5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

Obviously for us and at that level of exigence.
Not so good for a very soon to be 23 year old. Now or never time for him. Hopefully he will take some confidence from the last 15 minutes of tonight's game and remain in the first team picture. He lacks so much but if he can find a way to add more to his good movement and positioning, he could have a role to play here.

Classical Mechanic

How can you call a player who had a poor first half and then comes on with a point to prove in the second (proving that point very well) a confidence player? A confidence player's head would have dropped by that point.
I believe he is talented but lacks confidendence, he is a little weak too. First half he was playing it to safe all the time, which I criticised him for because to me he looked nervous. Second half he triying the hardest thing, the volleyed cross and got his reward. That was my point. But I don't see him being a United player long term. Congratulations to him for tonight but we need much better players than him to move forward.

Robbie Boy

Just want to add. Despite the number of times he lost possession, he never stopped trying. There's players who go into their shell, but he showed a strong mentality, which is vital when playing for a club like United.
Well that's to be expected from an academy lad.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Always thought that he has this "X" factor on the final third of the field. Hopefully he can improve on the other 2/3.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not so good for a very soon to be 23 year old. Now or never time for him. Hopefully he will take some confidence from the last 15 minutes of tonight's game and remain in the first team picture. He lacks so much but if he can find a way to add more to his good movement and positioning, he could have a role to play here.
That means nothing, some players are late bloomers.

Walters_19_MuFc

Well that's to be expected from an academy lad.
Not necessarily. Playing in the first team is a big step up to the academy. Expectations are so much different. For example, when he played a sloppy pass tonight, there were groans of 75,000 people. You wouldn't get that in the academy.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He lost possession because he was being direct and taking risks which is exactly what we need. He did well - especially considering he's not best suited to constantly dribbling at defenders and playing ambitious passes, but he was happy to take on that extra attacking responsibility that was needed rather than playing the safer pass and move approach that he is best at.

ChaddyP

Went Super Sayan mode in the last half hour of the game. Think he was our most influential player. Was very pleased for him and voted him my man of the match. Has very good pace and his dribbling was spectacular at times. Great assist and should have had a goal or two.

Shurou

I'm enjoying the run of games he is being given, and it was a nice reward for him that he got an assist after driving our team forward again and again, even if not every one of his attempts came off.

m1y2

Yeah I don't lack football knowledge, I simply know not overrate a performance. I see good movement, I also see plenty of free room for him to move into. Martial was active in the first half as well, you know, but didn't have the space Lingard received. If you wanna deny that, maybe you should learn to pay more attention to how the opponent plays us. ;)
well he certainly didn't have a poor first half and his second half performances was actually best of all our players with the crucial assist. What's nothing to be excited about? It almost seems like you and other peope like to discredit him and can't see the benefits he brings to our team... he's no ronaldo and noone raves about him like he is but he deserve credit and to be praised unlike some other frustrating players we've seen.

I won't discuss how much space Martial had nd how much lingard, he certainly attracted more attention but he also played more advanced role where it's natural. Anyway I never compared Martial and Lingard in this game and discredited the frenchman so why do you even bring him up.. If he made a bit of space for his palyers than okay but Mata couldn't make use of it and Lingard even not even him is a winger.. there were so many times he wasn't even spotted or some of our palyers were scared to pass it through to him, particularly Blind. Lingard's movement a finding pockets were excellent and that made him top 3 player of the game... encouraging thing is that he and his performances means that he gets gametime over 28m wonderboy from Holland and will probably get game time over Mata next couple of games who still belongs to one of the best palyers in the premier league.. so we will see but hard not to be excited..

