Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Utd 5:2 Galatasaray (Pre-season)

Rossa

Is it just me or does he seem better through the middle than as a right winger? I know he performed really good as a rw for Dortmund, but the PL is different. I also think he looks to thrive on sending through quick players, and we could certainly use a very quick right winger as Valencia will be used as a fullback and Lingard isn't that quick nor that good.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is it just me or does he seem better through the middle than as a right winger? I know he performed really good as a rw for Dortmund, but the PL is different. I also think he looks to thrive on sending through quick players, and we could certainly use a very quick right winger as Valencia will be used as a fullback and Lingard isn't that quick nor that good.
Two games is too small as a sample size.

Rossa

Two games is too small as a sample size.
True - but he doesn't strike me as a player that goes past players for fun, more one that exploits spaces in and around the defense. PL defenses of late have been very compact, especially the lesser teams. We should be looking to attain a player a bit in the mould of a young Nani.

Ole90+3

True - but he doesn't strike me as a player that goes past players for fun, more one that exploits spaces in and around the defense. PL defenses of late have been very compact, especially the lesser teams. We should be looking to attain a player a bit in the mould of a young Nani.
I know what you mean, and would tend to agree. He certainly isn't a winger in the natural sense of the position. Can see him being utilized as an inside forward or attacking midfielder - I think that it where he will be most effective for United. Very good first touch and dribbling with good vision and the ability to play quick through balls.

tob

His awareness is great. That turn he did in the middle, at around 20min(?), was a great move. However, the rest of the players didn't react quickly enough for that move to lead to anything good - basically they were just standing still.

He also has speed, vision and an eye for both assists and goals. Which, I believe, should give him the no.10 spot ahead of both Rooney and Mata.
But, with those qualities, he could also do a good job on the right wing. Furthermore. If we were to play Mkhitaryan through the middle, who should be played on the right wing? Would you trust Lingard to be our main right winger for the season?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
:)

I will be surprised if Mhkitaryan does not go back to the number 10 role at United this season. Seems almost invisible this first half. His game is more suited in a free role, finding space and making intelligent runs.

goin4glory

Number of times he's been in great positions or made good runs and the pass hasn't arrived or was far too late. The guy's awareness and movement off the ball is top notch and the rest of the team need to learn how to take advantage.

hungrywing

His awareness is great. That turn he did in the middle, at around 20min(?), was a great move. However, the rest of the players didn't react quickly enough for that move to lead to anything good - basically they were just standing still...
Been a couple of those moments. Which is about two more than the past three years combined. So a definite improvement of sorts.

Agree he just screams #10.

Number of times he's been in great positions or made good runs and the pass hasn't arrived or was far too late. The guy's awareness and movement off the ball is top notch and the rest of the team need to learn how to take advantage.
From henceforth this should probably just be the default comment regarding any player we get from Dortmund.

Walters_19_MuFc

:)

I will be surprised if Mhkitaryan does not go back to the number 10 role at United this season. Seems almost invisible this first half. His game is more suited in a free role, finding space and making intelligent runs.
With the way we've been playing, he has been able to do that. Just hasn't been able to get into the game that much, but he definitely has been able to cut in and find pockets of space.

We could do with a deep lying playmaker like Carrick to find players who drop into pockets, because it seems that Schneiderlin and Herrera can't really spot the passes.

Devil may care

Both games where he's played wide have been quiet in comparison to his excellent performance as the #10, shame he wont get to start there.

Marcelinho87

Both games where he's played wide have been quiet in comparison to his excellent performance as the #10, shame he wont get to start there.
That excellent performance also came against Wigan, lets not forget that the opposition for the other two were much tougher.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Wigan parked the bus like it was a CL final between a giant & a minnow. They gave us all the space and allowed him to run through the midfield without ever pressuring him.

The delicate flowers that our fans are, come down heavy when I jokingly suggested that he is the Armenian Kagawa, but we are gonna face similar problems with him like we did with Kagawa and Mata. Is he a 10 or should he be on the left or should he be on the right - that'll be the theme of this thread for 75% of the time this year.

He has more pace which'll be useful on the counter but is less skillful and not as clinical in front of the goal as Mata. He is a cog, a tidy player, not the difference maker we need for the right attacking midfield or at 10.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Wigan parked the bus like it was a CL final between a giant & a minnow. They gave us all the space and allowed him to run through the midfield without ever pressuring him.

The delicate flowers that our fans are, come down heavy when I jokingly suggested that he is the Armenian Kagawa, but we are gonna face similar problems with him like we did with Kagawa and Mata. Is he a 10 or should he be on the left or should he be on the right - that'll be the theme of this thread for 75% of the time this year.

