Westminster Politics

Fluctuation0161

Suspect the solution will be to go ahead regardless and make people stand trial without legal aid?

Terrible solution of course but probably popular that we don't provide legal aid to criminals (and as they will probably all be found guilty without representation they will therefore be criminals )... I expect patel is creaming herself at the chance to bully some lefty lawyers
Solution is a very strong word when your suggestion is to forget the law and legal norms.

Fluctuation0161

I agree they just don't have the killer instinct do they?

Now is precisely the time to attack when their leader in waiting has to be very careful in what they say in case they frighten the Tory faithful.

Starmer should be going in swinging... throwing 'left/rights /upper-cutter's' .....now whilst both would be Tory leaders are hamstrung in how they can respond.

I despair of every seeing another Labour government in my lifetime... what the feck is Starmer waiting for, in fact the whole shadow cabinet should be out there everyday, addressing everybody in the land... but the Tory faithful!
I'm not sure that would be the correct strategy right now, to be honest. And I'm always willing to stick the boot in on Starmer.

The Tory leadership comments will be there for all to see on public record. It is rather high profile.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The UK is disintegrating into a total shit show.

I would be worried if I lived there. I am worried enough living next door.

Maticmaker

I'm not sure that would be the correct strategy right now, to be honest.
Its the only strategy, for Labour, i.e. to turn the Tory leadership election into a liability, to get ahead in the run up to the next election, get Labour's mantra into the heads of the non-politicized public.
Otherwise, its sit back and let the new Tory leader dole out money left and right, (as they will have to do) thereby stealing all Labour's clothes and nullifying the TU's.
FGS if Starmer cannot see whats happening in front of his eyes, then Labour right, left or extreme left are finished (for whats left of my lifetime) anyway

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Feels like that was an honest mistake from Grant Shapps there. I'm sure if he'd known he'd made a mistake he'd be the first to own up to it and not double down on his error

P O L I T I C S

POPOPO
fkin ell what a f-ing government and Tory party. The secretary for transport comes on a interview on national tv and he doesn’t even know the facts, incompetence.
What a government, covering up reports on the direct link between benefit cuts and health, cover up on Rwanda’s human rights record, sewer being dumped in the sea and the list it just goes on and on. One scandal after each other. And yet they’re people still voting for these incompetent & immoral liars????

Djemba-Djemba

I believe when Labour were ahead in 2013 Milliband's personal ratings were terrible and still worse than Cameron and even with a lead they were still behind the Tories on things like the economy, which they aren't now.

Plus the time between 2013 and 2015 seem like a blessed utopia compared to life in 2022 and what's to come this winter and beyond. Things will only get worse.

You must never discount the shy tory voter of course, but I still think the recent polls are very positive for Labour, and after an initial brief bounce with Truss she will crash and burn. She's hopeless and doesnt even have any of the buffoon like charm of Johnson which appealed to people for some reason.

Longshanks

Its the only strategy, for Labour, i.e. to turn the Tory leadership election into a liability, to get ahead in the run up to the next election, get Labour's mantra into the heads of the non-politicized public.
Otherwise, its sit back and let the new Tory leader dole out money left and right, (as they will have to do) thereby stealing all Labour's clothes and nullifying the TU's.
FGS if Starmer cannot see whats happening in front of his eyes, then Labour right, left or extreme left are finished (for whats left of my lifetime) anyway
Labour have nothing to gain by going full bore at the tories at the moment. Literally nothing a few points in opinion polls this far out from a GE dosent really mean anything.

I suspect they are sitting back a little and waiting, they have very little power against such a big majority to really effect anything either way.

No point going in all in when the country is on the tipping point of disaster, there is a recession coming, inflation is getting out of control and the cost of energy is about to absolutely muller people in the next 6 months. The economy if going to take a battering and we are already in trouble thanks to tory austerity and covid.

Policies and pledges that may seem sensible and achievable now may not be economically viable in 6 months and making promises only to go back on them again is a huge own goal and easy pickings for tory mud throwing come election time.

Labour are just going to have to wait until its election time, asses the wreckage that the tories will be proudly guarding and come up with viable policies to rescue the situation.

OleGunnar20

How do we get rid of this government, now? Genuinely asking. Its a truly frightening time to be trapped on this dreary fecking island.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Ukraine's President Zelenskiy and British Prime Minister Johnson open a plate with his name on the Alley of Bravery in Kyiv. Photograph: Gleb Garanich/Reuters

How will the world survive without such a brave man? Wave a flag and be fooled for one last time before the Village Idiot takes over.

Smores

There's been so many different lines attempted from Tory MPs in the last month to spin any blame towards Putin and away from themselves.

Feck it least you're not dying is certainly a bold strategy from a leader to his citizens.

neverdie

he can get fecked. this has been their line from the beginning. completely dishonest and completely disrespecting the basic intelligence of the average person.

we're still buying gas from russia. this isn't some ideological distinction. it's a method of trying to propagandize a people to accept a disastrously managed economic transition which will make paupers of the relatively comfortable and render the worst off completely destitute.

or a novel idea. all the richest must vacate their houses, beyond the first two, and allow the public to take ownership of them. afterall, we're all in it together, right? and they can also donate any sum of their salary which moves above the living wage. again, we're in it together. yeah, didn't think so.

millionaires and billionaires telling poor people to accept poverty under false pretenses. what a bunch of cnuts.

Tibs

Boris can go feck himself...and he's obsessed with the Ukrainian leader.

I don't see for one second why the British people have to pay for this with their bills...war machine is making billions, energy companies making billions, British people getting financially fecked, and Ukraine getting blown up (as if the Government give a flying feck about them...its more hatred towards Russia)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Oh, hi Boris! Didn't know you were still around because you've been on holiday for ages. It's good to know that you actually have a statement about the cost of living other than "no comment" as long as you're miles away from the country.

Edit: answer me dammit. Why isn't Boris replying to me?!

DavidDeSchmikes

I don't see for one second why the British people have to pay for this with their bills...war machine is making billions, energy companies making billions, British people getting financially fecked, and Ukraine getting blown up (as if the Government give a flying feck about them...its more hatred towards Russia)
it must be galling for the public and businesses who have being fecked over by covid and austerity, only for Boris Johnson who has gone missing this past month to turn around and say "yeah that cost of living crisis, just suck it up and endure it"

Rajma

More hatred towards Russia? What do you mean?

neverdie

More hatred towards Russia? What do you mean?
the russian invasion of ukraine is not the reason for this current state of affairs but it has been used as an excuse and is, by some, still being used as an excuse. macron in his "end of the age of abundance" speech has come close to telling the truth. that the market is essentially fecked, something which won't catch many people by surprise, and that this is the result of a longterm series of issues that were in play prior to february. which would be in play if russia and ukraine made peace tomorrow.

any politician or public servant using war rhetoric as cover for the cost of living crisis is telling you lies and doing it knowingly. the measures coming into effect in france are not for one winter. it will be marketed as that for now, but the transition will take longer than a year. moreover, the general effect of all this is "accept poverty without complaint because other people are dying in a somewhat related but not in any way causal event". and so that's where "russian hatred" is used rhetorically to sell something that has nothing innately to do with russia.

Dan_F

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62664537

What an absolute race to the bottom this contest has been, and Sunak really just comes off terribly every time he opens his mouth.

Firstly, this screams of captain hindsight, I’d be willing to bet that his story of events didn’t happen. Secondly, all it’s saying to me is that he can’t negotiate or influence anyone - hardly a quality you want in a PM.