Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silas

JoaquinJoaquin

People were spitting their dummies out when Mkhitaryan was absent week after week without explanation, then he comes back in, rips it up, and suddenly Jose has handled him fantastically, now Martial has vanished and people are crying, could we not just have a bit of trust that Jose might actually know what he is doing here.
This is a different situation IMO. Martial has been trying harder the last few games and like the Sunderland game for example, was man of the match and then completely dropped the game after. There is no consistency at all when it comes to Martial. Add to the fact Martial seems to be having issues off the pitch just makes it all the more delicate. Jose needs to play this one carefully with Martial, it's not Mkhitaryan who is more of a fighter in his character. I must admit though, if I was Martial and I wasn't getting in the squad while Lingard played in front of me, I'd see the comedy / tragedy in it.

SirAF

Ageist
I am sorry for having a greater attachment to a player who was 19 years old and carried our team for a whole season in his first season than a manager who I admittedly admire greatly but hasn't ultimately performed as well as he could have this season.

It's as if any opinion that doesn't agree with the 'bigger' posters on here is outrageous or silly.
It is when it is completely wrong!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
But so could me or you, doesn't mean we should be playing for the club.
Look at it from the other perspective - he's trying to light a fire under him because he doesn't want to see that talent wasted.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Look at it from the other perspective - he's trying to light a fire under him because he doesn't want to see that talent wasted.
I hope you're right because seeing limited players like Lingard playing over him is very frustrating.

Duafc

Village Lemon
As much as I like Martial and believe he could be a top top player, he doesn't help himself.

He has always looked an extremely moody player and his bottle is in question.

This year, when he has played he's been double marked in almost every game, but he hasn't adapted at all. He slows it down and wants to run the ball incessantly, usually always inside. Easy to mark out of a game for me.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
As much as I like Martial and believe he could be a top top player, he doesn't help himself.

This year, when he has played he's been double marked in almost every game, but he hasn't adapted at all. He slows it down and wants to run the ball incessantly, usually always inside. Easy to mark out of a game for me.
Its difficult when there's no support from left back no matter who plays there but he had been improving of late. Liverpool had three players on him most of the time with Darmian nowhere to be seen. What are you supposed to do when you've got nobody to pass to?

Don't think he can help how he looks though. For ages Valencia was made fun of for not smiling but his dedication isn't in doubt. @JPRouve, a Monaco fan, said that Martial's always had that expression on his face.

liamp

Its difficult when there's no support from left back no matter who plays there but he had been improving of late. Liverpool had three players on him most of the time with Darmian nowhere to be seen. What are you supposed to do when you've got nobody to pass to?

Don't think he can help how he looks though. For ages Valencia was made fun of for not smiling but his dedication isn't in doubt. @JPRouve, a Monaco fan, said that Martial's always had that expression on his face.
Using the way he looks or his demeanor as a point of detraction is infuriating to me. Pogba called him an old man in a teenager's body when they were doing media for Euro '16, because he was much more mentally calm and mature than a player of his age normally is. The fact that the narrative has shifted to him being petulant and languid because it happens to suit the argument against him is ridiculous.

Duafc

Village Lemon

Definitely. If Luke Shaw was playing the way most of us know he can and he has (very occasionally) shown, it might be much less of a headache.

That said there are still players around him to play with. For me he would create far more problems and be in the game far more if he actually went to the by line or tried to link with Zlatan, Pogba or any of our attackers a little more.

As for his attitude, I don't mean his face, I mean his body language. He does show frustration and undoudtedly flits in and out of games, coupled with his agents issues with the club it doesn't paint a fantastic picture of a young player working hard.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

A journalist asked him why he wasn't more expressive on the field and he just answered that he was focused, he likes to stay silent before games and during them he is just focusing on football.

Also the reason why I'm not worried about Martial-Mourinho is because Martial himself said that Jardim has been harsh with him and told him to work harder on the training ground, Deschamps did the same in 2014 when he went to Monaco and saw a training session. Martial has always responded well to managers who were straightforward, so as long as Mourinho doesn't play games and tells exactly what he thinks to Martial there will be no problems.

Last edited:

bucky

A journalist asked him why he wasn't more expressive on the field and he just answered that he was focused, he likes to stay silent before games and during them he is just focusing on football.

