Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
he has a great cross on him, he showed it many times before, he tried to put it in with pace, didnt work out this game, if two crosses means get rid of not good enough for this club etc than a person who thinks this should really get a grip
It really isn't about two crosses though. You are the one who needs a grip if you think it is about that only.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He's been poor the last few weeks. He's young so inconsistency can be expected.
Since coming back from injury it's like he is avoiding picking up another one. I personally like him but lately he is stopped applying himself like he used to.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nothing against the kid but he should be nowhere near our starting 11 (Adnan, McNair, Blackett, BJ, Mata, Varela, Fellaini, Wilson also) so that is 9 fecking players that should be nowhere near but are so just shows you how far we have fallen!

Godfather

Can't wait until we get someone proper in to replace him. As harsh as it sounds. The lad is a good boy and decent squad member. Shouldn't start games for us though.

wiz4231

Lets also excuse the fact that a lot of our players struggle to do 'basic football things' right because they're playing in a team that has next to nothing movement. See Young's performance for Liverpool last week before he got injured and you'll know i'm talking about.

Nope.

Well, he's been a lot more threatening as a winger, no? As soon as he come back from injury, he was brought straight back into the team for a reason.
He played as a wing back for 5 minutes, 5 MINUTES.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I said on the podcast that he's basically our version of Aaron Lennon / Andros Townsend (pace and not much else) ... Felt a bit bad after for saying it, but nothing I'm seeing convices me otherwise.

Asger

He isn't even as good as Lennon and Townsend! Lingard would be lucky to be a starter in Championship team.

wiz4231

Dont be silly. We played 532 for the majority of the game and he was played as a right wing back. Watch the game again.
Are you serious? Van Gaal said himself said post match he changed the shape of the team when he bought on Januzaj for CBJ, meaning Lingard and Januzaj as fullbacks and Rooney + Martial upfront. Are you saying LVG's bullshitting?

Walters_19_MuFc

Are you serious? Van Gaal said himself said post match he changed the shape of the team when he bought on Januzaj for CBJ, meaning Lingard and Januzaj as fullbacks and Rooney + Martial upfront. Are you saying LVG's bullshitting?
He probably did change the shape, but before that Lingard was playing as a wing back.

ottosec

Championship level player at best. He was poor even there, when he went on loan. How he plays ahead of the likes of Memphis, Januzaj or Pereira only god and LVG know.

Not to mention that he is 23 and it's not like he's a prospect anymore. He is basically a shit Welbeck, people only rate him because he's a life long United fan that came through the academy.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Championship level player at best. He was poor even there, when he went on loan. How he plays ahead of the likes of Memphis, Januzaj or Pereira only god and LVG know.

Not to mention that he is 23 and it's not like he's a prospect anymore. He is basically a shit Welbeck, people only rate him because he's a life long United fan that came through the academy.
Yep. He wasn't getting in the Derby team. Birmingham etc is his level.

wiz4231

What the hell are peoples eyes doing

Just because a Winger defends deep that doesn't make him a wing back. For him to play as a wingback that would mean CBJ was also playing wing back which he wasn't.

De Gea

Darmian...Smalling...Blind....Jackson

Herrera......Schneiderlin

Mata

Lingard....................................Rooney
Martial

Is how we setup in the second half
The reason Lingard is in the team is because he does the defensive work, like young has done over the years, they will put 110% into the match running up and down the wing from start to stop but that doesn't mean they are playing as a wing back or for that matter that are any good as a player. I'm done with this now, believe what the feck you want

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Were we not 3-5-2 in the first half too?
Nah, first half it was definitely a back four with Martial and Lingard out wide. They were often coming quite deep to get the ball though, which was really stupid because it did nothing to negate the Southampton press.

He changed it a half time to make Rooney and Martial more central with Mata in behind... which meant switching to a 3-5-2... him and CBJ were wing-backs in the second half.

EDIT - Although the Guardian reckon it was 3-5-2 from the start, so what do I know.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...nited-southampton-premier-league-match-report

Thing is, we were so shit in the first half, and barely able to get out of our half, that it's hard to tell!

Classical Mechanic

Nah, first half it was definitely a back four with Martial and Lingard out wide. They were often coming quite deep to get the ball though, which was really stupid because it did nothing to negate the Southampton press.

He changed it a half time to make Rooney and Martial more central with Mata in behind... which meant switching to a 3-5-2... him and CBJ were wing-backs in the second half.
Aye, must have been.

The lad has a few goals in him as he has shown on loan previously and does some good defensive work sometimes. On the negative side he is possibly the weakest player in the league, his control is sketchy and he can't cross for toffee. I think LVG probably likes him because he is a good quiet kid and he does pay attention to his defensive duties. That said, I just don't think he is good enough for Manchester United, well, a Manchester United that will win the league anyway.

