5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

khoazany

He should be more aware of his marker.Sometimes it's not like he's bullied but after he gets the ball he just turns into exactly where his marker is running to.

Anonymous half basically.That happens.

)_(

Van Gaal said in the post match interview on Dutch tv that Januzaj had an issue with his hamstring if I heard correctly. That's why he took him off and played Herrera there. I think game time is most important for Januzaj so a loan would be best. maybe getting him somewhere he'll be scrutinised less will help him more as a player instead of playing in the team we have now where we might not have the patience to watch him grow.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The talent is there and he is just 20, so a bit of patience is important. Think LVG might be better suited to slowly easing him into the team and making him earn his place. As it stands we don't have much cover for the flanks apart from Young and I'm sure he will get plenty of chances throughout the season, as he can play in any of the three spots behind the lone striker (to varying degrees). So there is no need to send him on loan, as we will surely need him for this season.

It will be up to him to win the spot on the team, of course. LVG just needs to build up his confidence and manage his game time instead of forcing the starts, as weird as it may sound (seeing he is a youth prospect who needs game time) but it has to be based on merit. Still, I won't mind it if LVG puts his faith in him and believes he will come good in a while.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
LVG has given him plenty of chances now, there's nothing more LVG can do.

However, Id be curious to hear what this hamstring injury was all about. Might explain why he was so anonymous today.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
The talent is there but he's just not performing well. and there's only so much we can keep trying him.
I'd still rather he swapped positions with Mata properly even though they do tend to swap during the game anyways

facund

Not a fair comparison with Herrera tbf. Herrera had a far more open game when he pushed into number 10 and after the 2nd goal Brugge almost gave up.

Herrera was also wank in the first half and Schweinsteiger behind him helped him more as a 10 too with control than he did with Januza.
All true but we can only judge the players on what we saw and at no point in Januzajs four appearances this season (Brugge were pretty open in the first leg) has he looked as good as Herrera did for those 20 minutes or so. A very limited scope for comparison but that is all we have to work with at the moment.

I have praised Adnan for his previous performances, even if there were a few issues and general sloppiness, and genuinely do see an upside to playing him and letting him adapt to the role but if Herrera can replicate tonight's showing (second half) then I think it would be hard to justify omitting him in favour of Januzaj.

mattsville

Don't think you will see much more of Januzaj, he was awful tonight, think he is a great talent with potential but you have to make it count, and I am all for promoting the youths but he has been poor, the difference when he went off was incredible.

ChaddyP

Always preferred him out wide takin on full backs. Not at #10. Nothing to do with today's performance. Just my general view of him and where he can play properly

Walters_19_MuFc

Done well against Villa, but since then, he's not really progressed from that performance. Don't think he's a 10 at all. If we're going to play him, it should be on the right wing, in my opinion, where he can cut onto his left. Think when he's down the middle, he loses it too much and is not involved in the game enough. Don't think he should start against Swansea. Our 10's should be Herrera and Fellaini, in my opinion.

R'hllor

I know he was hitting gym,had personal trainer too during break i think but he needs more,get more speed,more strength,dont doubt in his footballing skills.Hope he will be an ace for us in the future.

ZDwyr

I think he should be loaned. He's been given a chance and hasn't really impressed. With Herrera doing well in the role after him I would think that both Ander and Fellaini might be ahead of him in the pecking order now.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
May be a loan would be the best option for him. Hasn't taken his chance fully well.

Sereques

I think we should loan him too. Play Herrera instead and if we have..............., there are options. Loan him to Everton.

Mali_Zeus

Sure he wasn't particulary good till now but why loan him. If that happen than what, lets try Pereira so if he's crap too lets loan him.

Fahad Jawaid

We shouldn't loan him i believe he has immense potential and he's going to be a great player for us, but i agree he needs to have more strength, CPl is traditionally far more a tactical contest than a physical one and the way he was man handled yesterday and coupled with his 2 previous outings in the league, i believe every attack is going to break down , i bet if he starts on sunday against Swansea Shelvey will disrupt him with challenges and physicality and it will be difficult for him. I hope Herrera starts in place of him on Sunday.

Ji_Maria

He looked a lot stronger in pre-season, what's happened? Or does he just need to bulk up a bit more?
Chris Eagles looked good for us in 2007 pre-season.

He's just not good enough to be our No. 10 at the moment. No movement, no vision, no confidence.

Rowem

gently, down the stream

He's just not good enough to be our No. 10 at the moment. No movement, no vision, no confidence.
No, I meant physical strength. He looked buff in preseason and strong physically on the ball.

FromTheBench

I actually want him dropping deeper and floating around wide more when we have possession so he can more carry the ball and also attempt more forward passes.

LVG seems to like his #10 to be a support striker in possession pretty much. Though when we lose posession Januzaj was dropping fairly deep yesterday.

OJKernow

Not up for loaning, only takes a couple of injuries or players to drop their level of performance and we'll need him again.

He's had a good run of starts and plenty of minutes under his belt, for a 20 year old playing at #10 for United he's done OK, some signs of what he has in his locker and natural ability and then large spells where he goes missing. Nothing to get drastically excited or disappointed about.