Also the reason why I'm not worried about Martial-Mourinho is because Martial himself said that Jardim has been harsh with him and told him to work harder on the training ground, Deschamps did the same in 2014 when he went to Monaco a saw a training session. Martial has always responded well to managers who were straightforward, so as long as Mourinho doesn't play games and tells exactly what he thinks to Martial there will be no problems.
That's reassuring. Hopefully the same thing will happen here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He's languid in his style for sure. But apart from that, he's never appeared to be a problem player to me. Always tracks back well, and isn't greedy or petulant or arrogant. That's why I'm not completelay buying Mourinho side of the story. It's easy to say "Listen to me, I'm your manager", but it's not always the right thing to do. Pogba didn't listen to Fergie and made a brilliant choice by believing in his own talent and readyness big time. Also, that we've got "lots of competition" for Martial position is also crap. I mean players like Lingard. Really?

Duafc

Village Lemon
He's languid in his style for sure. But apart from that, he's never appeared to be a problem player to me. Always tracks back well, and isn't greedy or petulant or arrogant. That's why I'm not completelay buying Mourinho side of the story. It's easy to say "Listen to me, I'm your manager", but it's not always the right thing to do. Pogba didn't listen to Fergie and made a brilliant choice by believing in his own talent and readyness big time. Also, that we've got "lots of competition" for Martial position is also crap. I mean players like Lingard. Really?
I don't really think he's a problem player, but potentially a patchy player/confidence player.

I don't think for a second Mourinho rates Lingard as highly as Martial, or any of our options outside of Mkhi but at some point you have to give people a chance, very bad for the dressing room not to.

Martial needs a run of games, but in the opportunities he's had he hasn't been good, with the exception of a handful of games. Sugar coat that or explain it away as him not being given a proper run but ultimately it's down to Tony!

I don't think he'll be sold and I fully expect him to find better form and put the issue to bed, but no one should have the right to start and all the talent in the world doesn't erase a season of largely dreadful performances.

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
Mourinho lives to create necessary drama & conflict. Winning is simple when you play your best players. If you are mad that your team isn't scoring goals, removing your best left winger from the squad won't help.

I wish i was a reporter so the next time Mourinho says Martial isn't good enough, i could ask him why Martial, per 90 mins in the PL (compared to Rashford, Mkhi, Lingard), has the most take-ons, the best take on %, the best shot accuracy, the most assists, and best attacking score. Doesn't the team need any of those to score goals?
Instead of complaining about Martial, how about helping him out by playing a fullback who's willing to cross the half way line and offer some support? Mourinho deserves to be benched for his poor performance far more than Martial does.

Hawks2008

I bought a Memphis shirt last season and now he's gone. Bought a Martial shirt at the beginning of this season and he looks out the door at this rate. Who should I curse next season?

unimaginative_name

I bought a Memphis shirt last season and now he's gone. Bought a Martial shirt at the beginning of this season and he looks out the door at this rate. Who should I curse next season?
Please buy Mourinho's training kit, he annoys me.

Last edited:

Cantona_Forever

Think the squad vs Wigan will tell a full story about Martial. Once we see it we will know for sure his situation.

Right now we only know 2/3 of the story. We know where his agent stands. We know where Mourinho stands. Only Martial we are not quite sure. Once the squad name is out, we will know.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Both JM and AM are to blame here. JM has Martial playing far from goal with no support and has not given consecutive games to find rhythm. Dropping him at West Ham was out of order, and Lingard played worse than Martial ever has there.

Martial needs to work on how he lays the ball on the run, and tell his agent to stop talking but that's about it. He has done okay, he was okay against Liverpool too. Selling him would be a disaster, and would come back to haunt Utd.

MUFC OK

Please buy Mourinho's training kit. I hate him.
Who would you rather have as our manager? A Diego simeone who has no PL experience and who we potentially couldn't get or someone else.

Hope José sorts this Martial situation out, as he's potentially world class and IMO will carry us to titles if he's here during his peak years.

MUFC OK

Think the squad vs Wigan will tell a full story about Martial. Once we see it we will know for sure his situation.

Right now we only know 2/3 of the story. We know where his agent stands. We know where Mourinho stands. Only Martial we are not quite sure. Once the squad name is out, we will know.
He will be on the bench/left out entirely again, cueing a mass meltdown similar to when mkhi wasn't picked against Stoke.

Cantona_Forever

He will be on the bench/left out entirely again, cueing a mass meltdown similar to when mkhi wasn't picked against Stoke.
If he is left out entirely, the clock is ticking.
If he's in the squad but not start, Mourinho is 50/50 about him.
If he starts, he has done something right behind the scene. At least he didn't do anything wrong after that "frustration" article.

