Westminster Politics

I don't understand that? An employer pays an employee 55% of a weeks wages to work 33% of their hours? So they are paying them for not being there? Can't see them going for that. They'll just have them working their normal hours.

I don't understand that? An employer pays an employee 55% of a weeks wages to work 33% of their hours? So they are paying them for not being there? Can't see them going for that. They'll just have them working their normal hours.
Yeah, I'm a bit confused how they incentivise employers use it.

If I'm an employer with 10 staff doing similar roles to provide 400 hours a week, and I now only need 200 hours a week, why wouldn't I just cut 5 of the staff, rather than spread it out among 10 and have to pay much more in wages?

Presumably they've thought about this and there is some incentive. How does it work in Germany?

Yeah, I'm a bit confused how they incentivise employers use it.

If I'm an employer with 10 staff doing similar roles to provide 400 hours a week, and I now only need 200 hours a week, why wouldn't I just cut 5 of the staff, rather than spread it out among 10 and have to pay much more in wages?

Presumably they've thought about this and there is some incentive. How does it work in Germany?

How does national insurance and employers income tax contributions interact with the scheme?

It may be cheaper for tax purposes to have 10 people on less hours than 5 people on more due to the tax allowances.

It's of course a minimum of 33% of their hours so those at that level won't apply unless they need to retain staff. I'd presume employers will make staff work most of their hours but will claim this.

Hopefully it's less susceptible to fraud as the last scheme.

It's of course a minimum of 33% of their hours so those at that level won't apply unless they need to retain staff. I'd presume employers will make staff work most of their hours but will claim this.

Hopefully it's less susceptible to fraud as the last scheme.
not really I mean if you have enough work for somebody 3 days a week thats 60% of their wages then of the remaining 40% the government will pay 33% the employer 33% and the employee receives 33% less or effectively
employee does 60% of the work and gets 86.4% of the wage
Employer pays 73.2% wages for 60% of the work (plus I believe also has to pay for all contractual benefits in kind eg car, as well as paying NI and pension)
Government pays 13.2% of the wage

I think a lot of people are loosing their job by the end of the month

One of the few areas so far in the pandemic you can’t fault the government on is the furlough scheme and how they protected jobs over the summer.

Realistically though they can’t continue support anywhere near that level going forward because if the only way you’re keeping a job is based on the Government paying a huge chunk of your wage then at some point those people are going to lose their jobs, be it now or in 6 months. I think I read somewhere the German job protection scheme will costs approximately €31 billion by the end of 2021, where as the furlough scheme has already cost the UK £39 billion upto now.

I can’t really see what else they could do here, at some point this is all going to have to be paid back

One of the few areas so far in the pandemic you can’t fault the government on is the furlough scheme and how they protected jobs over the summer.

Realistically though they can’t continue support anywhere near that level going forward because if the only way you’re keeping a job is based on the Government paying a huge chunk of your wage then at some point those people are going to lose their jobs, be it now or in 6 months. I think I read somewhere the German job protection scheme will costs approximately €31 billion by the end of 2021, where as the furlough scheme has already cost the UK £39 billion upto now.

I can’t really see what else they could do here, at some point this is all going to have to be paid back

From the government's point of view that headline 'cost' of the furlough shouldn't be the key consideration though. Even looking solely at the economics of it, the key consideration is how the cost of furlough compares to the cost of the alternative. For example:

If furlough ends and X number of people lose their jobs, how many additional service jobs are lost due to the decline in consumption caused by X people no longer having disposable income? When those people lose their jobs how does that further affect the service industry (and when does that spiral end)? How much would HMRC lose in sales tax due to the decline in luxury goods consumption? How much would HMRC lose in income tax/NI because of the job losses? How much would it cost DWP if a significant proportion of the newly unemployed apply for Universal Credit? How much would it cost to employ the number of staff/pay the overtime required to process that many claims? What would be the impact on the wider Civil Service if, as is already happening, DWP has to borrow staff from other departments to cover the caseload? How much would it cost the government if the end of furlough caused a few major contractors to go under and they had to find and negotiate new deals in this climate?

