Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's nothing to do with being an early or late bloomer. He's 23 next month and has barely played a PL game, it doesn't bode too well for him. I feel last season he should have went out on loan to a PL team and it would have been a good development period for him. Instead, he stated the first game against Swansea and got injured. He then went on loan to Derby at the wrong time. He went when they pretty much imploded. Before that, they looked odds on for promotion and were playing some good football.
What about most of the 92 lads? They were similar age and don't forget Jesse lost a season with us because of injury. Though at that time LVG had him at fullback...bloody hell. I think if he keeps his composure, he'll do well for us. He gave us a good energy yesterday when others were strolling or taking too long

JackXX

People need to decide what they want from our players. I thought he was very good. He took players on. He took risks. He got the assist and had defenders back peddling all game. So what he lost the ball a few times that's what happens when players take risks. Go win it back and start again. It's not like we struggled to keep the ball what did we have 70% of possession? I'd rather see someone like Lingard having a go than the constant backwards passes from our front and wide players this season. That's why we create so little in games.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Noted that Van Gaal told him to ignore the fans.

Born2Lose

People need to decide what they want from our players. I thought he was very good. He took players on. He took risks. He got the assist and had defenders back peddling all game. So what he lost the ball a few times that's what happens when players take risks. Go win it back and start again. It's not like we struggled to keep the ball what did we have 70% of possession? I'd rather see someone like Lingard having a go than the constant backwards passes from our front and wide players this season. That's why we create so little in games.
Agreed, it seems a lot of people want players who takes risks that always come off well.

Personally I'd take Lingard's approach everytime over the sterile play I saw in the Palace game.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's weird, isn't it? People accuse us of being too safety oriented and passing the ball around pointlessly without taking any risks and then actually one players tries to take risks and loses the ball a couple of times and he's slaughetered for that.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It's RedCaf, isn't it? People accuse us of being too safety oriented and passing the ball around pointlessly without taking any risks and then actually one players tries to take risks and loses the ball a couple of times and he's slaughetered for that.
Fixed

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Very good mental strength from Lingard. One of our top 3 performers based on that alone, and the fact he was our most dangerous attacker.

Very direct, lost the ball a bit and was a bit wasteful, but had the composure & belief to keep going. Which is great to see. Great assist too.

Deserves to start and let's hope he kicks on from here.

lysglimt

Scout
Will Lingard ever be Ronaldo ? No - of course not. But he kept attacking their defense over and over again - and yes he lost the ball quite a bit, but that probably has a lot to do with lack of experience and match fitness.

Lingard did really, really well - and that pass to Rooneys goal was sublime.

Sid234

I don't remember him being so good at dribbling.
Yeah, When I've seeb him play, he's been more of a playmaker, than a player who runs at players and tries to force an opening.

Might have more to do with him playing on the left and being able to cut in

Red_Beans

I always think it's a great sign of character when players can produce a good second half, after a poor first one. Lots of young players would have gone into their shell, so huge credit to him for doing the opposite.
Very good point. I think his attitude and mental strength are at this stage his biggest strengths

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He tried to attack and took risks to force something to happen. I don't care if he lost the ball a few times, his sheer determination to force something out of nothing gets plaudits from me and an assist for him. Great game.

Viral United

Thanks I thought I was alone in thinking he has great game (in both half).
Yes he lots the ball so what? Not every attack create goals.
He is perfect player for LVG system, more direct, ready to take risk and force the issue.

Robbie Boy

What about most of the 92 lads? They were similar age and don't forget Jesse lost a season with us because of injury. Though at that time LVG had him at fullback...bloody hell. I think if he keeps his composure, he'll do well for us. He gave us a good energy yesterday when others were strolling or taking too long
I think by the age of 23, given he's a talented enough lad, he should have more experience by now. It's going to be a big season for him. Lets hope he stays injury free and can push on from last nights performance.

m1y2

he would actully be much better utilized bit deeper in midfield s one of the b2b player. for tht position his dribbling would be good enough, while all the movement finding the pockets and clever one twos would mke him better player there. would actully be great if someone like pereira played next to him on the wing so they could interchange their positions. almost like in reserves a couple of yers ago..

