5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Born2Lose

He's not a starter long term, but as a squad player I think he's fine. If only Lingard was the biggest problem with this team.

NinjaFletch

He's not a starter long term, but as a squad player I think he's fine. If only Lingard was the biggest problem with this team.
Haven't you heard he's shite?

If you don't come into his thread every time he plays and ask why he's not playing for a Belorussian 7th division team you're not a proper United fan.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Got an assist but he did absolutely nothing for almost the entire game. That too against derby. I get that we have no one as talented as martial but we have to look to get some similar threat from the right even if it's not yo that level. I'd rather give Januzaj more chances.

Devil may care

We mostly went down the other wing so he spent large portions of the game not involved, got a nice assist though.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
He's not bad. A hard worker playing in a poaition that requires flair.

I think he could be a fantastic squad player able to play in midfield (centrally & wide) as well at fullback. A natural successor to ashlwy young & valencia maybe.
Hard worker certainly sums him up. Hopefully he's like a young Willian and the rest of his game will progress accordingly.

amolbhatia50k

We mostly went down the other wing so he spent large portions of the game not involved, got a nice assist though.
The question is whether we should have a threat from only one side. Having mata and lingard do nothing for most of the game but cycle possession back, to me, doesn't make sense. I'd much rather give Januzaj a run of games and hope we can have a dual threat.

NinjaFletch

Bit dramatic that to be honest.
Nah its not.

There's a subset of posters on here who feel the need in virtually every single player thread to criticise players for absolutely everything.

I'm not certain Lingard's going to make it, but the reaction to a performance that was at worst ok was another page of abuse.

And this from a fan base that likes to see youth given a chance apparently.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nah its not.

There's a subset of posters on here who feel the need in virtually every single player thread to criticise players for absolutely everything.

I'm not certain Lingard's going to make it, but the reaction to a performance that was at worst ok was another page of abuse.

And this from a fan base that likes to see youth given a chance apparently.
He is closer to his mid 20s than youth to be fair!

The White Pele

Like Mata he was a lot better in the second half when the game opened up a bit. Wasteful for most of the game

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why do people care so much about his age? So what if he's 23, when did players stop developing at 23? Not every player is going to fullfil his potential at 23, not everyone is Messi.

It's completely fine if people think he won't develop that much and don't think he has some great potential, but to mention his age every single week is really stupid, especially because he is fecking 23, not 33.

Whether he develops to good level enough or not is one problem, but he is at least 2 or 3 years still from his best, and he definitely looks like pretty much every young player breaking in the first team, raw and inconsistent, and he is long way to go before being finished product.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Why do people care so much about his age? So what if he's 23, when did players stop developing at 23? Not every player is going to fullfil his potential at 23, not everyone is Messi.

It's completely fine if people think he won't develop that much and don't think he has some great potential, but to mention his age every single week is really stupid, especially because he is fecking 23, not 33.

Whether he develops to good level enough or not is one problem, but he is at least 2 or 3 years still from his best, and he definitely looks like pretty much every young player breaking in the first team, raw and inconsistent, and he is long way to go before being finished product.
I think most would agree with all that. Certainly I would.

... It's that playing him 90 minutes regularly makes no sense.

Lynty

Consistent...but when everyone else up's their game (like tonight), he can't raise his own game and he looks out his depth.

I suppose it's a clear indication of his ceiling. Still a useful player to keep around the squad.

What does annoy me though...when he closes down the ball or tries to pressure a player, it's always half hearted, as if he doesn't really want or expect to win the ball - he is just doing what he is told by the coaches

Americano

Make America Great Again!
For all his limitations, it seems like we are playing a bit better and getting better results with him in the side. I think he helps to open things up a bit in the attack - if he could shoot we would have a decent player on our hands. Sadly he shoots like he was born to take penalties for England.

ZDwyr

I like that he can do a job, I like that he works hard defensively and loves the club, but he really shouldn't be starting. He doesn't have a good enough all-round game nor does he have one absolute standout quality. He'll probably be moved on eventually.

Cerpin

Hard worker certainly sums him up. Hopefully he's like a young Willian and the rest of his game will progress accordingly.
That's being very optimistic. Apart from being a tremendous worker, Willian is also quite gifted technically.

