5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

That's incredibly optimistic considering PL keepers are already catching on to his trademark left curler..
Maybe, talking all competitions, so potentially 45+ games. Already has 8 this season and in recent weeks has been showing a lot more variation in his threat, good runs off the ball coming in from the wing. Been on the end of a lot of chances, but yes he has to work on varying his finishing choices away from the soft curler to the far post.

He could still be massively annoying scoring 15 mind, just think it is the nature of that role now.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He gives us that valencia style rw work rate thats useful even if he want be a stat menace.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Say it again... If he could finish it really would curtail a lot of the criticisms that come his way

Ted Lasso

Really good player in the making. Need to try hard and dissociate him from the price tag

daveskimufc

Bad decisions today. But I like Antony. We actually have a right wing! How long have we waited. As soon as we get a useful striker he can work with he will be great

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He has started shooting to the near post when he cuts in (like I told him to...) and would've scored only for the Brad Friedel regen.

flappyjay

This guy plays AGAINST our team. There is no other explanation for his low IQ decision making.
I am genuinely surprised to see the praise. He is a huge part in our low goal return, he should have left this game with 2 assists if his iq wasn't so low.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Bad decisions today. But I like Antony. We actually have a right wing! How long have we waited. As soon as we get a useful striker he can work with he will be great
Proper striker running channels to give him more space and time to surge inside and to receive his passes will do him world of good.
Still think it is a decent debut season from him. People who expected a finished article after leaving dutch league settling easily in a team in transition expected too much. Look at Mahrez or Salah, they didn't have their breakthrough season yet at that age.

At least we know we have a hardworking player who is a proper RW and good fit for the system.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He did fine. There are bits there and decision making will hopefully come as he matures. The fact that he’s getting in the positions so often is very promising.

glasgow 21

Poor decision making in the final third = less goals = less points = less chance of earning a CL spot. Nice pass to Martial, but players really do need to be held accountable for holes in their game, otherwise we will never improve.
Poor decision making to pass to who Sancho and Martial ,yeah good one, might aswell boot it out the part 99% of the time then. He defend his area and the ball shits to his feet . Martial couldn't even make a 5 yard pass to Ericksen in the middle of a breakout early in the second half. Antony can receive a ball at pace, control it and has a goal threat. He could easily have had 3 goals today. He plays for the shirt and doesn't go hiding in the game. You put a real NO.9 on there and Antony will be a different prospect. As long of folk on here continue targeting of this guy whist ignoring the shit play of others I will stand up for him.

Arnold Layne

He still has a lot to learn and he has the talent to succeed. He needs to refine some areas of his play which he will. He had a good performance today and more consistency will increase his confidence.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Did really well most of the game until it came to the final ball, which I'd say he messed up every time except twice (the assist for Martial and the late near-post shot which was good despite the keeper saving it).

He's creating the opportunities, just needs to get that final decision right more often.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Poor decision making to pass to who Sancho and Martial ,yeah good one, might aswell boot it out the part 99% of the time then. He defend his area and the ball shits to his feet . Martial couldn't even make a 5 yard pass to Ericksen in the middle of a breakout early in the second half. Antony can receive a ball at pace, control it and has a goal threat. He could easily have had 3 goals today. He plays for the shirt and doesn't go hiding in the game. You put a real NO.9 on there and Antony will be a different prospect. As long of folk on here continue targeting of this guy whist ignoring the shit play of others I will stand up for him.
I agree that having a proper striker available will help him next year.

ManRed

There seems to be some improvement in his game. Clearly he is responding to coaching and doing things slightly differently every game. His decision making needs a lot of work though. 10-15 years of coaching has not taught him to use his right foot so dont think he will miraculously start using it in a few weeks.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Decision making still poor but at least he was a constant threat.

As for Sancho.....oh dear.

Someone

Something
Hi decision making and finishing are terrible. He puts a good shift for the team but he needs significant improvement. This has nothing to do with the price tag, but ETH considers him a starter and he can't be a regular with that brain.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There seems to be some improvement in his game. Clearly he is responding to coaching and doing things slightly differently every game. His decision making needs a lot of work though. 10-15 years of coaching has not taught him to use his right foot so dont think he will miraculously start using it in a few weeks.
I have high hopes for him next season. The frustration is driven by how good he could actually be if he diversifies his game and improves his decision making (both will happen in time).

HookedOnAPhelan

He got an assist using his right foot today..

Do you people even watch our games? Or do you just come in here to moan?

DrBenjamin

Supports
Ajax
Would antony actually be better as left winger? No more cutting inside and shooting on goal, but crossing the bal in the box for someone to head/tap in

flappyjay

Yes he should have slipped martial in on that 1st opportunity. Martial even if you don't like him is the better finisher of the 2. Today there were players waiting for him to pass and the excuse is that they don't deserve his passes. He leads counter attacks that lead to nothing so many times and he should be held accountable as part of our low goal return.

united for life

Exciting player to have. Lots of energy on the right hand side (unlike what we get from Sancho when he’s playing left or right). Although he seems to favor cutting into the middle for a shot, this actually work well most of the time in terms of dribbling past a defender. What he desperately needs to work on is the end product. I do not have a statistic, but from what i’ve seem, he misses the target altogether too much. After doing most of the work, i at least expect him to hit the target. This is something the coaches should help him improve. Otherwise, a great energetic second half of the season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think it's pretty clear that @Raoul isn't a big fan of Antony!