Shurou

Not sure why some posters are so adamant in writing him off. Have your opinion, but don't knock him unfairly. His second half performance especially was a big part in getting that goal and win. I wonder if the people unhappy with Lingard hold every other player to the same standards...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lingard has been "fantastic"? Feck me our standards are at rock bottom at the moment.
They are tbh. That said, he was a livewire, a great source of creativity and was very brave. Short of quality? yeah but our team is so devoid of threat, we need someone like Lingard at the moment.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Jesse was part of a lot of terrific youth sides at the club where the off the ball movement was exemplary. It was so much fun to watch people like Ravel, him, Larnell and Adnan etc score some class goals for the team and I feel that he has carried that over to the top level. He is one of the few players who is never still and always trying to make good runs which is massive for aa static offense like ours

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
well he certainly didn't have a poor first half and his second half performances was actually best of all our players with the crucial assist. What's nothing to be excited about? It almost seems like you and other peope like to discredit him and can't see the benefits he brings to our team... he's no ronaldo and noone raves about him like he is but he deserve credit and to be praised unlike some other frustrating players we've seen.

I won't discuss how much space Martial had nd how much lingard, he certainly attracted more attention but he also played more advanced role where it's natural. Anyway I never compared Martial and Lingard in this game and discredited the frenchman so why do you even bring him up.. If he made a bit of space for his palyers than okay but Mata couldn't make use of it and Lingard even not even him is a winger.. there were so many times he wasn't even spotted or some of our palyers were scared to pass it through to him, particularly Blind. Lingard's movement a finding pockets were excellent and that made him top 3 player of the game... encouraging thing is that he and his performances means that he gets gametime over 28m wonderboy from Holland and will probably get game time over Mata next couple of games who still belongs to one of the best palyers in the premier league.. so we will see but hard not to be excited..
I bring Martial up the same reason you bring Mata up, who I never mentioned in any of my posts until you did, which is to make comparisons to show my point of view. I also don't wanna discredit him in any way, but every time an academy player has a good performance, people tend to overrate them. I think he can be a squad player for us for a long time, no doubt about it. But I also want to put his performance of tonight in perspective because I know once he doesn't play well, things will turn the other way really quickly. It's the same procedure on here every time. Young player plays well and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, young player struggles and he's the next Bebe/Obertan/Nani.

The same happened with Adnan. He had his breakout season under Moyes, struggled under van Gaal and at those times when he still put in decent performances, people couldn't view them as solid or good because the expectations that were previously set were so ridiculously high that his follow-up performances could only be disappointments.

C'est Moi Cantona

Fair play to him, he did ok and was at least positive, but unless he is given the number 10 role then he'll be on his bike when we get some proper wingers in, he just doesn't convince on the wings for me.

Maybe LVG will give him a go just off the striker, but the competition is fierce for that spot just now.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think he's good enough to be a consistent starter considering the level we wish to aspire to.

That said, he is a good squad option. And he was good today. Good mentality shown throughout the game.

Kag

Can't knock that second half performance. He played with a lot more conviction. Still lacks real star quality, mind you.

Crashoutcassius

Did decent. Won't do him any harm. Works hard and is quick, can dribble, and undoubtably can finish better than he showed tonight, hopefully that will come with experience, was this only his 3rd or 4th old trafford game?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think he's doing well. Nearly in every game, he's assisting or almost scoring. He just needs to take his chances. I think he showed a great mentality today because he started to take responsibility as the game progressed and he will only get better with more confidence.

gza the genius

He was frustrating at times but he was also the only player that really looked like creating something. Really pleased about the assist, it was a great touch by him.

Brightonian

If nothing else, he's showing that the gulf in quality between reserves and first-teamers that we're always being told about when we talk up the youngsters is massively overestimated. He's always been a good player and he has a great brain on him but make no mistake, we're not looking at a player as gifted as Januzaj, Wilson, Pereira, Harrop or Pearson here. Just a good young player with a sound head on his shoulders and a great attitude who's actually being given a proper opportunity.

talking robot

Would love to see a front three of him, young, and martial with martial in the middle. I think that group would create a lot of chances.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If nothing else, he's showing that the gulf in quality between reserves and first-teamers that we're always being told about when we talk up the youngsters is massively overestimated. He's always been a good player and he has a great brain on him but make no mistake, we're not looking at a player as gifted as Januzaj, Wilson, Pereira, Harrop or Pearson here. Just a good young player with a sound head on his shoulders and a great attitude who's actually being given a proper opportunity.
Dunno how you define "gifted" but he's a much better player than both those two, who still have it all to prove.

