g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsville

Just glad he is playing, magic little player, thought he was a bit uptight in the game, lacked a little of his normal composure, on his game a wonderful natural footballer full of confidence and doesn't make a fuss of anything.

Timdbro

Not sure what all the negativity's about here - he had a very good second half, was one of our only players trying to take people on whenever possible, and made things happen quite a few times. In fact I'd go as far as saying he was our main source of creativity in that half.
Also, the way he was dribbling past players near the half way line shows that LVG can't simply be telling his attacking players not to try stuff.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not sure what all the negativity's about here - he had a very good second half, was one of our only players trying to take people on whenever possible, and made things happen quite a few times. In fact I'd go as far as saying he was our main source of creativity in that half.
Also, the way he was dribbling past players near the half way line shows that LVG can't simply be telling his attacking players not to try stuff.
The negativity is probably due to him losing the ball a lot. Not just a little but a lot. Besides that assist pretty much all he did was losing the ball. Basically Depay with pace. He needs to show more to stay in there. I was surprised that he didn't come off for Pereira who's a better player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He did well, for a young player, but overall I thought he was decent at best. Lost the ball a lot and ruined a lot of chances. But he definitely has potential and a good attitude as well, never gave up despite things not going well before the assist. Put it this way, with the chances he had and positions he was in, if it was a better/more experienced player in his position, we probably would've scored a few and it would've been a comfortable victory for us.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
It looked like he was out the door during the summer, but he's been playing very well. Really good attitude.

Devil may care

aye, pretty much spot on.

didn't have the best of first halves but still looked dangerous. stayed positive and got an assist.

i'm still not convinced he'll make it here, but he deserves his chance and i really hope he proves me wrong. should start at the weekend.
His mentality is excellent, just keeps trying and keeps working hard.

I think he can make it here as a good squad player for sure.

suheilsworld

He has taken these starts very well. Like said by others can be a good squad player or even become a starter until we bed Memphis into the team or sign someone. He needs to start converting those chances and you never know he might become our next Young.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
First half was very meh but improved loads in second half. Never ever hides and stop trying which is commendable.

mav_9me

First half was very meh but improved loads in second half. Never ever hides and stop trying which is commendable.
That mentality is probably his most important strength and which will be key for him to successfully establish himself in the squad.

KM

That mentality is probably his most important strength and which will be key for him to successfully establish himself in the squad.
In the first half, he was constantly losing the ball but yet had the confidence to again be creative and make something happen instead of choosing the safer option.

One thing which has surprised me so far in his first team stint is that his shooting usually very composed.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What I liked about is how he never gave up and never stopped trying, even when things weren't working out for him. There was a big difference between his two halves.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Really like him. He does so many things so well. Also, has a bit more pace than I thought he had.

The confidence to shoot and make the better final pass will come as he gets more game time. May be I am insane, but I prefer him over Mata on the right. Last night showed that if we played more direct and with width, we are still capable of bothering the opposition defenses.

Ryan7

Hope he gets more games. Has very quick feet and works hard. I wish he'd play on the right wing over Mata.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hope he gets more games. Has very quick feet and works hard. I wish he'd play on the right wing over Mata.
Yep agree it's refreshing to see someone be so positive on the ball. Him and Martial really ask questions of opposing teams.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I liked his eagerness to take on defenders and run till very end. Kept going and going. Clearly LvG rates him given the chances he is getting and he can get better in final 3rd/penalty area with more games.

Robbie Boy

Not necessarily. Playing in the first team is a big step up to the academy. Expectations are so much different. For example, when he played a sloppy pass tonight, there were groans of 75,000 people. You wouldn't get that in the academy.
I mean the work ethic. Generally all the players we bring through have a good work ethic and keep trying no matter what.

Robbie Boy

They are tbh. That said, he was a livewire, a great source of creativity and was very brave. Short of quality? yeah but our team is so devoid of threat, we need someone like Lingard at the moment.
I like his work ethic and he seems to pick up good positions and move well off the ball. After that, I'm struggling to see any kind of quality that will make him become a long term option here. As I said though, I'm hoping he can use his positive attributes to get a run in the team or at least stay in the first team picture. That way, it'll be evident whether he can add more to his game.