MUFC OK

If he is left out entirely, the clock is ticking.
If he's in the squad but not start, Mourinho is 50/50 about him.
If he starts, he has done something right behind the scene. At least he didn't do anything wrong after that "frustration" article.
Not sure it's that pivotal, but would expect him to be involved, probably off the bench. Either way, it's imperitive that we keep him, imagine if we had sold ronaldo after a few average performances (of which there were many, and plenty of fans were happy for him to leave). I suppose the difference was that ronaldo was clearly working his socks off behind the scenes to the point where he was destined to succeed.

Terminator

Mkhitaryans absence could atleast be put down to being new to the league and had to adapt to it, therefore needed time. What the hell is wrong with Martial? He was our best player last season IMO and he is a delight to watch. Yes, his performances have been inconsistent but he is a 21 year old. We cant expect world class performances week in week out from him, not yet.

I have zero trust in Mourinho handling this situation well. He had KDB under his fecking nose for a year and he was blind to his obvious talents.

wiz4231

Martial has not put a bad performance in, he's been no worse than rashford or certainly no worse than Lingard. Maybe he hasn't hit the height of last year but neither has rashford and that's the reason his omission from the squad bugs me, the way he's been treated is poor. He's a far better prospect than the other 2 but he is being shown far less confidence in him and as a result is showing far less confidence in himself. Its sad to see when some of our best performances came with martial, Zlatan and miki as our forward 3.

Womp

idiot
Mourinho lives to create necessary drama & conflict. Winning is simple when you play your best players. If you are mad that your team isn't scoring goals, removing your best left winger from the squad won't help.

I wish i was a reporter so the next time Mourinho says Martial isn't good enough, i could ask him why Martial, per 90 mins in the PL (compared to Rashford, Mkhi, Lingard), has the most take-ons, the best take on %, the best shot accuracy, the most assists, and best attacking score. Doesn't the team need any of those to score goals?
Instead of complaining about Martial, how about helping him out by playing a fullback who's willing to cross the half way line and offer some support? Mourinho deserves to be benched for his poor performance far more than Martial does.
Yep, I'm sure a manager who has won everything there is to win, multiple times and with multiple different clubs doesn't possess the football knowledge to answer the question of someone who isn't even involved in the sport.

You lot are all whining for no reason, if Martial isn't working hard enough he doesn't deserve to play, simple as. Jose expects more from him knowing how talented he is and if Martial doesn't provide it he doesn't have a divine right to play. Despite being immensely talented, e isn't Lionel Messi, he can be replaced. Lingard and what not might not be as talented, but they work their bollocks off and when things aren't going your way (which they aren't at the moment given our drop in form) those are the kind of players you want around and on the pitch, not immensely talented players who walk around looking like they are sulking.

Martial is my favourite player at the club but people genuinely calling for Jose's head over this scenario need to get their heads checked, this guy has managed much bigger egos and players than Martial. Zlatan fecking Ibrahmovic has nothing but respect for the man, that's all there is to say about the influence he has on his players, whether or not Martial wants to buy into his ideals is completely up to him.

There is absolutely no reason Jose wouldn't take a liking to Martial, he doesn't have some hidden agenda to get him out of the club, he himself spoke multiple times about how good he was for us last season, only reasonable explanation could be Martial isn't showing enough effort behind the scenes and if that's the case he will never hit the heights we all imagine he will anyway.

No manager will leave a player as talented as Martial out of the team if he was giving 100% effort, especially not one as experienced as Jose. I genuinely believe this whole saga is Jose pushing Martial to start pushing himself, it's either earn your stripes and prove to everyone how strong your character is or feck off imo.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
After watching us last night we need a rejuvenated Martial asap. We looked dreadful going forward. Guys like Jesse can do a job once in a while but Martial on form is far ahead any of his rivals in that position.

So far it hasn't hurt us that badly yet but if we want to get top 4 Mourinho needs to find a way to get through to him and get him in the side.

SirAF

Ageist
Yep, I'm sure a manager who has won everything there is to win, multiple times and with multiple different clubs doesn't possess the football knowledge to answer the question of someone who isn't even involved in the sport.

