g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rio Olympics 2016

Skills

Snitch
Someone explain team pursuit cycling to me.
Only watch it at the olympics, but as far as I understand:

Goal is to set the fastest time as a team (fastest 3 riders out of 4 count) over 4 k. They do all the swapping shit for aerodynamic efficiency - the rider at the front has the highest workload, so they switch to conserve energy.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Only watch it at the olympics, but as far as I understand:

Goal is to set the fastest time as a team (fastest 3 riders out of 4 count) over 4 k. They do all the swapping shit for aerodynamic efficiency - the rider at the front has the highest workload, so they switch to conserve energy.
Thanks, that kind of makes sense.

NinjaFletch

When did they get rid of the helmets and points in Olympic boxing?

I know they controversially allowed professionals in, did they change that at the same time?

Classical Mechanic

When did they get rid of the helmets and points in Olympic boxing?

I know they controversially allowed professionals in, did they change that at the same time?
No head guards has been in place for longer. The thinking was that it was a false economy because the torque caused by the extra weight of the head guard was potentially more damaging than the facial protection it gave.

Women and kids still wear them though but men have a lot more power pound for pound.

Stunning three punch finish from Buatsi there!

Edit: above is what my boxing coach told me but further research says that head injuries were more common with the head guard probably because it affects vision and can give boxers a false sense of security.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

No head guards has been in place for longer. The thinking was that it was a false economy because the torque caused by the extra weight of the head guard was potentially more damaging than the facial protection it gave.

Women and kids still wear them though but men have a lot more power pound for pound.

Stunning three punch finish from Buatsi there!
Cheers. When did the scoring system change?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Simone Biles is... there are no words, she's left me speechless throughout the Olympics.

NinjaFletch

Team Sky and the GB cycling team are based in Manchester and have been dominating cycling for years now. The team was so dominant in they changed the rules to stop us winning so many medals before the 2012 Olympics.
Yeah I remember that and we still swept the floor :lol:

I also remember such complaints as our wheels being 'too round'.

shabz

Get in GB!!! Oh we do love the Olympics. Played them all for fools the last four years. :devil:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
anyone see that chap bust his elbow in the wrong direction in last nights weightlifting?

Was horrifying as his elbow buckled in the opposite direction under the weights!

shabz

BBC's coverage has been excellent this year I have to say. Really making use of all the platforms and getting excellent ex Olympians in for analysis.