

unimaginative_name

This season, we drew and lost a lot of games without Rooney ... against "very ordinary" teams!... :lol:
It only means that other players are not performing well either, doesn't mean United are worse without Rooney or that Rooney is the answer to our problems. We only have Martial, Rashford, who are probably good enough for absolute top level as attackers.

In an ideal world I'd never have the likes of Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Mata, Lingard, Depay, Mkhitaryan at a United team. These players would never get into the current Bayern, Real and Barca teams. I personally only deem the players playing in those 3 teams as world class, outside them not many are world class, apart from, may be, Riyad Mahrez, Griezmann, Aguero (and probably Leroy Sane as a youngster).

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
A performance to show he still has it in him and I hope it continues at least until he breaks the record, but we all knew he'd put in a good performance at some point. It doesn't make up for the fact that the team had to carry him for two months. Now that he's droppable, though, keeping him around is less of a burden.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Was very impressed with his lead up towards his goal. He actually looked like he had something in the tank last night, his first touch was good, and his passing was ok too. Was far from his best, but with the shit he's served up lately it certainly feels like it. Hope to see more of the same from him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It only means that other players are not performing well either, doesn't mean United are worse without Rooney or that Rooney is the answer to our problems. We only have Martial, Rashford, who are probably good enough for absolute top level as attackers.

In an ideal world I'd never have the likes of Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Mata, Lingard, Depay, Mkhitaryan at a United team. These players would never get into the current Bayern, Real and Barca teams. I personally only deem the players playing in those 3 teams as world class, outside them not many are world class, apart from, may be, Riyad Mahrez, Griezmann, Aguero (and probably Leroy Sane as a youngster).
More like in a fantasy world. Get real, the teams you're mentioning have worse players than the ones you mentioned in our squad. It ain't always about the first 11 in football because that is just not enough to win trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.