You lot are all whining for no reason, if Martial isn't working hard enough he doesn't deserve to play, simple as. Jose expects more from him knowing how talented he is and if Martial doesn't provide it he doesn't have a divine right to play. Despite being immensely talented, e isn't Lionel Messi, he can be replaced. Lingard and what not might not be as talented, but they work their bollocks off and when things aren't going your way (which they aren't at the moment given our drop in form) those are the kind of players you want around and on the pitch, not immensely talented players who walk around looking like they are sulking.

Martial is my favourite player at the club but people genuinely calling for Jose's head over this scenario need to get their heads checked, this guy has managed much bigger egos and players than Martial. Zlatan fecking Ibrahmovic has nothing but respect for the man, that's all there is to say about the influence he has on his players, whether or not Martial wants to buy into his ideals is completely up to him.

There is absolutely no reason Jose wouldn't take a liking to Martial, he doesn't have some hidden agenda to get him out of the club, he himself spoke multiple times about how good he was for us last season, only reasonable explanation could be Martial isn't showing enough effort behind the scenes and if that's the case he will never hit the heights we all imagine he will anyway.

No manager will leave a player as talented as Martial out of the team if he was giving 100% effort, especially not one as experienced as Jose. I genuinely believe this whole saga is Jose pushing Martial to start pushing himself, it's either earn your stripes and prove to everyone how strong your character is or feck off imo.
Thank you for that good and sane post!

Ixion

It sucks but there must be a problem with his attitude. Hopefully he sorts it out.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Mourinho also a similar strong tactic on Benzema when at Real Madrid, even criticizing him more than Martial. Benzema became a better and hardworking player as a result. This is the key, how will Martial react, there are things I don't agree with Mourinho but on this situation, he is handling the best possible way.

VanGaalEra

Both JM and AM are to blame here. JM has Martial playing far from goal with no support and has not given consecutive games to find rhythm. Dropping him at West Ham was out of order, and Lingard played worse than Martial ever has there.

Martial needs to work on how he lays the ball on the run, and tell his agent to stop talking but that's about it. He has done okay, he was okay against Liverpool too. Selling him would be a disaster, and would come back to haunt Utd.
Dropping him at WHU wasn't out of order, they agreed that playing 2 games in 48 hours after he'd been out for a couple weeks wasn't a smart thing to do.

SteveW

Leaving him out of the last two squads hasn't helped the team. We've been crap going forward.

VanGaalEra

This thread went full Mkhi after being left out last night. Bet you'll now see reports of him being unhappy, not happy with Jose's words etc just as we saw with Mkhi.

It's all too predictable from the media. Though why would they stop writing clearly fabricated articles when you see just on this forum alone how much people buy into them.

Godfather

Leaving him out of the last two squads hasn't helped the team. We've been crap going forward.
That's pretty much the thing. We obviously do not have a better option than him so leaving him out really doesn't make all that much sense (Although Rashers was alright yesterday. Lingard wasn't though).

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
If anyone needs to be dropped and sent away is Lingard and not Martial.

C'est Moi Cantona

This is a different situation IMO. Martial has been trying harder the last few games and like the Sunderland game for example, was man of the match and then completely dropped the game after. There is no consistency at all when it comes to Martial. Add to the fact Martial seems to be having issues off the pitch just makes it all the more delicate. Jose needs to play this one carefully with Martial, it's not Mkhitaryan who is more of a fighter in his character. I must admit though, if I was Martial and I wasn't getting in the squad while Lingard played in front of me, I'd see the comedy / tragedy in it.
Some people would have you think he's not playing Martial out of spite, or because he wants an inferior player to play instead.

Something is clearly going on, but personally I don't want to second guess what it is, Jose has decided it's the right thing to do at this point and that's good enough for me, maybe in a few weeks time we'll be reaping the benefits of it.

sugar_kane

We can't underestimate the impact his problems in his private life are having on his mentality.

It's fairly understandable given that he's still a kid himself, in an unfamiliar country, with a young child and a broken marriage (and a gob shite of an agent) but he also needs to understand that he's a very highly paid professional and needs to get his head straight and focus on his performances.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think it will represent something much bigger than Martial alone. Sir Matt Busby and SAF built this club using young players. If we can get rid of Martial, there's no reason why over the next few years he won't get rid of Shaw, Rashford, TFM and future academy prospects. Should he continue in that vein as he pretty much did at Chelsea, I would be surprised to see some fans not turn on him.

In saying that, all of this is hypothetical. I'm just getting more concerned now.
Fergie hardly used youngsters in his final 6-7 years when we were going for the wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.