5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Jim Holton

Is this 'footballing age' a myth or has it been scientifically proven? As in, when you play lots of matches since a very young age (Rooney at 16/17 years old) your legs (or body) will regress faster than other players.
The knocks, bangs, tears and strains all start to take a toll. The sooner you start playing, the sooner you are finished. With Rooney you can add bad diet, smoking and drinking to the list, along with genetic fatness.

Minimalist

Make no mistake though guys - when he does go, there will plenty who think it's a massive mistake and will bring it up for a long time with every defeat we have. "There's just no heart in the team anymore without Rooney"

Feck sake, loads of people thought it was wrong to get rid of Danny feckin Welbeck when he could barely avoid the corner flag!

Utdstar01

I was just thinking...is this one of the most dramatic declines in a player's ability/performances in football? I mean it's sad to see him play now (well it has been for a while).

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The knocks, bangs, tears and strains all start to take a toll. The sooner you start playing, the sooner you are finished. With Rooney you can add bad diet, smoking and drinking to the list, along with genetic fatness.
It's not a law, though. Giggs made his debout when he was 17 and we all know how he turned out.

Red Stone

It's not a law, though. Giggs made his debout when he was 17 and we all know how he turned out.
Giggs kept himself in superb shape in his later years and made sure his body was ready for a game of top level football. Rooney hasn't done that ever.

Big Jim Holton

Yup!......Giggs did extra training after a single bag of 'chippy' chips the night before that he'd had as a treat. Rooney thinks a 'jumbo' sausage with the chips is the answer to that.

criticalanalysis

Why does every time two people disagree have to mean someone is failing to grasp something? maybe we just disagree? I mean given there isn't a single incident of Rooney passing to Pogba poorly and then him failming to control it from the game so I feel you are on the ropes but, I've grasped your point, I just disagree, lets leave it there, I have other things to do. Namely read about who chris Sutton is laying in to today or maybe which school class he has gone in to to inform santa isn't real, guy is brutal, but great for it.
Wuut?

0:40

I respectfully agree people have can disagree without needing to say who's definitely 'right' but come on, you are blatantly ignoring the truth; Rooney does bring down the play of others.

Don't do it to yourself man ;). It's like when everyone can see the abusive relationship someone is in, you need to let go (of that bias) and accept it's not healthy for you to continue defending them..

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Your premise is flawed because it is based on an argument literally nobody has made, you create constant strawmen and backpedal on your own words.
Maybe I'm biased because I think Rooney has become the worst value for money deal in the world of football, but your entire point is based on nonsensical between-the-lines-reading. If that is the sole foundation for an argument you could pretty much argue anything against any post. I could, for example, read between the lines that you're a die hard Rooney fanboy that can't stand people rightly ripping on your favorite which leads to you becoming defensive and creating strawmen to defend him. I'm not saying you are, but I could read that between the lines easily... and worse.
Well said

@Walters_19_MuFc has somehow become a real die hard Rooney fan

finneh

Is this 'footballing age' a myth or has it been scientifically proven? As in, when you play lots of matches since a very young age (Rooney at 16/17 years old) your legs (or body) will regress faster than other players.
I think it's more about professionalism (and/or injuries) rather than anything else. Most player's who are finished by their mid to late twenties have huge question marks over their dedication to the sport.

You look at Ronaldinho, Rooney, Brazilian Ronaldo and in other sports the likes of Hatton and Naseem Hamed; they all had incredible talent which they realised young, but then crashed and burned when their constant battle with lifestyle caught up with them.

On the flip side the likes of Giggs, Maldini, Messi, Portuguese Ronaldo or the likes of Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather have or will (saving injury) feature consistently well into their mid thirties (or longer).

People will say body type has a huge impact, but I disagree. Ronaldinho had a naturally small build, which only ballooned as a result of his lifestyle. On the flip side Lampard had a similar body shape to Rooney and still contributed in a top Premier League team past his 36th birthday.

Of course these are slightly anecdotal examples but I do think there is a theme. Dedicate yourself to your sport and you'll give yourself the best possible chance of playing well into your thirties. Treat your abilities as a God given talent that is immune to decay and you're likely tempting fate.

LouisDanGaal

Wuut?

I respectfully agree people have can disagree without needing to say who's definitely 'right' but come on, you are blatantly ignoring the truth; Rooney does bring down the play of others.

Don't do it to yourself man ;). It's like when everyone can see the abusive relationship someone is in, you need to let go (of that bias) and accept it's not healthy for you to continue defending them..
Okay he offered one bad pass to him. that must be the reason Pogba had a terrible game. That one bad pass. I don't have a bias. Rooney played 40 passes in the game, he was basically anonymous, and when he did have the ball he was terrible. However Pogba played a lot more bad passes to Rashford, consult the videos if you like, and Rashford still came out as our motm. That one bad pass had no bearing on the game. It was one pass, I can't even believe you went to get video proof for that and then stuck with it even though your findings were so weak. Can we stop arguing now, its match day, lets bitch about a different player, preferably one of the Northampton guys

Walters_19_MuFc

Well said

@Walters_19_MuFc has somehow become a real die hard Rooney fan
Funny thing is, the issue is not about me defending Rooney's performance(s). The debate me and Dobbs had was about people thinking problems in our team would suddenly vanish had Rooney been left out.

