Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

prtk0811

Zlatan is a very good finisher, and Lukaku in place of Zlatan is not going to magically transform Pogba and Mkhi into assist machines.
A better transition will result in more space in the final third and hence more goals and assists

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
If Pogba is creating so many chances and they are not being converted, while others are getting more assists while creating less, then maybe the quality of the opportunities he creates are not good enough.

Based on PL games, the player that created chances most often was Mata at 2.45 per 90min. Pogba creation rate was 1.97 slightly behind rooney who had 1.98. Mkhi had 1.87.

Zlatan is a very good finisher, and Lukaku in place of Zlatan is not going to magically transform Pogba and Mkhi into assist machines.
You can throw stats at me to your blue in the face, I watched Man Utd last season and one thing we wasn't short of was creating chances. This is a fact. Perhaps towards the back end of the season our play went a bit stale, which was understandable with the amount of games we had been playing and our injury list piling up. A lot of Pogba's chances didn't get converted, but it wasn't just his passes as you have pointed out. Other players were creating chances too. Lukaku will get plenty of chances to convert. We are a better team with better individual players than Everton, and he didn't do bad there did he?

Tarrou

I'm still gonna be quite surprised if Rooney ends up at Everton. I mean surely they watched him recently?

cheeky_backheel

A better transition will result in more space in the final third and hence more goals and assists
and all these would magically appear?

There is nothing to suggest our problem was poor transition, particularly when most teams we played against sat deep.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
Well clearly not because Everton want him back and are willing to pay his wages. All I'm saying is we could do better with negotiating the fee. It's this 'yeah you can have our players for free but we'll pay you £75 million for yours' that I disagree with. Sure, £25 million may be a high but you start high and negotiate downwards when selling. You don't ask, you don't get. And that's what Everton and Real Madrid have done, ask. £75 million is a ripoff for Morata and Lukaku but hey, there'll always be one mug club who pays it.

Not just Rooney but look at some of our terrible sales over the last few seasons:

Nani - £5 million
RvP - £5 million
Chicharito - £7 million
Michael Keane - £2 million
Memphis - £13 million
Schneiderlin - £19 million
Zaha - £ 3 million

Those are 1996 transfer fees.
Well Chicharito was reportedly £9 million(Transfer League had it as £12 million), Michael Keane £3 million(or potentially over £10 million with the 25% sell on clause now that he has left Burnley), Memphis £18 million, Schneiderlin £22-24 million, and Zaha £6 million(and the club supposedly got a loan fee as well before he was sold back to Palace)

manunited1919

Confirmed
That is Everton's way of calculation:
£75m + £15m add-ons + £10m Rooney's value = £100m net transfer.

The real way of doing the calculation:
£75m + £15m add-ons + £0m Rooney's value - 15m wage savings on Rooney = £75m net transfer.

cheeky_backheel

You can throw stats at me to your blue in the face, I watched Man Utd last season and one thing we wasn't short of was creating chances. This is a fact. Perhaps towards the back end of the season our play went a bit stale, which was understandable with the amount of games we had been playing and our injury list piling up. A lot of Pogba's chances didn't get converted, but it wasn't just his passes as you have pointed out. Other players were creating chances too. Lukaku will get plenty of chances to convert. We are a better team with better individual players than Everton, and he didn't do bad there did he?
Stats are fact, the rest are just your opinion.

A lot of the chances we created last season involved Zlatan but Lukaku is less creative than Zlatan. So the notion that Lukaku replacing Zlatan would suddenly result in more chances being created is simply ridiculous and more fictional than pure fantasy.

prtk0811

and all these would magically appear?

There is nothing to suggest our problem was poor transition, particularly when most teams we played against sat deep.
Dint kante signing and a change in system magically transform chelsea? Did they have any problems against teams that sat deep against them too?

When the balance is right yes it magically happens.

RedStarUnited

It just hit how orchestrated this instagram video was. At the time of posting the video, it would have been just past midnight in LA. Which means it was probably recorded yesterday whilst all that Chelsea stuff was coming out.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

A lot of the chances we created last season involved Zlatan but Lukaku is less creative than Zlatan. So the notion that Lukaku replacing Zlatan would suddenly result in more chances being created is simply ridiculous and more fictional than pure fantasy.
This is for you to watch. ;)

RedStarUnited

Theres a notion that most people dont like but I believe in - Zlatan was wasteful between October and December.

