5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz4231

He's shite but will play tomorrow along with Fellaini who I forgot to mention is also shite.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He just doesnt bring anything to the team really. Here and there a good run or pass but other than that, he's just not good enough. There is no way he would start for any other top club

bubbles_

The only guarantee is that he'll miss a gilt edge chance that will end up costing us. Happens in every game he plays.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He just doesnt bring anything to the team really. Here and there a good run or pass but other than that, he's just not good enough. There is no way he would start for any other top club
Have to agree with this, he possibly could improve and become a top player but at 23 he's probably shown all he's going to and will only improve slightly. But even then would he be good enough for a top 4 team?

JoaquinJoaquin

Have to agree with this, he possibly could improve and become a top player but at 23 he's probably shown all he's going to and will only improve slightly. But even then would he be good enough for a top 4 team?
No he isn't. He epitomizes everything that is wrong with the team at the moment. Average, but no where top level quality to push us back into the mix as one of the top EPL teams.

mufcwarm92

I like him and I think he's been pretty decent. I imagine we will sign someone a bit better as a regular starter but Lingard should be a decent squad player for the next few years.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
No he isn't. He epitomizes everything that is wrong with the team at the moment. Average, but no where top level quality to push us back into the mix as one of the top EPL teams.
I dunno why you'd pick a young player on his first season who hasn't even been starting every game to epitomise everything that is wrong with the team but I guess it is silly season at the moment so hey ho.

mufcwarm92

I dunno why you'd pick a young player on his first season who hasn't even been starting every game to epitomise everything that is wrong with the team but I guess it is silly season at the moment so hey ho.
This.

Some seriously embarrassing comments in here.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'd pick him because he is now a regular starter and isn't good enough regardless of his age (he is 23 by the way, not 18-19).

He is average (Championship level) and we have far too much average in the squad at the moment, hence my comment and why we are regularly being beaten by so called 'inferior' teams.

Robbie Boy

He's not young and he has never even stood out and looked like one of the best players in the Championship while on loan there. Cleverley looked brilliant on loan at Watford when he actually was young and he couldn't even make it at us. Lingard is actually a below average PL player.

Shamwow

I'd pick him because he is now a regular starter and isn't good enough regardless of his age (he is 23 by the way, not 18-19).

He is average (Championship level) and we have far too much average in the squad at the moment, hence my comment and why we are regularly being beaten by so called 'inferior' teams.
He's only a regular starter at the moment because some of our very expensive buys aren't doing good enough.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It's really odd. He started off so well, missed some piss easy chances but was very bright. Woudln't be too far-fetched to assume van Gaal may have had a word with him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Got me! Im a fair weather, pompom girl.
:lol:

I don't mind us giving him chances, but I don't see why Januzaj has to keep playing for the u21s and be behind Lingard in the pecking order. Nor do I think one decent pass is enough against lower league Derby.

facund

It's really odd. He started off so well, missed some piss easy chances but was very bright. Woudln't be too far-fetched to assume van Gaal may have had a word with him.
You are right, up until the injury lay-off he was at least looking threatening (even if he missed) and brought an energy and enthusiasm to the final third. Since he returned he hasn't looked up to speed or confident in the slightest. You can look past his shortcomings at WB but even in his regular position he has been incredibly subdued.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You are right, up until the injury lay-off he was at least looking threatening (even if he missed) and brought an energy and enthusiasm to the final third. Since he returned he hasn't looked up to speed or confident in the slightest. You can look past his shortcomings at WB but even in his regular position he has been incredibly subdued.
LVG has done his magic :lol:
Its likely just lack of confidence after missing some pretty important chances, and also struggling a little after an injury

Sylar

He kinda reminds me of a few players under LVG. They come in, look bright, have great movement in the final third and get into great positions. Then slowly and surely it seems they are restricted to one area of the pitch, are told to dribble less and pass more (and end up looking "safe"). I swear weve seen this with Memphis and to a lesser extent Martial.

