Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I have to remind myself that he's only been playing for MUFC for only a few weeks. Both Vidic and Evra came in mid season and took a little while to get going and I'm sure we'll see Sanchez play to his potential next season.
They were also 24 and came in from different leagues. Alexis hasn't been that good this season even for Arsenal truth be told. We just had it down to him downing tools due to not wanting to be at Arsenal anymore but there might be more to it than that.

That said, there have been flashes of nice play so I hope him having the summer off for the first time in a while (last summer he was at the Confederations Cup) will do him well.

SqueakyWeasel

Pretty sure that we haven't cracked what to do with him yet but, saying that, I truly believe he will be an invaluable asset once that nut is cracked.

I'd much rather the experiments go on now while the league is gone than at the start of next season (which would have been the case if we bought in the summer).

We WILL be better with him than without him. He's far too good a player not to make a difference.

I think Neville hit the nail on the head last night on MNF (without actually saying it) when he highlighted the areas that Sanchez is currently playing in and expressing his opinion that the little fella should be playing much further up. Every time he circled the area that Sanchez is currently operating in I looked at it and thought "isn't that where Pogba plays his best game?".

This WILL get sorted and we WILL become a better team as a result!

AidanMUFC

He's still finding his feet, trying to find the his comfort zone and how to play with our system.

He's currently trying very hard no-one can deny that. He is always on the move, always try to make things happen and always looking for the ball. We haven't had a player like this in a long time.

He's world class we all know this, we just have to give him time.

Next season you will see the real Alexis Sanchez! :D

cyril C

Pretty sure that we haven't cracked what to do with him yet but, saying that, I truly believe he will be an invaluable asset once that nut is cracked.

I'd much rather the experiments go on now while the league is gone than at the start of next season (which would have been the case if we bought in the summer).

We WILL be better with him than without him. He's far too good a player not to make a difference.

I think Neville hit the nail on the head last night on MNF (without actually saying it) when he highlighted the areas that Sanchez is currently playing in and expressing his opinion that the little fella should be playing much further up. Every time he circled the area that Sanchez is currently operating in I looked at it and thought "isn't that where Pogba plays his best game?".

This WILL get sorted and we WILL become a better team as a result!
IMO this is precisely our Sanchez problem, particularly when Pogba starts as well. Both operating on the left, both drop back deep for the ball, both trying to hold on the ball too long and taking on 3 defenders at the same time. With Sanchez playing deep, there is no-one on the LHS corner, hence no-one to stretch the Palace defence. If and when Young fill up that area, it was already too late with 4 defenders guarding the corner. Beside, Young dare not venture on too often with his defensive duty. Because MU players often pass the ball to the LHS, Lingard and Valencia were never able to stretch their defence neither. So we end up having 5 players squeezing in the middle, plus 6 Palace defenders, while Sanchez/Pogba trying to dribble pass them, and I mean all of them.

For the love of god why cant he play an early pass. You can tell he's still got Arsenal in him, constantly trying to dribble and play little one twos when he should just shoot or pass. It's obvious none of our players have a clue what he's going to do when hes on the ball.

He has to go out on the right, as much to get him away from our fairly well settled left flank as anything else.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he was utterly dreadful. Regardless of what position he's playing in, or the fact that he's new to our squad - it's criminal to concede possession that often and that poorly.

He needs to get with it.

Canagel

The sad and scary thing is that he's not at an age to change or develop different habits. He's astonishingly poor at giving the ball away. Pep saw that at Barcelona and realized he can't coach it out of so he dumped him. It's going to be hard to integrate him into this team.
Pep never dumped him. Infact he'd already left before Sanchez. Yes he gives the ball away a lot but the key is to have him operating in areas where there is less risk to the defence when he gives it away. He's too deep at the moment and you can't afford to lose the ball cheaply in the midfield like he's doing now. He'll try things and is one of the few gamechangers we have so have him further up the pitch and further away from our goal.

JoaquinJoaquin

Terrible last night, no excuses.

I must say though, he should be playing through the middle. It's no co-incidence he has looked his best for us when he has played through the middle rather than being out wide.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I just think he is trying too hard at the moment, he needs to chill a wee bit.

Gary showed a graphic after the game and it illustrated how deep he is playing at the moment, and he isn't really spending much time on the corner of the box, or just around the box in general. He needs to forget about dropping deep the now, and affect play around the box more, as that is where he is deadly. He forced the second goal by just dummying a shot, going inside and hitting it, and the way 3 Palace players threw themselves at him showed the panic he creates around the box. He needs to do more of that, and stay closer to the oppositions goal.

I also think moving in the middle of the season is very difficult, and I think he will be much better next season, but I would love to see him ignore dropping deep for a few games, and stay forward.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This weekend is the moment he becomes a United player. Can feel it.