Robbie Boy

there is nothing great in being an early bloomer, as long as the player manage to reach a high level that's great.
It's nothing to do with being an early or late bloomer. He's 23 next month and has barely played a PL game, it doesn't bode too well for him. I feel last season he should have went out on loan to a PL team and it would have been a good development period for him. Instead, he stated the first game against Swansea and got injured. He then went on loan to Derby at the wrong time. He went when they pretty much imploded. Before that, they looked odds on for promotion and were playing some good football.

Red_Aaron

He was by no means perfect but I gave him motm purely down to his constant attacking intent. He brought genuine urgency, something we've lacked of late, and never gave up even when he messed it up. Got his reward with a delicious assist too.

It was the sort of performance someone like memphis should be producing right now, it doesn't have to be clinical just aggressive and urgent hopefully seeing jesse take his place will inspire some imitation on his part

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The assist reminded me of a goal Muller set up for Lewandoski earlier this season (or maybe towards the end of last season?) which I remember watching and thinking how depressing it was that we don't have anyone capable of such a a decisive first touch. Which made it all the sweeter.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In the first half, he was constantly losing the ball but yet had the confidence to again be creative and make something happen instead of choosing the safer option.

One thing which has surprised me so far in his first team stint is that his shooting usually very composed.
It's been a real feature of his game whenever he's played. Remember his pre-season screamers? If anything, his shooting has been a little below his usual standards this season.

KM

It's been a real feature of his game whenever he's played. Remember his pre-season screamers? If anything, his shooting has been a little below his usual standards this season.
That's what I meant actually. His shooting has been very composed in all the pre seasons and youth matches I've seen him play.

feck knows what's happening to his shooting right now but I think that will improve, also think he'll start the next few matches now which will be very pleasing.

Red_Beans

Very happy for Lingard.

Might not have Martial's level of talent but he works hard and has a great attitude. I think the best is till to come from him and I really hope he makes it at United.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Our worst player in the first half, our best player in the second. I was a little surprised at how often he looked to take his fullback on, it's something I haven't really seen him do until yesterday. Perhaps LVG specifically asked him to try and beat his man to add a little directness into our game?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
thought he played well last night, very impressed. great composure for the assist.

loved the fact that he was prepared to take players on repeatedly.

sure he lost the ball a bit but Giggs did too at that age. We need some players taking risks

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Thought he was excellent, and our Man of the Match personally. Should have gotten himself a goal in the first half though, and was also a bit greedy at times. Was still refreshing to see a player running at defenders and using close control to get past them. He could become a very good player for us.

We are still in desperate need of one top class winger though.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
The first half he was shocking really. Everything was done at 100 miles an hour and in turn fluffed everything he touched. Second half was much better and showed great composure and touch to cross first time for the goal.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I would have taken him off at HT, so I'm delighted he stayed on and did well. Probably Depay has a "higher level" than Lingard. But until Depay has his head in the right place to use his talent, then Lingard is a good option for us.

quethenoo

Our worst player in the first half, our best player in the second. I was a little surprised at how often he looked to take his fullback on, it's something I haven't really seen him do until yesterday. Perhaps LVG specifically asked him to try and beat his man to add a little directness into our game?

Its ambiguous whether or not its at LVG's behest but you would assume so.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He was also doing that in the last CSKA game too, suprised me also, but I like him in the team. He has a very positive engergy (as does Young)

Brightonian

I dunno, Wilson has been fairly anonymous since being promoted for the most part and he tore things up for the reserves. Could be Lingard's loans are playing dividends or something has just "clicked" for him at the right time.
There's definitely an element of luck required for it to 'click', as you say.

But I don't think Wilson's really had a shot like this, either. Lingard's featured in six games in a row now, starting three. Wilson's never been trusted with a run like that. And it's particularly hard being a proper #9 in a team that aren't creating anything - Lingard's been able to impress in these recent games by getting involved and trying things in games where we're playing badly and losing. When Wilson's played in games like that it's been hard for him to do much about it, because he relies on service from others. Also Lingard's actually playing in an appropriate position, whereas Van Gaal has mostly played Wilson as a winger, which he 100% is not, and never was when he was 'tearing things up' for the reserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.