I think we'll see him on the bench for a spell now, still getting some good minutes as a sub and then expect him to start the earlier rounds of the cups and maybe any dead-rubber CL games providing how tough a group we end up in, so come the end of the season he'll have played a lot of football in our first team for someone at his stage of development.

You can see the quality is there, we just need to be patient and where possible give him the time to develop without it affecting the rest of the team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Couldn't be further from the truth. He has very good movement and excellent vision. At his age having a tangible impact on a game and stating involved throughout can be difficult.

I'd just like to see him up his intensity. Seems to play at too low a pace overall. He does something's that make his natural talent blatantly obvious but with time he will hopefully improve his overall involvement.

JoaquinJoaquin

Just not sure what he actually brings to the table in the #10 position. His first touch isn't good enough, He is very weak and too wasteful in possession. Putting him back wide and swapping him with Mata would make the most logical sense, but it's Van Gaal after all so I don't expect that to happen for another 12 weeks or so.

Not going to lie though, if I was Pereira I would be a bit hacked that Januzaj is getting these chances and not making the best of them while he can't even make the bench.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Couldn't be further from the truth. He has very good movement and excellent vision. At his age having a tangible impact on a game and stating involved throughout can be difficult.

I'd just like to see him up his intensity. Seems to play at too low a pace overall. He does something's that make his natural talent blatantly obvious but with time he will hopefully improve his overall involvement.
Agree with this needs to add a bit more aggression to his game, give him some time to grow physically too. Don't think he's ready to be our first choice 10 though right now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agree with this needs to add a bit more aggression to his game, give him some time to grow physically too. Don't think he's ready to be our first choice 10 though right now.
I think he's fine as second choice across all the attacking positions but yeah not quite title winning team first 11 player. I just disagree that he's got "no vision, no movement".

In Rainbows

Always preferred him out wide takin on full backs. Not at #10. Nothing to do with today's performance. Just my general view of him and where he can play properly
I disagree. Beating people is not where his strengths lie. It's only one part of his game. Last year he played the wide role. He's doing better in the 10 role.

Just not sure what he actually brings to the table in the #10 position. His first touch isn't good enough, He is very weak and too wasteful in possession. Putting him back wide and swapping him with Mata would make the most logical sense, but it's Van Gaal after all so I don't expect that to happen for another 12 weeks or so.

Not going to lie though, if I was Pereira I would be a bit hacked that Januzaj is getting these chances and not making the best of them while he can't even make the bench.
His touch is very good. Not sure what you're talking about. I do agree that he needs to get better at shaking defenders off him with strength or hiding the ball with his feet. Also Pereira isn't a 10. He's played there for the youth team and didn't do well. Januzaj is a lot more threatening in the 10 role than Pereira who apart from getting a shot off isn't much of a threatening passer in that role. He thrives with a little more space and without the need to be a consistent threat.

I agree with the others that Adnan needs to be a little more aggressive.

criticalanalysis

I don't get the bulking up thing. If anything maybe he needs to get leaner now. He's probably not match fit but he does seem to lack that first step.

He can definitely make it up with more intensity and aggression though. It'll help if he's get a bit more greedy and realises for all the great passes and touches, sometimes he needs to a be threat himself before defenders respect that and then invariably space will open up elsewhere (for a through ball, team mates making runs etc).

We absolutely need to continue playing him, whether through subs or as a starter.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bulking up won't improve his football IQ unfortunately. He needs to sort out the psychology side of things.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I was ready to write him off (was just underwhelming whenever I'd seen him play), but I think he's improved a lot. Still has a long way to go.

Cantona'sCollar

The next time Mata isn't on the right (so most likely dropped, as LVG doesn't like him centrally), i'd like to see him given time on the right. His ability to go past people is wasted as a 10 because he doesn't have the strength to do it in limited space. We saw in the Moyes season that he likes to run at players instead of having his back to goal, and I think we waste that part of his game when he is in the middle.

That having been said, I am still unsure of where he will be better long term - he certainly has the creativity to play centrally, and excelled there before he broke into the first team (as a false 9, in fact). Hopefully LVG keeps his faith in him and continues to give him games - people are criticising him heavily here, but he's playing regular football for the first time since 13/14 in a new position in a team with a new system. Give him time.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He looks like he's struggling to perform all his duties in the system and remain creative. He might be the sort of player, like Di Maria, who can't thrive under LVG.

However, I like to think he'lol figure it out and then be able to apply discipline and creativity to devastating effect.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Think he is doing ok, much better start than last season. Hope he stays and doesn't got on loan now. Not sure what all the hyper critics are going on about.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I was certainly hoping he would be scoring regularly by now, after his debut season.

But after last season, I'm happy with his progress so far this term.

Makes me think of Zaha, for all his speed didn't have the timing, the understanding of movement and balance to get away from his defender like Memphis can. And just like Giggs could still leave defenders on their butts at 38 with a twist of his hips, Adnan is plenty speedy to create space, he just needs the timing.

No small thing, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.