He scored a lot of goals for us be he really should have had more. I think Lukaku will easily get more goals than Zlatan did last year.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If Pogba is creating so many chances and they are not being converted, while others are getting more assists while creating less, then maybe the quality of the opportunities he creates are not good enough.

Based on PL games, the player that created chances most often was Mata at 2.45 per 90min. Pogba creation rate was 1.97 slightly behind rooney who had 1.98. Mkhi had 1.87.

Pogba had a love affair with the post and crossbar as well.

TonyMarshall

Gonna be some bromance between Lukaku and Pogba. Lingard will be relegated to 3rd wheel.

cheeky_backheel

Dint kante signing and a change in system magically transform chelsea? Did they have any problems against teams that sat deep against them too?

When the balance is right yes it magically happens.
Your example is not applicable. Chelsea were under a new manager, playing a different system with a few different players added. There is no evidence that Mourinho will be adopting a new system next season.

Also Chelsea won the league 2 season prior without Kante and they didnt struggle against teams that sat deep. Dress room chaos was more at fault for their down season than the absence of Kante.

All we have so far is Lukaku in place of Zlatan and that will not magically change the system or balance of the team

ChaddyP

Confirmed

Really worried Mbappe will cost us 150me at this rate....
I love how it's widely reported that Chelsea matched our offer, but the offer we supposedly made includes Rooney. Where did Chelsea find another Rooney from

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For those who forget he played for West Brom, his hat trick stopped Fergie from winning his last ever game

God I forgot how bad that was, what a pathetic collapse. Fergie deserved better than that for his last match.

cheeky_backheel

Theres a notion that most people dont like but I believe in - Zlatan was wasteful between October and December.

He scored a lot of goals for us be he really should have had more. I think Lukaku will easily get more goals than Zlatan did last year.
That is a different argument and possibly true that Lukaku can be more clinical than Zlatan, but that does not mean Lukaku would have more chances to score from.

I expect Lukaku to score 20+ goals if he is provided with good enough service. It is where the service ill come from that is my concern as I dont expect Pogba and Mkhi to become assist machines overnight, when they were not even our most creative player or assist leaders last season.

Moonred

Your example is not applicable. Chelsea were under a new manager, playing a different system with a few different players added. There is no evidence that Mourinho will be adopting a new system next season.

Also Chelsea won the league 2 season prior without Kante and they didnt struggle against teams that sat deep. Dress room chaos was more at fault for their down season than the absence of Kante.

All we have so far is Lukaku in place of Zlatan and that will not magically change the system or balance of the team
You are correct. I don't expect Lukaku to score more than Zlatan. Definitely not a
Lot more. We needed a striker to replace Zlatan and we have that. Rest of our attack needs to contribute in goals and hope that is the case.

AshRK

Lukaku may look slow because of his upper body but I have seen many times he just out runs defenders with ease. Top top signing by us.

Last edited:

cheeky_backheel

I know, but if some of them had gone in it might have changed games. I was more hinting at others getting more goals. Maybe this season he might actually convert them to goals rather that going for a conversion.
I am actually less concerned about Pogba scoring, when we have other players in attacking positions who cant seem to contribute their fair share.

Steven7290

That is a different argument and possibly true that Lukaku can be more clinical than Zlatan, but that does not mean Lukaku would have more chances to score from.

I expect Lukaku to score 20+ goals if he is provided with good enough service. It is where the service ill come from that is my concern as I dont expect Pogba and Mkhi to become assist machines overnight, when they were not even our most creative player or assist leaders last season.
Our Achilles heel last season was putting away chances which we created a ton of every match (when Pogba plays), I'm not concerned about creating chance and actually don't know where this worry came from. The Philosophy is still haunting us I suppose.

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
You are correct. I don't expect Lukaku to score more than Zlatan. Definitely not a
Lot more. We needed a striker to replace Zlatan and we have that. Rest of our attack needs to contribute in goals and hope that is the case.
Rashford is a beast who will only get better imo. expect him to offer more goals

AndyJ1985

Lukaku may look slow because of his upper body but I have seen many times he just out runs dete deta with ease. Top top signing by us.
That's impressive. Not many players out run dete deta.

Status
Not open for further replies.