5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

Very impressed by his first outing. If he improves his movement in the final third then he's gonna have a big future.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Can't see him losing the #9, regardless of his playing position. I don't think he would have been given it at all, if there was a chance it would be given to someone else. He'd have been given 15, or 24 or something.

Rezyuz

Can't see him losing the #9, regardless of his playing position. I don't think he would have been given it at all, if there was a chance it would be given to someone else. He'd have been given 15, or 24 or something.
if di maria goes i can swear you he will get the 7 shirt.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's class... Going to stick my neck out and say he'll get between 15-20 goals this season. Great finisher and has the nose to get into a goalscoring position. Always in and around the spot where our chances come from. Also don't mind him at all as a 10, his play is inconsistent as he's just getting to know the position, but he looks really creative there and is a big goal threat.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Nice half from him. Clean finish.

What's impressed me with Depay are his basics. His touch and passing look more complete than I'd expected at his age and the type of player he is. Sometimes there's a fear with this type of player, they're happy dribbling and doing the fancy stuff but lack in the technical areas. Not so much with Memphis, he even brings the ball down under pressure well.

Devil may care

Great footwork for the chance he created for Mata right at the end. He's a very exciting prospect.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
How's that for a cool finish.

What's exciting about him is that he's got end product in abundance, which usually is the problem with his type of player.

BarstoolProphet

He looks more ready to be a starter than I thought before he joined us. Physically he's a beast and his first touch is very impressive. He hasn't exactly set our tour on fire yet but it's easy to see that he got of the attributes to be a worldie in a not so distant future.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nice half from him. Clean finish.

What's impressed me with Depay are his basics. His touch and passing look more complete than I'd expected at his age and the type of player he is. Sometimes there's a fear with this type of player, they're happy dribbling and doing the fancy stuff but lack in the technical areas. Not so much with Memphis, he even brings the ball down under pressure well.
I like the way he's so committed in his play. Makes a decision early and follows it through. None of that indecisive faffing about that Nani used to do. Been a wee bit hit and miss so far but I reckon he's going to be class for us.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
The first of many. Memphis mania is upon us.

Lowkey

A superstar in the making. As long as he LvG keeps him grounded, he has everything needed to be one of the best players in the world. Bold statement but i'm sticking to it

Drifter

American
Took his goal well. Lovely move that forced a save from the keeper. Needs to lay of the weights a bit though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A superstar in the making. As long as he LvG keeps him grounded, he has everything needed to be one of the best players in the world. Bold statement but i'm sticking to it
It would be bold if you said he will be one of the best in the world :)

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd definitely start him over young at the start of the season. We're going to need our wide players to chip in with goals and he looks a threat every time he's on the ball. Hopefully we see him in a wide position in the next couple of games.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I like the way he's so committed in his play. Makes a decision early and follows it through. None of that indecisive faffing about that Nani used to do. Been a wee bit hit and miss so far but I reckon he's going to be class for us.
Yeah he works on instinct. Got a very good feeling about him.

Maybe that hinders his decision making somewhat, in that he makes his choice so quickly. Like this morning with that shot he took early in the game, he'd made his mind up early to work a shot. Maybe could've played in Mata. But these types of players, I like seeing them express themselves and letting them show us what they can do.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
My slight worry is that we may be repeating the same mistakes with him that we are making with Di Maria. We are playing the ball to his feet when it seems obvious that his strength is running on to the ball and running into space. Playing him as a no. 10 will inhibit all of his strengths. IMO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
My slight worry is that we may be repeating the same mistakes with him that we are making with Di Maria. We are playing the ball to his feet when it seems obvious that his strength is running on to the ball and running into space. Playing him as a no. 10 will inhibit all of his strengths. IMO.
Apart from the fact that every attacking player would prefer running onto the ball in space, if possible, what makes you think this is particularly true for Depay? I'll admit I never watched him in Holland but the various youtube clips I've seen usually show him picking the ball up with defenders still to beat, then cutting inside onto his right foot to get a shot off.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I've seen usually show him picking the ball up with defenders still to beat, then cutting inside onto his right foot to get a shot off.
That's what I meant, maybe I didn't word it right. But he seems to be your traditional inside forward who looks to cut in and score from wide positions. We seem to be using him as a no. 10 so far though which doesn't showcase his talents at all. For example, from what I have seen so far, his passing is nowhere near good enough to play in that position. I could be wrong however. He may have done well as a no. 10 in the past.

Anyway, it is preseaon so probably no reason to get too fussed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's what I meant, maybe I didn't word it right. But he seems to be your traditional inside forward who looks to cut in and score from wide positions. We seem to be using him as a no. 10 so far though which doesn't showcase his talents at all. For example, from what I have seen so far, his passing is nowhere near good enough to play in that position. I could be wrong however. He may have done well as a no. 10 in the past.

Actually if anything, I've been pleasantly surprised with his passing as a #10. Not once has his passing seemed off or anything like that, for a winger like him it's really good actually. He's a very clever and creative player as well and has great movement so he always seems like he'll get a goal/assist whenever he gets on the ball while playing as a 10. The only thing you could say is that his spacial awareness for that position isn't that great yet, and that he gets caught waiting for the ball to come to him so the defender steps in front of him pretty often, but his touch and passing has been very good and creative so far IMO.

One thing I especially like from him there is how his dribbling opens up space for others and Mata/Rooney and him seem to have a very good understanding and find themselves in great positions because of it. Will only get better too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Gotcha. Although I was impressed with the creativity of his passing in the first game. Van Gaal seems to be intent on turning him into a striker anyway, so I guess we shouldn't get too hung up on the position he played at PSV.

Kag

It looks very basic but that sort of finish is something we lack throughout our side. Rooney and Mata are good finishers but after that we're a tad stuck. Depay can go a long way to solving that.

championo

Top Stalker
His first touch and quickness around the box reminds me of Saha. The finish too. Saha had a flare for hitting the ball that way.

RooneyLegend

Thought he'd be more relentless than he's been. He plays like he's in gear 1 most of the time and that surprises me somewhat. He's got to be more direct and try things more. He does seem to have good natural offensive movement off the ball in the final third which is a good thing as that probably means he'll put up some good numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.