jem

I only really saw the second half, but I thought he was brilliant. To have what is essentially a prospect (he's started only a handful of games for us,) take the attack to the opposition like, with such penetration, was wonderful to watch. Of course, his end product is a bit off (I didn't see his misses in the 1st half, but read about them,) but once he improves that, we could have a real player on our hands. How satisfying that it's also a homegrown player.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Very nice to see him getting a good run in the team. Showing some quality at times - just lacks composure really. That's his only downfall that may stop him being a permanent fixture in the squad. Had three or four chances yesterday, some clearer than others, in which he should have done much better at finishing or should have played someone through rather than going for a long shot. Less rushing and he'll be very useful for us.

jem

Completely agree. Martial is so exciting for the same reason: he constantly takes it to the opposition. Of course, this is going to result in lost possession, but it gives such a cutting edge to an otherwise blunt attack. Lingard last night was what I was expecting to see from Depay.

Minimalist

Didn't see the game but a great assist from him in a crucial moment of the game.

Nickosaur

Amen. Brightest player on the night. First half he could have been accused of being wasteful when it came to his final ball but he was lively, stretching play and running at players. Constantly taking up dangerous positions with clever movement. I thought he was great.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Amen. Brightest player on the night. First half he could have been accused of being wasteful when it came to his final ball but he was lively, stretching play and running at players. Constantly taking up dangerous positions with clever movement. I thought he was great.
Well, he was too wasteful for my liking. He got into good position and did many things right, but in the end, he didnt do enough with the ball. If he can add some end product and quality delivery, he could be a very interesting option for the future

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I thought he was fantastic. He excited me and I wanted him on the ball all the time which is something I rarely feel about any of our players nowadays.

Could care less about him losing the ball because at least he offered a spark. Taking risks > keeping it safe.

Nickosaur

Well, he was too wasteful for my liking. He got into good position and did many things right, but in the end, he didnt do enough with the ball. If he can add some end product and quality delivery, he could be a very interesting option for the future
Yeah I rolled my eyes a few times in the first half with some poor crosses and shots. But at the same time I loved his bravery and willingness to force something, his directness was refreshing. I just hope he continues to get opportunities and patience from the fans, because he could be a great and versatile option for us to have for years.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Really pleased he's getting a chance though I do doubt whether he has the quality on the ball and the strength to make it here. Takes up very clever positions

Ibi Dreams

Really pleased he's getting a chance though I do doubt whether he has the quality on the ball and the strength to make it here. Takes up very clever positions
Seems pretty good technically to me. Besides that, he is currently offering a few things that most of our players are not. I can see a long term spot in the squad for him, but I wonder if he'll want to move on to play more

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Depends on the kind of manager and style of play we have. If we play a possession oriented game with nifty passes and triangles in the final 3rd, he is a quality player. If we go the Fergie way and demand an all action winger who succeeds in taking people on, he might not be the right player.

An article in MEN quoting Fergie from 3 years ago.

“Jesse Lingard is going to be some player,” he said three years ago.

“He is 19, came through our youth system and is built like Jean Tigana was for France.

“But he never got into the limelight there until he was about 24, and I think that will be the same with Lingard.

“He will become a player when he’s 22 or so. As an attacking midfielder he has got a really good talent. I think he will be a player we have high hopes for, definitely.”

Trizy

Depends on the kind of manager and style of play we have. If we play a possession oriented game with nifty passes and triangles in the final 3rd, he is a quality player. If we go the Fergie way and demand an all action winger who succeeds in taking people on, he might not be the right player.

An article in MEN quoting Fergie from 3 years ago.
Was just about to post this, very interesting read. Looks like he's right.

OldTrevil

I believed in Lingard's talent the first time we saw him on pre season a couple years ago. I was beginning to think he was going to waste. I'm glad he's getting opportunities now and he's taken them fully so far. I thought his last performance was great. I'd rather see our forwards taking risks even if they loose the ball than being safe most of the time.

Classical Mechanic

He is only in the team as we don't have enough pace in that area which Van Gaal 'loves'. I do not see a future Manchester United player out there, just a player with the requisite talents to 'balance' a faulty team. Once the team is fixed he will be at West Brom with the rest of them.

