5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siorac

To be fair, Memphis is a little different to Chicharito. One is a nickname, the other is his actual given name.
True. But I usually don't like calling footballers by their first names, we're not mates. Rio was maybe the only exception, mostly because of convenience. But even him I usually called Ferdinand (I made the effort of typing those six extra letters).

Calling our players Ander, Wayne, Juan, Marcos or Luke... no way. Even the whole 'Morgan and Bastian' thing going on in their respective threads is getting on my nerves a bit though I understand why the lazy community don't want to bother with trying to spell their last names correctly.

Truedevil

Does a footballer lose pace and agility by putting on so much muscle? Hope not, he's a beast now but his true qualities were his quickness and dribbling.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm not sure whether i'd play him in that 10/second striker role, but you can see what he'll bring. There was a few moments in the game where he shown glimpses of magic, and linked up well with players around him.

I guess Van Gaal is experimenting with positions, but I'd like to see him as a winger next game, with possibly Fellaini, Mata or Herrera as the 10.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It seems a bit of a waste to be playing Memphis in central positions to me. We have struggled a bit for quality wingers recently, and have now bought one of the brightest European prospects in that position - lets not feck it up by sticking him at #10 or up front, eh Louis?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
It seems a bit of a waste to be playing Memphis in central positions to me. We have struggled a bit for quality wingers recently, and have now bought one of the brightest European prospects in that position - lets not feck it up by sticking him at #10 or up front, eh Louis?
Yesterday was all about giving everyone 45 minutes on the pitch, it was never about tactics.

Ozio

True. But I usually don't like calling footballers by their first names, we're not mates. Rio was maybe the only exception, mostly because of convenience. But even him I usually called Ferdinand (I made the effort of typing those six extra letters).

Calling our players Ander, Wayne, Juan, Marcos or Luke... no way. Even the whole 'Morgan and Bastian' thing going on in their respective threads is getting on my nerves a bit though I understand why the lazy community don't want to bother with trying to spell their last names correctly.
I think you're making a bigger deal about this than necessary. Besides, it's less annoying than posters spelling their names incorrectly. Some still spell Januzaj as 'Janujaj' or 'Januzaz', imagine the horror of them trying to spell Schneiderlin or Schweinsteiger consistently.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's good and calm on the ball, which you wouldn't expect from such a young player, and he's great at going past players which is something we've needed for a while. Great creativity and passing as well. Wasn't involved as much as he would have liked as we didn't dominate the ball as much as we did in the second, but whenever he got it, I thought he showed huge promise. Will only get better but I think he'll have a very good season.

Rezyuz

Does a footballer lose pace and agility by putting on so much muscle? Hope not, he's a beast now but his true qualities were his quickness and dribbling.
I think its kinda like boxers. If you bulk then train you will never gain speed but punch hard. If you train and gain speed then bulk you both hit hard and fast.

So in Ronaldo's case, he lost quite a bit. In Memphis case he should be the same.

MkPaul

learnt from the best
Sounds like what people were saying about Zaha a long time ago :nervous:
Nah the glimpses of class was his vision to play a pass with virtually zero time to make the decision. Zaha had pace and tricks which look very flashy but not on the same level as Depay imo.

Bwuk

Think playing him centrally was possibily Van Gaal wanting to see how he'd do through the middle more than anything.

legball

Play him on the left, what's with playing him behind Rooney, some things never change.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
First 45 minutes playing as a 10, he wasn't really spectacular or anything but had some nice flicks/touches/tried 1-2s. Didn't really dribble much and should've passed to Young, just wait for his performances on the left wing to see what he's capable of :drool:.

Annahnomoss

First 45 minutes playing as a 10, he wasn't really spectacular or anything but had some nice flicks/touches/tried 1-2s. Didn't really dribble much and should've passed to Young, just wait for his performances on the left wing to see what he's capable of :drool:.
Quite odd to try him there. I am guessing LVG just wanted to try it out as it was one of those ideas that would either be great or poor? Can't wait to see him on the wing.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Quite odd to try him there. I am guessing LVG just wanted to try it out as it was one of those ideas that would either be great or poor? Can't wait to see him on the wing.
First match to give everyone 45 minutes, I doubt 10 will be his position if the season starts or that we should read too much into it. Better try in preseason than in the actual season. Van Gaal might for some reason see him as a striker though, although his best performances in the short term will be probably be on the left where he's played the majority of his carreer.

Sam

Devil may care

So has Memphis been confirmed as wearing the #9? As I thought the tour numbers were temporary.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So has Memphis been confirmed as wearing the #9? As I thought the tour numbers were temporary.
Think he's going to get the #9 anyways... He's a goalscoring winger, he's got huge potential and is a confident/cocky guy so he'll want a "big" number like that. Also there isn't any other number available really that is suited for him, and he'll be a front 3 player so 9 works.

Devil may care

Think he's going to get the #9 anyways... He's a goalscoring winger, he's got huge potential and is a confident/cocky guy so he'll want a "big" number like that. Also there isn't any other number available really that is suited for him, and he'll be a front 3 player so 9 works.
Certainly possible, LvG is picky over his number 9's though, I remember him making Wilson change his number last year so it had a 9 in it, he ended up with 49. :lol:

Americano

Make America Great Again!
What fun is it to play him in the correct position right away? We love to struggle for a few months first with players moved around, otherwise there's nothing to argue about on here.

AttackingFlair

The moaning about him playing number 10 is a bit OTT, he was our brightest player in the first half. Plus, it's only pre season, the time to experiment.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
It's looking very likely Memphis will be a striker from comments in press conference and the player himself. Wouldn't be surprised if he keeps the #9.

Status
Not open for further replies.