And then, at the end of the day - how much would the government need to invest into the economy to re-create the jobs it could have saved by extending furlough?

There are thousands of other ways massive job losses could cost the government more money in the long term (additional burdens on healthcare and policing spring to mind). Obviously I don't know the answers to all those questions, but the point is that it's not as simple as saying 'this is costing £Xb so it isn't sustainable' as if furlough exists in a vacuum and the alternative is cost-neutral.

I'm sure it'll make a difference for a few years and sway some folk but eventually these folk will die and the ones that are left will be a generation that grew up getting their knowledge from Twitter and Facebook memes so everything will be fine.

From the government's point of view that headline 'cost' of the furlough shouldn't be the key consideration though. Even looking solely at the economics of it, the key consideration is how the cost of furlough compares to the cost of the alternative. For example:

If furlough ends and X number of people lose their jobs, how many additional service jobs are lost due to the decline in consumption caused by X people no longer having disposable income? When those people lose their jobs how does that further affect the service industry (and when does that spiral end)? How much would HMRC lose in sales tax due to the decline in luxury goods consumption? How much would HMRC lose in income tax/NI because of the job losses? How much would it cost DWP if a significant proportion of the newly unemployed apply for Universal Credit? How much would it cost to employ the number of staff/pay the overtime required to process that many claims? What would be the impact on the wider Civil Service if, as is already happening, DWP has to borrow staff from other departments to cover the caseload? How much would it cost the government if the end of furlough caused a few major contractors to go under and they had to find and negotiate new deals in this climate?

And then, at the end of the day - how much would the government need to invest into the economy to re-create the jobs it could have saved by extending furlough?

There are thousands of other ways massive job losses could cost the government more money in the long term (additional burdens on healthcare and policing spring to mind). Obviously I don't know the answers to all those questions, but the point is that it's not as simple as saying 'this is costing £Xb so it isn't sustainable' as if furlough exists in a vacuum and the alternative is cost-neutral.

Great post. This wild ride certainly ain’t over yet.

Does anyone reckon Cobra meetings are a load of bollocks? It really doesn’t look like the sort of meeting where shit actually gets hashed out. Just looks like a facade with a cool name and photographers (as if they’d be allowed to be present if it was a real thing).

Does anyone reckon Cobra meetings are a load of bollocks? It really doesn’t look like the sort of meeting where shit actually gets hashed out. Just looks like a facade with a cool name and photographers (as if they’d be allowed to be present if it was a real thing).
dont think photographers are allowed in the meetings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin...#/media/File:Cabinet_Office_Briefing_Room.jpg
as for COBRA it stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms - Basically the government briefing all other parties about what the response is so yeah I think its kinda in the name that its not where decisions get made - its where they get all stakeholders on the same page and brief them about the coordinated response
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin... Briefing Rooms,major implications for the UK.

Probably going a bit mental but when I saw the slogan I thought Biden should just go full on Six Million Dollar Man:
Joe Biden, presidential candidate.
A man barely alive.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.
We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man.
Joe Biden will be that man.
Better than he was before.
Better, stronger, faster.

"That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin”

I think it makes sense to 'concentrate' asylum seekers in some sort of 'camp' far away from the UK. Just need to come up with a catchy, gammom-friendly name for them. Patel's parents must be so proud of her.

I think it makes sense to 'concentrate' asylum seekers in some sort of 'camp' far away from the UK. Just need to come up with a catchy, gammom-friendly name for them. Patel's parents must be so proud of her.

Sadly, the fact that they are migrants themselves does not make them pro-immigration.

Some of the most anti-immigrant people I've met have been 1st generation people of colour and sometimes their kids. A mixture of thinking they did it 'right' and these new people don't, a desire to pull the ladder up from themselves and an almost heartening in a way integration into the national psyche where they start talking about immigrants coming over here, taking jobs, benefits etc and putting a strain on schools and the NHS in their Indian or Nigerian or Lebanese accent.

