Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smores

Clearly everyone is slightly on edge about this transfer or they would just admit Rom cost around 90 to 100m instead of trying to ignore the 15 million add ons. Rooney as a free transfer i can believe.

For what it is worth in this day and age he is probably nearly worth that amount when you see the other fees knocking about.

I was just digging up all the people who laughed at me for saying he would go for around 100m.
Unless we know the terms of those add ons to be virtually guaranteed then its a bit daft to claim the 90m as the cost.

I'm surprised to see some say he's worth 50mil. That's a ridiculously low fee in this day and age for a young proven PL player, absolutely no basis in reality.

TheReligion

Abusive
Clearly everyone is slightly on edge about this transfer or they would just admit Rom cost around 90 to 100m instead of trying to ignore the 15 million add ons. Rooney as a free transfer i can believe.

For what it is worth in this day and age he is probably nearly worth that amount when you see the other fees knocking about.

I was just digging up all the people who laughed at me for saying he would go for around 100m.
He's not gone for a world record fee though has he?

I can do the same as you..

He's gone for around 75m.

el3mel

Should have come to united in 2013 itself and got him for 28m and host of other players, matic probably.
At least coming later is better than not coming at all. I'm happy he ended up here at the end.

Gause

14:16
Mourinho's insistence on buy-back clauses
Chelsea didn’t insert one in Lukaku’s contract when he permanently left for Everton. What a great piece of work by Mourinho that was.

Did Chelsea really let Jose have a say in that?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Some fans are incredibly clueless, they're too focused on prices that no longer mean anything tbh. Clubs are richer so therefore players cost much more.

Hojoon

If he reaches the full 15m in add ons then we'll probably have won a PL and/or CL. People say Renato Sanches cost 35m, not 80m.

Either way, I don't give care about prices and people caring so much about them is a weird phenomena.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Assuming the add-ons are related to performance, the more he ends up costing us the better off we are.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Did Chelsea really let Jose have a say in that?
Knowing them. Probably not. They could have got a nice little sum out of this. Although if there had been a clause we might not have bought him. It is alright adding it into Michael Keane's fee. This one could have got out of control.

prtk0811

Lukaku is a good signing (I still remain to be convinced if he can step up) but we have major problems in feeding him.
Pogba and Mkh will feed him, Martial and rashford and lukaku should link up for each other.

DomesticTadpole

Pogba and Mkh will feed him, Martial and rashford and lukaku should link up for each other.
That was the theory last year with Ibra and it didn't happen. They really do need to step up. A good pre-season should help though. The last one left us totally under-prepared.

TheReligion

Abusive
Lukaku is a good signing (I still remain to be convinced if he can step up) but we have major problems in feeding him.
I'm not so sure.

Remember we were one of the top club's at chance creation last season? It was the fact only Zlatan chipped in we didn't score as many..

I don't think Lukaku will be short of chances, it's about other players stepping up to help out. Rom will be ruthless.

Infra-red

Assuming the add-ons are related to performance, the more he ends up costing us the better off we are.
Indeed. If he only ends up costing us £75m, it means he will have failed to meet numerous bonuses for goals, appearances, team of the year awards etc and will have been an awful signing. If he ends up costing £90m, it means he'll have been brilliant and this will be remembered as a very good deal.

Fully Fledged

I am actually looking forward to seeing how Sandro Ramirez does.
Did well for Malaga last season. Let's see how that transfers to the PL.

I hope that this money means that they kick on. Our league is successful because of the amount of teams that challenge at the top of the league Everton at least closing the gap to the top teams will only enhance that.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I'm not so sure.

Remember we were one of the top club's at chance creation last season? It was the fact only Zlatan chipped in we didn't score as many..

I don't think Lukaku will be short of chances, it's about other players stepping up to help out. Rom will be ruthless.
I think him and Pogba will have a great rapport on the field as well as off. Pogba's passing deserved so many more goals last season from our strikers, and hopefully Lukaku will be on the end converting those passes this coming season.

Lukaku wasn't my first choice striker, but I believe in Jose and I can see why he has gone for him.

cheeky_backheel

Like how they fed them last season such that Pogba and Mkhi had only 6 and 5 assist each in all competitions, behind Herrera, Rooney, Zlatan and Martial?

There is no valid basis for your expectation

prtk0811

That was the theory last year with Ibra and it didn't happen. They really do need to step up. A good pre-season should help though. The last one left us totally under-prepared.
Tactically Ibra as a focal point dropped too deep and dint stretch defense and was immobile ( yet he scored 28 goals and counting till injury which is incredible ) resulting in sower transition and lesser space in the final third, and Mkh took time to cope to the league demands and Also many times the right balance was missing in the middle with pogba to be more attack minded. Lukaku will run at defenders and also get one one one with the keeper so pogba's service might come handy and mkh's assists too with more space in final third, we just need better transition from deep midfeild position.

@cheeky_backheel

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Like how they fed them last season such that Pogba and Mkhi had only 6 and 5 assist each in all competitions, behind Herrera, Rooney, Zlatan and Martial?

There is no valid basis for your expectation
Did you even watch last season? Pogba did his job in feeding strikers, but we couldn't put them away. So many time last season it was said Pogba's assist would be very high is our strikers could just fecking finish.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm happy with this signing. Think he'll improve us upfront and will bring out the best in Pogba.

On a side note, Duncan Castles didn't have a Scooby about this deal happening.

manunited1919

Couldn't care less about finding the source now, it was on several imaginative articles I've read on this.
So it's just a possibility, according to someone's imagination. Well, it is an interesting thought, but I wouldn't believe it much. No buying club would accept a buyback clause given Reals price demand on Morata, and given the history of already exercising one buyback with Juventus.

DomesticTadpole

I'm not so sure.

Exactly. That was the problem last year. Ibra missed some, but scored a lot as well until his injury. The rest were atrocious. They have to share the load. You just hope some don't put all the responsibility onto Lukaku.

Fully Fledged

Just seen this on twitter, is this true?
The Rooney bit no. He's going on a free.
The fact that we sold them Schneiderlin for £7.5m is true, the fact that we will get £7.5m for the resale of Keane is true but how those 2 deals impact the Lukaku deal I have no idea.

cheeky_backheel

Did you even watch last season? Pogba did his job in feeding strikers, but we couldn't put them away. So many time last season it was said Pogba's assist would be very high is our strikers could just fecking finish.
If Pogba is creating so many chances and they are not being converted, while others are getting more assists while creating less, then maybe the quality of the opportunities he creates are not good enough.

Based on PL games, the player that created chances most often was Mata at 2.45 per 90min. Pogba creation rate was 1.97 slightly behind rooney who had 1.98. Mkhi had 1.87.

Zlatan is a very good finisher, and Lukaku in place of Zlatan is not going to magically transform Pogba and Mkhi into assist machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.