As for his performance tonight, I thought he was dreadful in the first half. But he redeemed himself in the second somewhat; set up that goal and worked hard. Still struggle to see how he will make it here though.

Devil may care

The question is whether we should have a threat from only one side. Having mata and lingard do nothing for most of the game but cycle possession back, to me, doesn't make sense. I'd much rather give Januzaj a run of games and hope we can have a dual threat.
No argument there, I certainly don't think he's a long term solution and in truth think we need more pace and directness than Januzaj out there, the way forward is definitely getting a Martial level threat for the RW.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is closer to his mid 20s than youth to be fair!
Some players don't age on Caf. Evans was still considered young, and some call Jones still a young player.

Lingard is the same age as Neymar, older than Messi when he won the first Ballon D'Or. Not exactly young, and not exactly good.

SSSSnake

Can't believe some of the dross I'm hearing. He's a local lad and showing lots of promise. Give him half a chance at least for crying out loud.

drdoityourself

Can't believe some of the dross I'm hearing. He's a local lad and showing lots of promise. Give him half a chance at least for crying out loud.
That statement is at least open to debate. He's 24 this year and I really can't see any stand out qualities. I don't want to be laying into Lingard but the we need much better than him on the right wing to be a contender. I see more potential in both Januzaj and Memphis for that position, who are 2 and 3 years younger. I feel that it's a little bit of a waste starting him, as I really can't see him making it here. We could be giving game time to players with more potential or actually buy right winger who is up to our standard.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not great, but he adds pace to the RW which I think is required. Doubt he will feature much next season (if he is even here)

Donut

I'm worried he's going to continue playing despite the poor form just because he's "LVG's guy".

There is really no reason not to give Januzaj, Memphis, or Pereira a shot, when Lingard is in this kind of form.

NinjaFletch

Some players don't age on Caf. Evans was still considered young, and some call Jones still a young player.

Lingard is the same age as Neymar, older than Messi when he won the first Ballon D'Or. Not exactly young, and not exactly good.
Well I guess thats told everyone in this thread who compared him to those two then hasn't it?

Except no ones come even close to making any sort of claim like that, and comparing Jesse Lingard to two exceptional players like that is grossly unfair. If thats the bar we're holding youth talent to then we may as well close down the academy. In fact, its a wonder we even persisted with Scholes, Giggs, or Neville. Those useless cnuts went their whole career without winning a Ballon D'Or let alone winning one at 23.

And lets cut out the bullshit that @drdoityourself is talking about. Yes he turns 24 this year, but he's been 23 for just over a month. Stop trying to make out he's older than he is.

The simple fact is that Lingard was 22 at the start of the season, his first season as a regular first team player, and has played a grand total of 15 games for the first team and by all accounts is a late bloomer. If you can't understand why people might refer to that as 'young' player then jesus christ.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's a decent player but he will be screwed on the bench or gone once we sign another winger.

drdoityourself

Well I guess thats told everyone in this thread who compared him to those two then hasn't it?

Except no ones come even close to making any sort of claim like that, and comparing Jesse Lingard to two exceptional players like that is grossly unfair. If thats the bar we're holding youth talent to then we may as well close down the academy. In fact, its a wonder we even persisted with Scholes, Giggs, or Neville. Those useless cnuts went their whole career without winning a Ballon D'Or let alone winning one at 23.

And lets cut out the bullshit that @drdoityourself is talking about. Yes he turns 24 this year, but he's been 23 for just over a month. Stop trying to make out he's older than he is.

The simple fact is that Lingard was 22 at the start of the season, his first season as a regular first team player, and has played a grand total of 15 games for the first team and by all accounts is a late bloomer. If you can't understand why people might refer to that as 'young' player then jesus christ.
At least where I come from you're classed in your age group. Those who are born in the same calendar year are judged on the same level, whether you are born in January or December, you grow up playing at the same level. He will be 24 this year. You can call it a late bloomer, but I can't see him improving to the required standard of a Manchester United player.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Don't really want to get involved in this whole debate but you are contradicting yourself! You are saying he is young but then you are stating he is 23 but he is young because it's his first season? Do you mean an inexperienced player as the other posters are correct by saying he's not exactly young? Because as the rightly state he is 23! Confused!