Sid234

He is only in the team as we don't have enough pace in that area which Van Gaal 'loves'. I do not see a future Manchester United player out there, just a player with the requisite talents to 'balance' a faulty team. Once the team is fixed he will be at West Brom with the rest of them.
Wow! You must be quite a talented scout to know better than Van Gaal, Fergie and the rest of the staff who rate him so highly!

His pace is not even his greatest asset. To say there's nothing more to his game than his speed is wrong. If pace was all that Van Gaal was looking for then he'd have gone with Depay on the wings or kept someone like Nani or Zaha.

m1y2

the widemen taking risks is good when we play attcking football with high pressing line. it was the case last night, so hopefully we try to win the ball asap as if we sit deep it only will look like a waste, taking forever to recover the ball. the biggest issue of ll issues is not the patient build up but the pressing we present with. everytime we bounce back from boring games and loses we are more active without the ball and it¨s overall much better performance. the players like lingard would thrive in the system so hopefully we stick to it..

m1y2

now this is really silly. lingards much more than pace, hes only make-shift winger and did really well despite playing out of position what itself is very promising.. if he ends up one of our str plyers in the future squd player or at some other club it only time will tell. but we witnessed over years that not every tlented player reaches its potential, the sme mout of plyers outgrow their potential due to intelligene nd hardwork that is the case with lingard, harry kane or someone like fletch in the past and jesse certainly has got talent

Classical Mechanic

Wow! You must be quite a talented scout to know better than Van Gaal, Fergie and the rest of the staff who rate him so highly!

His pace is not even his greatest asset. To say there's nothing more to his game than his speed is wrong. If pace was all that Van Gaal was looking for then he'd have gone with Depay on the wings or kept someone like Nani or Zaha.
I am not saying that pace is his only asset, nor am I saying that he isn't highly rated. I do believe he is PL standard. I just think his position will be number one priority on the scouting list and he will be sold within two years.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Agreed, it seems a lot of people want players who takes risks that always come off well.

Personally I'd take Lingard's approach everytime over the sterile play I saw in the Palace game.
My point exactly.
Last year it was the same with Di Maria, who was one of the few players taking pot-shots from all areas of the pitch. LVG didnt like this high risk approach and the rest is history.

With regards to fans:
If a players take risks, they get negative feedback - he wasted possession
If a player plays safe and side/back passes, to maintain possession - he is boring and scared to attack.

I, for one, like the fact that everytime Lingard got the ball, he looked to either create a chance or score a goal. That's what I like about Memphis, too - he does exactly the same thing.
Rooney, does the opposite - back to goal, stops counter attacks and likes to back pass.

podurban2

I am not saying that pace is his only asset, nor am I saying that he isn't highly rated. I do believe he is PL standard. I just think his position will be number one priority on the scouting list and he will be sold within two years.
Time will tell. Judging by the last three games he has been one of our best players. If he keeps that going, he has every possibility to make it here. Sure, he may face tougher competition and will see himself ending up at the bench more often than not. But to write him off at this point is ludicrous. He could become at least as successful as a player like Antonio Valencia with his hard-working attitude and multifaceted box of tools. We will always need a strong squad, and many of our players during our most successful campaigns have not been made up by "luxury signings."

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
My point exactly.
Last year it was the same with Di Maria, who was one of the few players taking pot-shots from all areas of the pitch. LVG didnt like this high risk approach and the rest is history.

With regards to fans:
If a players take risks, they get negative feedback - he wasted possession
If a player plays safe and side/back passes, to maintain possession - he is boring and scared to attack.

I, for one, like the fact that everytime Lingard got the ball, he looked to either create a chance or score a goal. That's what I like about Memphis, too - he does exactly the same thing.
Rooney, does the opposite - back to goal, stops counter attacks and likes to back pass.
What he actually didn't like was ADM dribbling into a crowd of players, loosing the ball and then not being arsed to win the ball back, a bit like Memphis now.
As we can see with Lingard, and sometimes with Januzaj, taking players on and taking shots is allowed, as long as you do it at the right time. ADM also misplaced his passes far too often, as with Memphis right now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.