He has more pace which'll be useful on the counter but is less skillful and not as clinical in front of the goal as Mata. He is a cog, a tidy player, not the difference maker we need for the right attacking midfield or at 10.
This might well turn out to be true. Let's hope not.

When concerns were raised in the transfer thread muppets assured everyone that he was very good on the right. Now 3 games in we already have sprinklings of "Should play through the centre". You could see this coming from a mile.

Gbenger

This might well turn out to be true. Let's hope not.

When concerns were raised in the transfer thread muppets assured everyone that he was very good on the right. Now 3 games in we already have sprinklings of "Should play through the centre". You could see this coming from a mile.
You shouldn't take the muppets too seriously though. They'll say basically anything to get us to sign a player they want.

I think it's still quite early to draw conclusions on him yet but the worries aren't unfounded.

Adisa

Less skilful than Mata? Anyone that has watched him regularly knows that is bullshit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
From henceforth this should probably just be the default comment regarding any player we get from Dortmund.
Blaming other players for their own failings? Let's hope not. Harsh to judge Mikhi on two games where our midfield was completely overrun. I suspect he'd have enjoyed yesterday a lot more had Ashley Young stayed on the bench.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shouldn't really judge players based on pre-season games, especially considering the pre-season we're having.

Mark Pawelek

Less skilful than Mata? Anyone that has watched him regularly knows that is bullshit.
Mata is the more skillful player but Mata also has weaknesses not seen in Mkhitaryan. Mkhitaryan has an excellent all round game, with all the skills needed to play attacking midfield and is good at defending. Better than Mata at dribbling too; Mata will get knocked off the ball too easily if he tries to dribble. Mata free kicks are better, and passing is superb.

So it depends what we mean by "skillful". If we're talking ball control, passing :- Mata is better. Perhaps Mkhitaryan passing is weaker because he's more attacking?

Adisa

Mata is the more skillful player but Mata also has weaknesses not seen in Mkhitaryan. Mkhitaryan has an excellent all round game, with all the skills needed to play attacking midfield and is good at defending. Better than Mata at dribbling too; Mata will get knocked off the ball too easily if he tries to dribble. Mata free kicks are better, and passing is superb.

So it depends what we mean by "skillful". If we're talking ball control, passing :- Mata is better. Perhaps Mkhitaryan passing is weaker because he's more attacking?
What I mean by skilful is that Mkhitaryan is more able to beat players that Mata. That might be because of his pace. But if I need a player to go past his man, I would rely on Mkhitaryan more than Mata. 10 out of 10 times.
His ability to play on the right should not be judged on the last two games. Dortmund was a complete disaster on all levels. Our foward players hardly saw the ball. Same with the first half yesterday.
As I wrote earlier. Two games is too small a sample size.
The comparison with Kagawa is also getting boring. They are very different.

M Bison

Supports
York City
A lot of people saying he's more suited to a no 10 role, where did he play for Dortmund?

Jose has clearly bought him to play wide, but if that's not his best position, seems an odd move.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
He needs to play a whole game on the right and cement himself there. He's good enough, it's just that he hardly receives the ball which makes him look worse than he is. He's a player that needs the ball to make things happen.

Obiorahking_

He needs to play a whole game on the right and cement himself there. He's good enough, it's just that he hardly receives the ball which makes him look worse than he is. He's a player that needs the ball to make things happen.
Definitely, he is also not so bad off the ball as he is capable of making great runs on the counter, just like he did at Dortmund. He will be fine,Tuchel wasn't an idiot to start him there most games.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Definitely, he is also not so bad off the ball as he is capable of making great runs on the counter, just like he did at Dortmund. He will be fine,Tuchel wasn't an idiot to start him there most games.
Yeah. If he played in the second half you would have seen a different type of player. Young had the ball a lot and I think if Mkhi was in his place then we would have created more chances.

Man Utd 0:0 Everton (Pre-season)

Truedevil

Pretty underwhelming performances from him so far, although in a more settled team he will have his chance to shine.

Is he a right winger though?

JoaquinJoaquin

Getting a bit of a bad feeling about this signing. Hopefully just a hiccup until he gets fully fit.

Marcelinho87

I thought once he went central he looked quite tidy and looked for the runs in behind which never came, I think had Lingard and Ibra still been on he would have had an assist or two.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'd hate to be right about him as well.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He looks ineffective so far, not in sync with rest of the team and not in match rhythm. Will get better but I suppose he will take some time to adjust to EPL. Not sure I would start him over Lingard right now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hasn't impressed but that doesn't really matter at this ridiculously early stage.

IhabX7

Players who excel in Dortmund's setup will find it much harder playing for us. Unless we adopt a similar setup or give the player time to adapt.

Bwuk

Jesus christ, let's judge players after friendlys and testimonials.

Status
Not open for further replies.