Or maybe not, just how it seems.

facund

LVG has done his magic :lol:
I hate to think like that but the gradual diminishing returns from nearly every player that steps in to the team does pose a few questions.

I don't think missing the chances has knocked him because he missed them from the outset and yet continued to play in a similar vein. Maybe he has been on the internet and read what some of the people have to say about him?

JoaquinJoaquin

I hate to think like that but the gradual diminishing returns from nearly every player that steps in to the team does pose a few questions.

I don't think missing the chances has knocked him because he missed them from the outset and yet continued to play in a similar vein. Maybe he has been on the internet and read what some of the people have to say about him?
or maybe he just isn't very good and defenders have done research \ scouting on him pre-game and figured him out.

JoaquinJoaquin

He kinda reminds me of a few players under LVG. They come in, look bright, have great movement in the final third and get into great positions. Then slowly and surely it seems they are restricted to one area of the pitch, are told to dribble less and pass more (and end up looking "safe"). I swear weve seen this with Memphis and to a lesser extent Martial.

Alot of Lingard's problems are that he doesn't get involved enough and doesn't actively seem to want the ball, whereas a Januzaj for example or Memphis will always want the ball, regardless of how they are playing. Like I said to facund above, maybe it's just a simple case of defenders have done research \ scouting on him pre-game and figured him out.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
How can it be embarrassing when it's true though? or would you rather people bury their head on the sand a bit longer?

Your're wasting you're breath, some of our fans are so oblivious to the fact he is a championship quality player just move on that's what I did :lol:.

He's terrible and its embarrassing he's even in our squad in the first place. We can see it but others won't be told.

Shamwow

Well I guess we managed half a page of reasonable discussion at least.

facund

or maybe he just isn't very good and defenders have done research \ scouting on him pre-game and figured him out.
No doubt the opposition making a plan for him will have played a part in his ability to perform but I can't see how it would stifle his ability to offer the movement in behind and limit the energy/enthusiasm in which he seems (IMO) to be lacking recently.

Alot of Lingard's problems are that he doesn't get involved enough and doesn't actively seem to want the ball
Whilst this definitely reflects the last few games I wouldn't say it is typically indicative of Lingard's game. Against CSKA he was one of the few to lead the charge and he always seemed to be eager to drift towards the ball and create interplay/triangles when playing at reserve level (a different kettle of fish I know). Maybe he needs more time to be comfortable being proactive in a team filled with more experienced players who should really be taking the lead themselves.

More generally:
I've not seen many trying to defend his recent form but some do try to look for positives in a player that is playing his first season in the PL. I don't believe we have seen the best of what he can offer or that he is necessarily being used to best effect (He has and will never be the type to consistently take his man on IMO). I'm not saying that he can be a footballing God but that there is a chance that he could become a useful squad player.

Some people have formed a definitive view which is fine and may well be perfectly justified but for the sake of argument I would contend that had Lingard scored 2-3 of the chances that he spurned (he has hit the woodwork at least twice and missed by inches on a few other occasions) then we would be faced, in general, with an entirely different tide of opinion on this thread. Such are the margins.

He is not currently doing enough to justify a starting spot but I feel there have been games when having him in the team has added something to our performance and he needs to get back to producing that kind of display if he wants to stick around.

JoaquinJoaquin

More generally:
I've not seen many trying to defend his recent form but some do try to look for positives in a player that is playing his first season in the PL. I don't believe we have seen the best of what he can offer or that he is necessarily being used to best effect (He has and will never be the type to consistently take his man on IMO). I'm not saying that he can be a footballing God but that there is a chance that he could become a useful squad player.

Some people have formed a definitive view which is fine and may well be perfectly justified but for the sake of argument I would contend that had Lingard scored 2-3 of the chances that he spurned (he has hit the woodwork at least twice and missed by inches on a few other occasions) then we would be faced, in general, with an entirely different tide of opinion on this thread. Such are the margins.