He's a bit frustrating at times but I think he's moving in the right direction unlike some we could name, better decision making being the main one he needs to improve on (and heading)

With a proper striker we should see better results, I don't think he'll be a 15-20 goals a season guy but 10 or so and more assists is something he can and should be capable of

caid

I like him.
I'm not expecting him to trouble balon d'or lists or be a stat monster as a couple of others have said. I think he's a solid, professional 7 every week though. I think with the mentality and penchant for disaster that exists elsewhere in the squad thats pretty valuable. The final ball / goal return might come, I think we'll get good use out of him even if it doesn't.
I know its a low bar but this is the best our right wing has been in a decade and it feels like its by a clear margin.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Luke Shaw managed even longer to learn to use his right foot so there's still hope that Antony can improve it

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think it's pretty clear that @Raoul isn't a big fan of Antony!

He's a bit frustrating at times but I think he's moving in the right direction unlike some we could name, better decision making being the main one he needs to improve on (and heading)

With a proper striker we should see better results, I don't think he'll be a 15-20 goals a season guy but 10 or so and more assists is something he can and should be capable of
On the contrary. I like him as a player, which is actually the source of my frustration.

I had a similar vibe from very early Nani as well, and he improved in subsequent years. Expect the same from Antony.

glasgow 21

Yes he should have slipped martial in on that 1st opportunity. Martial even if you don't like him is the better finisher of the 2. Today there were players waiting for him to pass and the excuse is that they don't deserve his passes. He leads counter attacks that lead to nothing so many times and he should be held accountable as part of our low goal return.
So it Antony's fault our goal tally is low aswell. Hell we don't need SJR or SJ money all we to do for success is get rid of Antony as he is the main issue thanks for straightening me out there. So 197 corners last year and 181 this year and how many goals ? free kick busting the back of the net ? Top it all off i repeat we have no No.9 of note (Rashford exception) most of the season. The circus of Ronaldo , Sancho, Injuries, suspensions have all hurt the team's rhythm. At least the lad is trying and runs for the shirt. At least he tracks back which all in is more than most have done in years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He made a few bad decisions which appear to be borne out of a lack of faith in his passing ability. But his strengths have to be acknowledged too - he got a good assist, played a part in most good things we did including starting the counter for the 2nd and his defending is superb. He was our second best contributor among the midfield and attack today after Bruno

CloneMC16

I am genuinely surprised to see the praise. He is a huge part in our low goal return, he should have left this game with 2 assists if his iq wasn't so low.
I think the lad is mostly bad, but I will give him credit for actually doing something on the pitch. He's gets into decent positions, but his decision making is so awful. Can't stand it. It pisses me off. We score quite a few more goals with a player that looks to pass over shooting 90% of the time.

I honestly couldn't believe he passed to Martial for his goal. I was convinced he was going to try and chip the keeper.

I really really like him, brilliant attitude, works his arse off, actually attacks, constantly gets on the ball and into dangerous areas.
He’a not the finished article, but he’s a very good addition that will only get better.

flappyjay

So it Antony's fault our goal tally is low aswell. Hell we don't need SJR or SJ money all we to do for success is get rid of Antony as he is the main issue thanks for straightening me out there. So 197 corners last year and 181 this year and how many goals ? free kick busting the back of the net ? Top it all off i repeat we have no No.9 of note (Rashford exception) most of the season. The circus of Ronaldo , Sancho, Injuries, suspensions have all hurt the team's rhythm. At least the lad is trying and runs for the shirt. At least he tracks back which all in is more than most have done in years.
He is a winger with a low goal and assist return in the league as well as creating chances for the team. So yes he is of our low goal return. Also show me where is said he is the sole reason for the low goal return. It doesn't matter if its weghorst, Martial, Rashford or Ronaldo he just wants to cut in and shoot. So we have to believe that when it's kane/Osimhen he will start creating chances for them?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There's much more to come from him but I don't believe we win today without him. He was a constant threat and his movement and understanding of space opens up opportunities for him, which others struggle with. His ability to connect, combine and linkup with team mates is superb. And his understanding of space where he knows exactly where to position himself inside or out-wide opens up the long diagonal. It's easy to see that he's been coached well by ten Hag, and at 23 years old he's still going to improve. His ability in defensive transition is also a plus point and he's got that dawg in him.

And when our issues at the back get exposed by teams who press high effectively, it will effect a player like Antony and we'll see the same criticisms again. Wolves aren't the best when it comes to pressing high and hence our build up play was better and hence we have more control in possession.

Sadly the left hand side was dead.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
There's much more to come from him but I don't believe we win today without him. He was a constant threat and his movement and understanding of space opens up opportunities for him, which others struggle with.
You aren’t wrong, but he needs to play with a lot more awareness and improve his decision making. He has 2.32 xAssists for the season, which is completely understandable when you see today’s effort. It’s all well and good making exciting dribbles, but ultimately pretty pointless if you can’t find the teammate in acres of space at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.