5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

Jesse has decent pace, can perform his defensive duties & has the ability to produce moments to magic. Jose will like him.
Apart from that wonder striker against Chelsea, I cannot remember one moment of brilliance from him. He has OK pace but Jose likes someone like Williams. Someone who can score brilliant goals, can go on solo runs and can take on defenders and completely run through an entire midfield when the opposition press. None of them are qualities which apply to Jesse.

I like the lad as a squad player but he is not good enough for us as a starter. When we were at our absolute best last, we had the blinding pace of Ronaldo (apart from his obvious other qualities) and Giggs' sublime guile and skills on our wings. Jesse is not even close to either of them. If we want to reach that level, Jesse needs to step aside and play as a squad player like Park while we get in better quality.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Apart from that wonder striker against Chelsea, I cannot remember one moment of brilliance from him. He has OK pace but Jose likes someone like Williams. Someone who can score brilliant goals, can go on solo runs and can take on defenders and completely run through an entire midfield when the opposition press. None of them are qualities which apply to Jesse.

I like the lad as a squad player but he is not good enough for us as a starter. When we were at our absolute best last, we had the blinding pace of Ronaldo (apart from his obvious other qualities) and Giggs' sublime guile and skills on our wings. Jesse is not even close to either of them. If we want to reach that level, Jesse needs to step aside and play as a squad player like Park while we get in better quality.
He will be a squad player next season. With all due respect to him, if he's going to be a first choice 10/RW next season, we better lower our expectations already.

NK86

He will be a squad player next season. With all due respect to him, if he's going to be a first choice 10/RW next season, we better lower our expectations already.
You are preaching to the choir by quoting me on that. I completely agree. A squad player but nothing more.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

I don't think he is a regular starter for us either. There is no disagreement there.

I think he looks worse in the current set-up where our attack is very disjointed and our expectations are of a Ronaldo or a Giggs. He is not a player who is going to take the team to the next level. He is not be the flashiest player in the world, but as a squad player, very very useful. He is selfless and can easily adapt to various positions and tactics. Jesse also has the ability in him to pop-up with important goals and assists. That is why I think any new manager would like him, be it Jose or Giggs.

By the way, how many brilliant goals has Willian scored? How many moments of magic does he produce? Whenever I have seen him play, he seems to run around a lot without producing much. A disruptor, more than a creator.

amolbhatia50k

I don't think he is a regular starter for us either. There is no disagreement there.

I think he looks worse in the current set-up where our attack is very disjointed and our expectations are of a Ronaldo or a Giggs. He is not a player who is going to take the team to the next level. He is not be the flashiest player in the world, but as a squad player, very very useful. He is selfless and can easily adapt to various positions and tactics. Jesse also has the ability in him to pop-up with important goals and assists. That is why I think any new manager would like him, be it Jose or Giggs.

By the way, how many brilliant goals has Willian scored? How many moments of magic does he produce? Whenever I have seen him play, he seems to run around a lot without producing much. A disruptor, more than a creator.
William is a quality player. Calling him a disruption is very harsh. A hard working Hleb with pace is a better description, as he is genuinely excellent on the ball. He isn't a great goalscorer (think he has improved I think this season) but his overall contribution to the buildup is very good - dribbling in tight spaces, carrying the attack forward, linking up etc. Completely different level to Lingard.

Also, he's better than Messi. Amiright Akash?

NK86

Definitely more than Lingard. Also, I used Willian as one example but there are plenty others out there who are also much much better than Lingard. However, I think we are in agreement that Lingard is not a good enough player to be a starter for us. We can let it rest at that.

Robbie Boy

I think most agree that he is a squad player at best. He is currently starting because of the woeful form of others and the fact that he has done an ok job since he has come in. There's a small minority on here that are completely overrating the chap, but that's par for the course really as he's a home-grown lad.