I thought he was excellent tonight. Really came of age. Delighted for him.

Brightonian

Dunno how you define "gifted" but he's a much better player than both those two, who still have it all to prove.
Two different things entirely. I'm comparing raw talent, by looking at how good they were at the only level that they've all played at on a level platform - for the United youth teams. I won't argue it with you anyway, because in terms of those two I wouldn't claim there's that much in it. Harder to compare to Pearson of course because he's a very different player.

Lingard's a great little footballer and my actual point is basically that you just have to play these kids, not caution about some imaginary gulf which they'll never be good enough to bridge while not giving them the chance to prove you wrong. Which seems to be what we're doing. Hopefully when Januzaj comes back from a so-far-successful loan at Dortmund we'll continue the trend with him. Depay's lukewarm form certainly leaves an opportunity there, especially if Rooney eventually gets dropped:

Martial
Januzaj Mata Lingard​

dogwithabone

I'm not his greatest fan but I thought he did well tonight, especially last twenty minutes. Certainly the best I've seen from him in a United shirt. He does look a touch weak which is worrying considering he's 23, he should be at optimum strength at this stage of his career.

On tonight's showing he's worth persevering with for a bit longer but the clock is ticking as far as making as a regular is concerned. I'm hoping his development might be a bit like that of Fletcher. I thought he looked weak in his early games but then suddenly - well when Keane left - this top class footballer full of strength and power emerged.

Andy_Cole

I don't think he was good. Positive yes. But seemed nothing pulled off for him. I found him very frustrating.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Two different things entirely. I'm comparing raw talent, by looking at how good they were at the only level that they've all played at on a level platform - for the United youth teams. I won't argue it with you anyway, because in terms of those two I wouldn't claim there's that much in it. Harder to compare to Pearson of course because he's a very different player.

Lingard's a great little footballer and my actual point is basically that you just have to play these kids, not caution about some imaginary gulf which they'll never be good enough to bridge while not giving them the chance to prove you wrong. Which seems to be what we're doing. Hopefully when Januzaj comes back from a so-far-successful loan at Dortmund we'll continue the trend with him. Depay's lukewarm form certainly leaves an opportunity there, especially if Rooney eventually gets dropped:

Martial
Januzaj Mata Lingard​
I don't think that's true though. We've given a fair youth products a chance recently. Just maybe not the ones that fans rate the highest. I'm happy enough that these decisions are based on what they're showing in training, rather than some sort of strange personal dislike for them as individuals. Our fans tend to be fairly crap judges of who will/won't make the step up from what I've seen (including myself in that, by the way!)

Brightonian

I'm not his greatest fan but I thought he did well tonight, especially last twenty minutes. Certainly the best I've seen from him in a United shirt. He does look a touch weak which is worrying considering he's 23, he should be at optimum strength at this stage of his career.
You've probably already heard this because it gets mentioned ad nauseam on here, but he's always been way behind the curve physically. Fergie actually predicted that Lingard wouldn't come into the first-team situation until he was 22ish because of his size.

Brightonian

I don't think that's true though. We've given a fair youth products a chance recently. Just maybe not the ones that fans rate the highest. I'm happy enough that these decisions are based on what they're showing in training, rather than some sort of strange personal dislike for them as individuals. Our fans tend to be fairly crap judges of who will/won't make the step up from what I've seen (including myself in that, by the way!)
Sorry, you misunderstood me - by 'what we're doing', I meant that we are giving them a chance. Badly constructed sentence.

Gerald G

His end product needs improve but he was our most threatening player. Always positive and trying to take players on with good dribbling ability. He got on the ball many times and was pretty wasteful in some occasions but did get the assist and as I said he was lively. He's got to start vs West Brom in my opinion.

Obiorahking_

It is a learning curve for this guy, getting his first consistent piece of first team action and he has looked pretty damn good especially when you consider that he plays out of position a lot. Really good second half from him.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I dunno, Wilson has been fairly anonymous since being promoted for the most part and he tore things up for the reserves. Could be Lingard's loans are playing dividends or something has just "clicked" for him at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.