NinjaFletch

At least where I come from you're classed in your age group. Those who are born in the same calendar year are judged on the same level, whether you are born in January or December, you grow up playing at the same level. He will be 24 this year. You can call it a late bloomer, but I can't see him improving to the required standard of a Manchester United player.
Yeah, I'm not sure myself, I've said as much in the thread.

But it just seems a little unfair on the kid to dismiss him for being 24 when he's literally just turned 23.

Revan

Assumptionman
That is the problem. A lot of people aren't seeing lots of promise there, or any promise at all.

He is a local lad but so are a hundred other players in the academy, so who cares.
Every average to shit player who has come from the academy (or signed as a young player) has been called a late bloomer in this forum. The only one who was shown to be so - to the best of my knowledge - is Darren Fletcher. So either the late bloomers don't exist, or more likely, they are very rare. Not every average player is a late bloomer.

Now, can Lingard be so? Probably yes, because unlike the other late bloomer of recent years (Welbeck, Cleverley and Jones) he really didn't get as many chances as them to show his best for United. But, I think it is quite unlikely cause he really doesn't show anything above average in any aspect of the game. We'll see, I guess, but so far he hasn't been better than two other late bloomers we had, Bebe and Obertan.

NinjaFletch

That is the problem. A lot of people aren't seeing lots of promise there, or any promise at all.

He is a local lad but so are a hundred other players in the academy, so who cares.

Every average to shit player who has come from the academy (or signed as a young player) has been called a late bloomer in this forum. The only one who was shown to be so - to the best of my knowledge - is Darren Fletcher. So either the late bloomers don't exist, or more likely, they are very rare. Not every average player is a late bloomer.

Now, can Lingard be so? Probably yes, because unlike the other late bloomer of recent years (Welbeck, Cleverley and Jones) he really didn't get as many chances as them to show his best for United. But, I think it is quite unlikely cause he really doesn't show anything above average in any aspect of the game. We'll see, I guess, but so far he hasn't been better than two other late bloomers we had, Bebe and Obertan.
I'd argue the opposite to be true, this forum -despite most posters stated desire to give youth a chance- is incredibly harsh on any youth player who isn't already close to the finished article.

But either way, I'm not talking about randoms on this forum. If you can find quotes from Ferguson saying 'this player won't be ready for first team action until they're 22' then fine, but I really don't recall any of them - even Darren Fletcher - being spoke about as being players that would need longer to develop.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'd argue the opposite to be true, this forum -despite most posters stated desire to give youth a chance- is incredibly harsh on any youth player who isn't already close to the finished article.

But either way, I'm not talking about randoms on this forum. If you can find quotes from Ferguson saying 'this player won't be ready for first team action until they're 22' then fine, but I really don't recall any of them - even Darren Fletcher - being spoke about as being players that would need longer to develop.
The infallible Fergie who thought that Welbeck and Cleverley are in the same level as Thiago? A lot of things Fergie was, but being a Nostradamus wasn't his strongest point.

amolbhatia50k

Not sure about showing lots of promise. I'd personally want more from our right winger than one or two decent moments in a game of 90 against Derby county. Both him, and Mata spend all game doing bugger all, and just cycling possession back, which is no more than I expect from a Derby County player funnily enough. From a Manchester United player you want to see some consistent skill, and threat.

NinjaFletch

The infallible Fergie who thought that Welbeck and Cleverley are in the same level as Thiago? A lot of things Fergie was, but being a Nostradamus wasn't his strongest point.
Ok, Ferguson doesn't know what he was talking about, but you do.

The simple facts are that 4 years ago Ferguson said that Lingard would make it into the first team at around about 22.

Under a completely different manager, one who also has a very good record with youth talent for all his other failings, he started getting regular games at that age.

Hey, maybe, its luck? Or maybe, just maybe, Ferguson knew what he was talking about?

Regardless, its a stupid debate, regardless of the intricacies of whether Lingard's body type meant he was a late bloomer or not, judging Lingard as anything other than a player that has played a grand total of 15 games for Manchester United, one that clearly is not the finished article, is dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.