When he first came into the side, I wasn't one bit impressed with him and he just screamed mediocre. I had also seen a-bit of him during various loan spells to Championship sides (Birmingham and Derby spring to mind) and he never really stood out as an exceptional Championship player; he wasn't even a guaranteed starter on loan at Derby last season. He scored four on his debut for Birmingham but never really set the Championship alight apart from that. Even Cleverley managed to look a star in the making when he was on loan at Watford and he was only 18/19. So to say I had little or no expectations for Lingard would be an understatement. I was actually surprised he wasn't shipped out in the summer just gone.

But I have to say, he has slightly grown on me and he put in his best shift for us yet against City, IMO. Still though, we need far better and some of Lingard's attributes such as his pace are exaggerated wildly on here. I would have him as a squad player next season, no problem at all but we need a far better starter.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I agree that he probably is not anything more than a squad player. That being said, it appears to be that some underestimate him due to being played out of position for most of the season.

Jessie Lingard is not a winger any more than Scholes was. In my opinion his potential is through the middle, and its been exciting watching him there for the last teo games. He reminds be a bit of Frank Lampard. Less of a goal threath, but with more pace and higher work ratio. I think the goals will come from him too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was excellent against City, and from reading this thread, I generally think he's been much better than he's been given credit for, and came into the team and gave us a lift at a point where Memphis was real crap.

TheReligion

Abusive
He was excellent against City, and from reading this thread, I generally think he's been much better than he's been given credit for, and came into the team and gave us a lift at a point where Memphis was real crap.
Agreed. I was amazed to see him not up with Rashford for MOTM in the derby when I voted.

ravi2

Exactly, players like him and young are decent squad players, but should not be starting at MUFC

Americano

Make America Great Again!
The funny thing is, if Januzaj was performing the way that Lingard has, I would be pretty satisfied :) He's producing some goals and assists, generally following instructions from the coaching staff, avoiding injury, and showing dedication and composure.

dirkey

I think he had a very good game against City. To say otherwise speaks of an agenda in my opinion.

I do agree though that long term, he's most likely to be a squad player. However, he's still very young (in terms of experience) and who knows how he might flourish with more game time? I'd absolutely love for the guy to make it.

What I really enjoyed from his performance the other day was that when he received the ball his first thought generally, was to play it forward. If he was closed down, he tried to beat the man. Compare that to Mata, who I feel a lot of the time this season has been playing backwards passes from the same position.

Devil may care

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ball-news/jesse-lingard-man-utd-news-11073471

Jesse Lingard has proved he has the muscle to add the No.10 string to his United bow having contested the Manchester derby with City giant Yaya Toure.

Manager Louis van Gaal's tactical masterstroke to play the 23-year-old in the Ivorian's territory proved a hit for the Reds in the 1-0 success at the Etihad.

And the Warrington-born midfielder was back on familiar ground behind striker Marcus Rashford.

“It was the manager's idea to play me centrally. There is a lot of space to exploit behind Yaya and Fernandinho and we had to use that well,” said Lingard.

“I used to like playing number ten when I was younger but as I developed I had to stay on the wing because it is physical in the middle. But I have come into my own now and I can handle it in there now.

“It wasn't a confidence thing for me it was a physical thing. I knew growing up I had to play out on the wing because you don't want to be missing out on the battles in the middle. There are a lot of big lads in there you play against but now I am used to it and I am battling back.

“Playing against someone like Yaya Toure, a bigger and better opponent, is a test and I was pleased.”

A year ago to the day of Sunday's derby match Lingard was in the Derby County side who lost 2-0 in the championship to Wolves. He had six more matches on loan at the Rams before returning to Old Trafford for a critical season in his career.

“I knew after I came back from Derby County on loan that this was pretty much a make or break season for me,” he said.

“I had to wait three months to come against Everton and ever since then I have played. I knew I had to breakthrough at my age.

“Sir Alex Ferguson made a statement about me coming good at 23 and it has obviously been the case.”

Ferguson made his Lingard prediction in 2012, stating: “Jesse Lingard is going to be some player.

"He is 19, came through our youth system and is built like Jean Tigana was for France. But he never got into the limelight there until he was about 24, and I think that will be the same with Lingard.