Sadly, the fact that they are migrants themselves does not make them pro-immigration.

Some of the most anti-immigrant people I've met have been 1st generation people of colour and sometimes their kids. A mixture of thinking they did it 'right' and these new people don't, a desire to pull the ladder up from themselves and an almost heartening in a way integration into the national psyche where they start talking about immigrants coming over here, taking jobs, benefits etc and putting a strain on schools and the NHS in their Indian or Nigerian or Lebanese accent.

To be fair the idea that all immigrants should feel kinship is a little odd. They're just people trying to get by like everyone else and their humanity sits somewhere on a gradient like everyone else. Life chances afforded rarely creates motivation to help others.

I think the views you highlight exist but I'd bet they all roughly align with that persons political views across their life.

To be fair the idea that all immigrants should feel kinship is a little odd. They're just people trying to get by like everyone else and their humanity sits somewhere on a gradient like everyone else. Life chances afforded rarely creates motivation to help others.

I think the views you highlight exist but I'd bet they all roughly align with that persons political views across their life.

I agree on all counts. Just because you've immigrated, does not mean you have left wing or liberal views. And in fact in some cases, their experiences can lead to hardening of views (East African Indians for example, which I believe Patel's family are).

I do think we should stop assuming all immigrants/PoC are automatically left wing or labour voters though. Its not a helpful way of thinking and sometimes means we miss what their needs and wants actually are.

By the way, this whole conversation is taking away from the fact that, immigrant or not, Patel is a truly odious person who I had hoped I'd seen the last of when May threw her out. I feel sick every time I see her face. Even if I do find her attractive in an odd, oddly self-hating kind of way....

Is it a coincidence that the Twitter algorithms, which put me on the Naughty Step for 12 hours, align so closely with government policy? Or is it that Lefties get to shut down any version of the truth but their own?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/got-locked-twitter-having-wrong-opinion-covid/

She seems a bit confused.

Somehow Twitter are another leftist attack dog while simultaneously being under the thumb of the conservative government, run by a man they completely identified with until a few months ago. It's amazing how the leftists can "capture" a government yet completely unable to put themselves in government.

I signed up to their free month trial to get a different view of things and was really surprised by one thing. They all seem so angry, so desperate to blame others. You can feel the sense of entitlement driving this genuine outrage. It's a bit weird to me that people enjoy reading that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/got-locked-twitter-having-wrong-opinion-covid/

She seems a bit confused.

Somehow Twitter are another leftist attack dog while simultaneously being under the thumb of the conservative government, run by a man they completely identified with until a few months ago. It's amazing how the leftists can "capture" a government yet completely unable to put themselves in government.

I signed up to their free month trial to get a different view of things and was really surprised by one thing. They all seem so angry, so desperate to blame others. You can feel the sense of entitlement driving this genuine outrage. It's a bit weird to me that people enjoy reading that.

She really is a dreadful piece of work. As is the newspaper she writes for. Re her specific whinges I’ve noticed that both right and left wing Twitter users are constantly complaining that Twitter is biased in favour of the other side. Which probably means it’s getting the balance about right.

I agree on all counts. Just because you've immigrated, does not mean you have left wing or liberal views. And in fact in some cases, their experiences can lead to hardening of views (East African Indians for example, which I believe Patel's family are).

I do think we should stop assuming all immigrants/PoC are automatically left wing or labour voters though. Its not a helpful way of thinking and sometimes means we miss what their needs and wants actually are.

By the way, this whole conversation is taking away from the fact that, immigrant or not, Patel is a truly odious person who I had hoped I'd seen the last of when May threw her out. I feel sick every time I see her face. Even if I do find her attractive in an odd, oddly self-hating kind of way....
Most of my elderly (immigrant Asian) relatives are fairly conservative both financially and socially. I reckon they'd probably be Tory voters if it wasn't for the fact the Tories are seen as anti-immigrant/a bit racist.

Although you'd like to think that being immigrants and goi,ng through that hardship, some would have a bit more empathy with today's immigrants trying to come to this country.