Last few times we've played Liverpool they've done a good job at doubling up on our best attacking players. Last season at OT Martial was constantly being doubled up on and stifled out of the game. This time round, if we go with an attacking line-up (which I'm expecting), I don't think they'll have the numbers to risk this without leaving significant space for others to abuse. If Liverpool hunt in packs, Sanchez can definitely turn that to his advantage.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Kind of wish Man City had got him. He could have caused massive problems to the balance of their team instead of ours.

In all seriousness, this is a problem for Jose. Not only is he not getting the best out of Sanchez, its meant he's not getting the best out of Martial and Rashford.

Infra-red

Terrible last night, no excuses.

I must say though, he should be playing through the middle. It's no co-incidence he has looked his best for us when he has played through the middle rather than being out wide.
He's less predictable when playing through the middle or on the right. On the left he's always looking to cut inside.

His work rate and intensity is good. In terms of technique, nothing seems to be coming off for him - it's all misplaced passes and dribbling down blind alleys and getting dispossessed. Hopefully a preseason to get to know the team will do him some good.

Can7onA

He's a Chilean Tom Cleverley at the minute, runs around and works hard but ultimately does feck all.

He'll be much better next season.

cyril C

I thought he was utterly dreadful. Regardless of what position he's playing in, or the fact that he's new to our squad - it's criminal to concede possession that often and that poorly.

He needs to get with it.
Sanchez lost a lot of possession in Arsenal as well, this is what he is, although most of the time he would race back to press.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's less predictable when playing through the middle or on the right. On the left he's always looking to cut inside.

His work rate and intensity is good. In terms of technique, nothing seems to be coming off for him - it's all misplaced passes and dribbling down blind alleys and getting dispossessed. Hopefully a preseason to get to know the team will do him some good.
I'm hopeful he'll settle down long before next season. It's still very early days in his United career. A lot of his current problems are down to taking too much on. Once he gets a couple of goals under his belt and the pressure eases a bit I'm sure we'll see an improvement. And each game/training session he plays with his new team-mates will be a step in this direction.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Disgracefully bad last night - if he was a young player and he put on that performance he would rightly be nowhere near the first team for a long time.

Its astonishing the number of times he lost possession. With the form of Sane I'm sure City are not too displeased about missing out on Sanchez.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I just think he is trying too hard at the moment, he needs to chill a wee bit.

Gary showed a graphic after the game and it illustrated how deep he is playing at the moment, and he isn't really spending much time on the corner of the box, or just around the box in general. He needs to forget about dropping deep the now, and affect play around the box more, as that is where he is deadly. He forced the second goal by just dummying a shot, going inside and hitting it, and the way 3 Palace players threw themselves at him showed the panic he creates around the box. He needs to do more of that, and stay closer to the oppositions goal.

I also think moving in the middle of the season is very difficult, and I think he will be much better next season, but I would love to see him ignore dropping deep for a few games, and stay forward.
This, basically.

Bwuk

I don't think he was as bad as people make out and we got the second goal from him making things happen.

Theres a complete lack of movement in our side and Sanchez keeps dropping off to try and get the ball and make things happen.

Rajma

He has to come deep to collect the ball since we move the ball really slowly by the time it would get to him there would be two or three players around him. I like seeing him try risky stuff as all other players are too happy to pass it sideways and backwards.

Rajma

I don't think he was as bad as people make out and we got the second goal from him making things happen.

Theres a complete lack of movement in our side and Sanchez keeps dropping off to try and get the ball and make things happen.
Spot on.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Disgracefully bad last night - if he was a young player and he put on that performance he would rightly be nowhere near the first team for a long time.

Its astonishing the number of times he lost possession. With the form of Sane I'm sure City are not too displeased about missing out on Sanchez.
Disgracefully bad is an overstatement. I just saw a rerun, whilst the first half performance was awful(the same as per all of our team), he played an huge part in the second goal and played a very little part in third goal. Still can get a lot better but he doesn't hide when things aren't going well.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Our narrowness is effectively our game negatively. Sanchez and Lingard are all coming inside and running into trouble, our fullbacks aren't pushed up high enough to make use of the space they vacate.

Our 1 touch link up isn't good enough yet to play like this, so many times we tried give and goes and it got lost.

I feel we were much better when Rashford came on and kept the width out left, that let Sanchez start dictating play and we started hammering them posession wise. That let us turn the screw to score the goals.

Mata didn't just sit inside, he worked the channel and the inside which gave us way more. Lingard on the right side doesn't work, but he made a good 2nd outlet with Mata when we went all guns blazing.