“He will become a player when he’s 22 or so. As an attacking midfielder he has got a really good talent. I think he will be a player we have high hopes for, definitely.”

prath92

I don't see why he couldn't be a park kind of player for us. Park was one of my favourite players of the era and while the stars of the time were Ronnie Rooney and all, park was excellent and a vital cog.

Brightonian

I don't see why he couldn't be a park kind of player for us. Park was one of my favourite players of the era and while the stars of the time were Ronnie Rooney and all, park was excellent and a vital cog.
Yep, I can see that. You need players who fit everything together, and Jesse's one of those.

JoaquinJoaquin

Park had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Scholes, Giggs around him so we didn't need his creative aspect. In our current team Park would be pretty poor if we are being frank.

In this current team we are devoid of creativity, so we cannot afford to carry 'work horses' in one of our main attacking positions. If we signed Griezmann and James for example then the situation may be different, but right now we don't have them kind of players.

Classical Mechanic

Yaya Toure always struggles against smaller nippy players. It is probably because he has the turning circle of a barge.

Lingard would face a sterner test through the middle against someone like Schneiderlin who is mobile, strong and likes a tackle.

Bwuk

Yaya Toure always struggles against smaller nippy players. It is probably because he has the turning circle of a barge.

Lingard would face a sterner test through the middle against someone like Schneiderlin who is mobile, strong and likes a tackle.
Agreed.

Against the Southampton team who played Morgan & Wanyama, I think Lingard would be completely ineffective.

Lingard should be taking Youngs place in the squad as back up winger.

Viral United

I think we should give him some benefit of doubt, its his first season and what he show in this season is excellent.
Are Class 92 are as great when they play their first season? can any older poster conform that?
We should give him more change, he may be improve or at worst he can become squad player which is still very good thing.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Lingard was to a bigger extent up against Fernandinho and Fernando - not Yaya. And he did fine against Can and Henderson/Milner too down the middle. His future is down through the middle.

Smores

I don't get what people expect. It seems like some start with the unfair expectation that every young player coming into the team is to be judged as the next big thing and therefore being a squad player level becomes a criticism.

He may step up in the future but for now if he continues to prove himself good enough to be of the squad that'd a decent achievement.

facund

I think we should give him some benefit of doubt, its his first season and what he show in this season is excellent.
Are Class 92 are as great when they play their first season? can any older poster conform that?
We should give him more change, he may be improve or at worst he can become squad player which is still very good thing.
Beckham, Giggs and Scholes all had very notable qualities that were apparent from their early appearances. It made their less impressive performances more tolerable as you knew they had the ability to change a game at any moment and it was just a case of giving them time to become more rounded and consistent with the delivery of their qualities. Giggs was electric and exciting from the moment he hit the scene and was already well established by the time the rest started filtering through. Sadly Jesse doesn't quite have any stand out traits in the way they did.

Gary Neville took a little bit longer to convince as he didn't have the raw ability/talent of the others and it was his professionalism, sheer will, determination and drive to improve that turned him in to such a good player. Hopefully Jesse can do something similar, learn his role/s, create good understandings with the players around him and continue to improve on his solid base.

All the above is of course my opinion and people may see things differently as they do now with Jesse. The coverage and access to football back then was nowhere near as comprehensive as now and that has led to increased scrutiny on each and every moment or facet of a players game nowadays.

I think a lot of the stick Lingard gets is due to his age, he isn't a bonafide youngster and so people don't see the scope for improvement they would if he were 19-21. I look at it from the point of view that this is his debut season for the club and at the top level, he will still be learning so much about the game and that gives him a lot of room to develop if he has the right attitude/application, which he seems to have.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Lingard should be taking Youngs place in the squad as back up winger.
i agree completely. to me, lingard is a much better version of young. given the futures the two have in front of them, it should be a no brainer we keep lingard and let/make young move on.

Brightonian

There's no question he's not a Giggs, Scholes or Beckham. But he could definitely be a Gary Neville or Nicky Butt. And he'll probably be more of a player than Phil...