He is not currently doing enough to justify a starting spot but I feel there have been games when having him in the team has added something to our performance and he needs to get back to producing that kind of display if he wants to stick around.
See, I don't think the margins are that narrow. Him scoring a couple more goals would just paper over the cracks in which his performances tend to be full of. I must admit I don't like this new trend of players being solely judged on the amount of goals they score, I seem to be seeing this pattern more and more in recent years.

I'm all for the youngsters getting in the team and impressing, I like that as much as anybody, But sometimes you have to call a spade a spade and with Lingard he just isn't of the quality that we need, and with being 23 years old you would have to guess that his progression as a player probably won't increase too much more in the future, definitely not to the degree needed at this club anyways.

In the past when players like Darron Gibson or Kieran Richardson would start, you could get away with alot more when you are surrounding them with title winners like Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs etc. But with the squad as it is at the moment we cannot afford such luxuries, unfortunately.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Memphis, Martial, Mata, Herrera, Fellaini, Rooney, RvP, Falcao, di Maria, Schneiderlin, Darmian... The list goes on. At some stage, most of these players have declined to an extent where they're completely useless on a football field, and it all occurred with the great brick layer at the helm. I don't think it's a coincidence. Something is wrong at our club, but we refuse to address it.

JoaquinJoaquin

Your're wasting you're breath, some of our fans are so oblivious to the fact he is a championship quality player just move on that's what I did :lol:.

He's terrible and its embarrassing he's even in our squad in the first place. We can see it but others won't be told.
I enjoy a good discussion on here but being labeled 'embarrassing' when I'm merely telling the truth is a bit daft. It seems alot of people don't want to face reality at the moment. Probably the same people who continue to clap Van Gaal into the tunnel after each defeat.

Shimo

Plain and simple, he isn't starter quality for a top side - that's not to say he is not a good player to have in the squad. I much prefer him out on the right than Mata. It's a sad state though when he is starting games over people that perhaps can produce moments of a lot higher quality but, because Lingard gives a bit more in terms of middling consistency than say a Memphis or a Januzaj, he gets to start.

He should stay in the team even if at some point we can get a top right side player because he is a useful option to have in case of injuries, to give players a rest or inject a bit of intensity when required in games over say bringing in another defender or a Mata off the bench.

smallred

possibly the least talented player in our entire squad, its absolutely disgraceful that he is starting games for manchester united.

he wouldnt make it into a match day 18 in any other top side and would struggle to make the starting 11 of many teams towards the bottom. yet another really bizzare feature of LVG reign, how he keeps playing him and leaving memphis out of the team, because Lingard works harder, yet has absolutely zero end product 90% of the time.

Sylar

possibly the least talented player in our entire squad, its absolutely disgraceful that he is starting games for manchester united.
Ive seen this line posted by other posters in other threads for numerous players :lol:
I see no problem with him being in our squad but I dont like the way we use him and rely on him so much when hes not a Ronaldo type of player. Hes clearly more suited to a team game type (if that makes sense).

Kostur

海尔的老板

he wouldnt make it into a match day 18 in any other top side and would struggle to make the starting 11 of many teams towards the bottom. yet another really bizzare feature of LVG reign, how he keeps playing him and leaving memphis out of the team, because Lingard works harder, yet has absolutely zero end product 90% of the time.
If Lingard got 0 end product 90% of the time, then Memephis got 0 end product 100% of the time.

dirkey

How has he kept his place tonight while Varela & Morgan have been dropped/rotated ?
Morgan was dismal against Derby. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his, and think he's a far better player than Lingard. But he was brutal. Lingard at least created an assist - even if he wasn't exactly fantastic himself. Basically, I don't think it's that strange he kept his place over him. I also think having 2 completely inexperienced full backs against Prem opposition is dangerous, so Varela missing out makes some sense also.

Status
Not open for further replies.