Sanchez definitely struggled but the midfield was so packed he wasn't getting much time, but I feel if we keep the pitch stretched more and isolate him 1v1 he will do much better.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Disgracefully bad is an overstatement. I just saw a rerun, whilst the first half performance was awful(the same as per all of our team), he played an huge part in the second goal and played a very little part in third goal. Still can get a lot better but he doesn't hide when things aren't going well.
He gave the ball away 20 times in one half - that is disgraceful. He was so bad I wouldn't bat an eyelid if it was suggested he should be docked a weeks wages.

That bit when he tackled himself and nearly got injured was laughable.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Ah, he'll be fine once he's had a pre-season with you. This year has been tough for him, what with going out of the world cup and confed cup and then changing clubs midway. Its never a good idea to do business midseason.

red4ever 79

Where to start. Played with zero discipline. Constantly giving the ball away, flapping his arms around like a chicken clucking in the beams of the car. If our intention is to play this guy and not give Martial and Rashford enough game time then we have dropped a Sandra Bullock here

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Where to start. Played with zero discipline. Constantly giving the ball away, flapping his arms around like a chicken clucking in the beams of the car. If our intention is to play this guy and not give Martial and Rashford enough game time then we have dropped a Sandra Bullock here
What?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This tbh. Sanchez clearly hasn’t bedded into the team yet and he is without doubt off-form, but is one of the few players who doesn’t seem to be bouncing around on the pitch like a balloon waiting for things to come to them to do something, but instead seeks to influence and make a difference. He will come good. It’ll take some time I think.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I’m not saying he’s playing well; he isn’t. But considering that he is at least trying to push us forward and do something, some of the criticism is OTT. Better than some of the team who don’t seem to show any desire.

MiceOnMeth

He's playing badly and if this was Mhki we'd be calling for him to be dropped, but knowing how good he is I think it's better to just play him until he eventually comes into form.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
One thing that people (both on this forum and in general) keep forgetting is that he actually played well in his first few games for us. He's obviously struggling now, but he didn't start like this.

His signing without question in the short term has debalenced the squad, it can't be a conincedence that all of Pogba, Martial and Lingard's form have all gone to shite since his arrival
Pogba's form was already shaky before Sanchez, and I don't think it's effected him all that much. Martial I'd agree with as it's completely knocked his rhythm as he was moved over to the right and lost his definite starting spot that he'd earned over the last couple of months. Not sure about Lingard - I think his loss of form was more because he was moved into a deeper role in a midfield three, so I don't know if that happened because of the arrival of Sanchez or if that would have been tried anyway.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'd cut him some slack until the end of the season because it is difficult to move club in January even if you are PL experienced. If things haven't improved next season then I'd worry.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
One thing that people (both on this forum and in general) keep forgetting is that he actually played well in his first few games for us. He's obviously struggling now, but he didn't start like this.

Pogba's form was already shaky before Sanchez, and I don't think it's effected him all that much. Martial I'd agree with as it's completely knocked his rhythm as he was moved over to the right and lost his definite starting spot that he'd earned over the last couple of months. Not sure about Lingard - I think his loss of form was more because he was moved into a deeper role in a midfield three, so I don't know if that happened because of the arrival of Sanchez or if that would have been tried anyway.
Lingard was never gonna keep that incredible scoring run anyway so a bit unfair to think that Sanchez affected.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
2 of the games prior to Sanchez's arrival was Everton away and Stoke at home where Pogba was MOTM in both, he was definitely better before Sanchez's arrival

iHicksy

Interesting enough I asked my work mate who's a huge arsenal fan and goes to most games what we could expect of Sanchez and he did say "well you can expect him to give the ball away a lot that's for sure" so don't think that this aspect of his game is anything to do with us, or the system.

JK-27

Not a great game by Sanchez last night, but you couldn't doubt his work rate and, more importantly, it was great to see him talking to his team mates, urging them on to the win we were 2-0 down. Pogba wasn't doing any of that.

LoneStar

Certainly hasn’t matched his reputation till now. I feel Jose should give him a more rigid role. Also Sanchez, you can pass to your teammates, no need to take on all the opposition by yourself.

Would like to see him play on the right more.

Deleted member 101472

Not one fan can honestly give him more than 5/10 for his overall contribution since he joined. He’s supposed to be ready made world class talent, used to the league and an example to everyone else on the pitch. I’m sure he’ll come good, but right now I’d be comfortable if he missed out for a while.

raphe brown

Sanchez needs to be dropped, he deserves the exact same treatment that Martial has been given. Personally I think Mourinho is way to tuff on Martial. Sanchez has been dire since he has joined and deserves to be dropped!

Last edited by a moderator:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I have to remind myself that he's only been playing for MUFC for only a few weeks. Both Vidic and Evra came in mid season and took a little while to get going and I'm sure we'll see Sanchez play to his potential next season.
Ffs :lol: Comparing a 29 year old PL veteran to Evra and Vidic. You have to realize the situations are not comparable at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.