As @caisenma says, he's a similar but better option to Ashley Young. I can't see how anyone wouldn't want us to keep him around when players like Young, Valencia and Fellaini are still in the squad.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Has anyone mentioned that he's not good enough to start for Manchester United yet? No? Well can I say that I don't think he should be starting for us. Because he's not good enough to be a starting player for us. And the fact we're starting him is an indication of. 1st XI.

Bwuk

Has anyone mentioned that he's not good enough to start for Manchester United yet? No? Well can I say that I don't think he should be starting for us. Because he's not good enough to be a starting player for us. And the fact we're starting him is an indication of. 1st XI.
I agree entirely with this.

Devil may care

There's no question he's not a Giggs, Scholes or Beckham. But he could definitely be a Gary Neville or Nicky Butt. And he'll probably be more of a player than Phil...

As @caisenma says, he's a similar but better option to Ashley Young. I can't see how anyone wouldn't want us to keep him around when players like Young, Valencia and Fellaini are still in the squad.
I agree, there are so many average squad players already at the club, Lingard is younger, more versatile in the forward roles and with the potential to improve as this is his first full senior season at this level. He needs to improve his contribution in the final 3rd but even as it stands he's better value to the squad than 2 converted wingers in their 30's.

Mike09

I've read some people here said Lingard is similar but better option than Ashley. It seems that these people are underestimating what Ashley did last season. Both are different players, playing style and quality. If Lingard can pull out the same performance what Ashley did last season from now then he's currently better option but he's not. Even at his age, Ashley was still much better player than Lingard at Aston Villa.

Lingard's playing style is much more effective in the middle not winger. The only reason why he can play as a winger because of his pace.

amolbhatia50k

I think most feel he can be a decent squad player. Whether he's as good a squad player as Park remains to be seen. Park was an absolute pain to play against and that in addition to his quality on the ball, made him a unique squad player.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The trouble with the Caf is that they tend to shoehorn players very soon. Ander Herrera will always remain a very good player inspite of him not showing that on a consistent basis for us. Similarly Lingard will always be a squad players inspite of him gradually improving and essentially earning the spot in first XI.

In Rainbows

The trouble with the Caf is that they tend to shoehorn players very soon. Ander Herrera will always remain a very good player inspite of him not showing that on a consistent basis for us. Similarly Lingard will always be a squad players inspite of him gradually improving and essentially earning the spot in first XI.
It's because his quality doesn't say "future star." His technique isn't amazing, his dribbling isn't great, he doesn't have amazing vision, etc... Those are qualities that you can see when they're young and be hopeful that they can turn that into consistent weapons to become stars in the future. Players that can have the moments of magic to dominate a game. Lingard's best qualities are his movement and finishing when I saw him for the youth team. His finishing wasn't on the same level as Wilson or anything like that, but that was one of his best qualities.

I think it's understandable that people think he'll be a squad player.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
All players improve at different age and level. Lingard has definitely improved since coming into the first team, why are people assuming that he won't improve year after year. He's always been a late bloomer.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I agree with your thinking - he most certainly can become Park like in his importance to our squad - but the problem is that our squad doesn't have a Rooney/Ronaldo atm. Which places a lot of responsibility on players like Lingard to "carry the load" etc. Hence the disappointment.

Robbie Boy

Not true at all. Herrera gets a lot of stick on here. I didn't rate Lingard at all when he first came into the team and now I feel he's a fine squad option. I'm sure plenty of others have went from not rating Lingard to thinking he's a grand squad player. Not many will want him as a starter which is understandable as we should be looking to improve during the summer.

prath92

I agree with your thinking - he most certainly can become Park like in his importance to our squad - but the problem is that our squad doesn't have a Rooney/Ronaldo atm. Which places a lot of responsibility on players like Lingard to "carry the load" etc. Hence the disappointment.
I think most feel he can be a decent squad player. Whether he's as good a squad player as Park remains to be seen. Park was an absolute pain to play against and that in addition to his quality on the ball, made him a unique squad player.
That's true but to critiscize lingard because we have no top players is just unfair on him. To me, he is a slightly better version of welbeck (he is a better finisher), yet people cry about how welbeck would have helped us and at the same time go on about how bang average lingard is when he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.