RonaldoVII

It was 352/532 all game until Januzaj came on. You could tell that by how central and together Rooney and Martial were, and every time the team got back into position. Lingard was wingback for roughly 85 minutes.

Ryan7

His crossing was similar to Bebe's today. He's never going to be a top player, he'll make a decent squad player if we ever actually have a good team again.

Walters_19_MuFc

I was at the game, it was 3-5-2 and Lingard was definitely playing as a wing back.
@wiz4231

EDIT - Although the Guardian reckon it was 3-5-2 from the start, so what do I know.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...nited-southampton-premier-league-match-report

Thing is, we were so shit in the first half, and barely able to get out of our half, that it's hard to tell!
Martial was on the right, so was Lingard. How could they both be on the right wing?

What the hell are peoples eyes doing

Just because a Winger defends deep that doesn't make him a wing back. For him to play as a wingback that would mean CBJ was also playing wing back which he wasn't.

De Gea

Darmian...Smalling...Blind....Jackson

Herrera......Schneiderlin

Mata

Lingard....................................Rooney
Martial

Is how we setup in the second half
The reason Lingard is in the team is because he does the defensive work, like young has done over the years, they will put 110% into the match running up and down the wing from start to stop but that doesn't mean they are playing as a wing back or for that matter that are any good as a player. I'm done with this now, believe what the feck you want
http://www.skysports.com/football/man-utd-vs-soton/teams/341411

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/959653/Live

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszon...VERALL_01#tabs-wrapper-anchor#:wg-Cyoc1GWibSA

http://epl.squawka.com/english-barclays-premier-league/23-01-2016/man-utd-vs-s-hampton/matches

Robbie Boy

The crux of it is that Lingard isn't very good. People can make all the excuses they want, but he's far far from the required standard.

Skills

Snitch
He's a decent player, never going to be good enough to be a starter. Can be a fairly useful role player in a functioning attacking unit, should end up having a premier league career.

Robbie Boy

None of the players are playing at the required standard, hence why we're 5th. Simple as!
Well that's simply not true. DDG, Smalling, Martial, Shaw etc aren't good enough? Righteo. Lingard isn't good enough, full stop. He's 23 and had an extremely underwhelming career to-date; there's a reason for that. There are plenty of passengers in the team alright but the manager is making several players look far worse than they are. Lingard isn't one. He simply is very average.

Bojan11

The crux of it is that Lingard isn't very good. People can make all the excuses they want, but he's far far from the required standard.
Agreed. He's not even good for teams like Palace or Watford. Yet we starting him.

Robbie Boy

Agreed. He's not even good for teams like Palace or Watford. Yet we starting him.
That's the sad part; I genuinely believe he would even struggle to start for the top 2 championship sides. That's a pathetic indictment for a current starter for our team.

Walters_19_MuFc

Well that's simply not true. DDG, Smalling, Martial, Shaw etc aren't good enough? Righteo. Lingard isn't good enough, full stop. He's 23 and had an extremely underwhelming career to-date; there's a reason for that. There are plenty of passengers in the team alright but the manager is making several players look far worse than they are. Lingard isn't one. He simply is very average.
When did I say they weren't good enough? Fact is, it's a team effort, and at the moment, we're in 5th, which has feck all to do with just Lingard.

Bold statement doesn't really make sense to me. How you think you seem to know that any other manager wouldn't step up Lingard's performances (despite him having more good than bad performances) I don't know. Ashley Young was bang average under Sir Alex. Been one of our better players under Van Gaal.

buckooo1978

Either he was instructed to play deep or hasn't any positional awareness

About as much threat at a water pistol today and it baffles me that he's selected ahead of Mata, Memphis, Pereira or Januzaj after a shocking game at Anfield

A very very average player

Robbie Boy

When did I say they weren't good enough? Fact is, it's a team effort, and at the moment, we're in 5th, which has feck all to do with just Lingard.
This is a Lingard thread, hence why Lingard is being discussed. He isn't good enough. You can spin it whatever way you like but it's straw clutching at it's finest. Has anyone directly blamed Lingard for the reason we are 5th? I doubt that. I can't pretend I've seen anything to suggest that he will make it here.

Sylar

He reminds me of how Memphis and Martial have both done this season. Got brought on, showed energy and enthusiasm and willingness to try things, got over played and now seems restricted to one area in the attacking third.

Not really his fault, but what is his position?

I really blame this on management anyway.

Walters_19_MuFc

This is a Lingard thread, hence why Lingard is being discussed. He isn't good enough. You can spin it whatever way you like but it's straw clutching at it's finest. Has anyone directly blamed Lingard for the reason we are 5th? I doubt that. I can't pretend I've seen anything to suggest that he will make it here.
If I had never watched United before, I'd have said that about most of our players. Fact is, I personally think it's harsh to judge him when playing under such poor management.

Status
Not open for further replies.