Now, although this has not been said word for word (it might have been. Haven't looked through whole of thread) I personally feel that people thought, especially prior to the Feyenoord game, that Rooney out of the team would mean us playing great football.

Comments blaming Rooney for Pogba and Ibra's performance, or saying that if he's in the team, so and so can't do this or can't play there led me to believe that all the blame was on Rooney.

In the Feyenoord game, for example, Pogba wasn't great, and all of a sudden no one was to blame. He played in a 433, on the left, with 2 more defence minded players than himself and he didn't really shine. Had Rooney played, I bet your bottom dollar that Rooney's name would have come up.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Funny thing is, the issue is not about me defending Rooney's performance(s). The debate me and Dobbs had was about people thinking problems in our team would suddenly vanish had Rooney been left out.

Now, although this has not been said word for word (it might have been. Haven't looked through whole of thread) I personally feel that people thought, especially prior to the Feyenoord game, that Rooney out of the team would mean us playing great football.

Comments blaming Rooney for Pogba and Ibra's performance, or saying that if he's in the team, so and so can't do this or can't play there led me to believe that all the blame was on Rooney.

In the Feyenoord game, for example, Pogba wasn't great, and all of a sudden no one was to blame. He played in a 433, on the left, with 2 more defence minded players than himself and he didn't really shine. Had Rooney played, I bet your bottom dollar that Rooney's name would have come up.
Of course it's not an immediate effect thing, it's not like you remove the problem and everything fixes itself on the spot. These players are not used to playing without Rooney, they are used to him stopping every attack, playing at slow pace and generally crap offensive movement. They're not going to suddenly play more fluid football in the very first game without him. Give them 2-3 months without Rooney and you'd see it, they will find understanding without Rooney, won't have to look for Rooney everytime they get the ball, will be able to develop their own style of football.

Devil may care

Of course it's not an immediate effect thing, it's not like you remove the problem and everything fixes itself on the spot. These players are not used to playing without Rooney, they are used to him stopping every attack, playing at slow pace and generally crap offensive movement. They're not going to suddenly play more fluid football in the very first game without him. Give them 2-3 months without Rooney and you'd see it, they will find understanding without Rooney, won't have to look for Rooney everytime they get the ball, will be able to develop their own style of football.
Exactly, the time has come to start building the next United and it will only happen if it is give time to gel without a has-been clogging up the progression.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Rumour he starts tonight......

Never did like this competition anyways
There's no good outcome for this.

Scenarios:
1) He starts, plays shit, we lose and its now 4 in 4
2) He starts, plays well, media lick his arse and gets another 5 games to play shit in

sport2793

Wuut?

Didn't watch the match but Rooney was horrendous based off that video. Maybe his worst performance in a United shirt?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Didn't watch the match but Rooney was horrendous based off that video. Maybe his worst performance in a United shirt?
As bad as I've seen him play. Note that I've only watched about 50 United games since Moyes took over.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Fletch and Scholes' love child?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Why are you completely ignoring that we made 8 changes to that team?

Rooney fans always go on about how he needs time to get into form,why shouldn't the same apply to that group of players?

Its such kind of flawed logic which is resulting in no one taking you seriously.

Walters_19_MuFc

Why are you completely ignoring that we made 8 changes to that team?

Rooney fans always go on about how he needs time to get into form,why shouldn't the same apply to that group of players?

Its such kind of flawed logic which is resulting in no one taking you seriously.
No one taking me serious, yet people keep quoting me.

Fact is, I'm not ignoring that the team made 8 changes. I'm just going off the excitement and expectation before the game when the teams were announced without Rooney.

After the game I acknowledged that it's hard for a team who make so many changes to get into the flow of things straight away. Having said that, there's plenty of teams who rotate their team and put in better performances that ours against Feyenoord. It was awful!

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
No one taking me serious, yet people keep quoting me.

Fact is, I'm not ignoring that the team made 8 changes. I'm just going off the excitement and expectation before the game when the teams were announced without Rooney.

After the game I acknowledged that it's hard for a team who make so many changes to get into the flow of things straight away. Having said that, there's plenty of teams who rotate their team and put in better performances that ours against Feyenoord. It was awful!
You use one game to lambast that group of players yet you refuse to see do the same after one game for Rooney? None of the players you mentioned were as bad against Feyernoord as Rooney was against Watford.

Surely that is the definition of hypocrisy.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
There are a couple of terrible moments missing in the video posted a couple of pages back. Which I have included here:

For me, the worst moments in that clip is the one that starts at 28 sec and the one that starts at 38

First, hes slow to react, has a poor touch and he has zero awareness to his surroundings which inevitably ends with him getting his pocket picked, then he gets embarrassed in the duel later in which he ends up on his arse. In the next clip he proves without a doubt he has lost all confidence with the ball at his feet, so he just hits a hopeless pass so he won't get disposed. In fact in those two clips alone he displays:

[x] Slow reactions
[x] Poor touch
[x] Poor awareness
[x] Poor technique
[x] Poor balance
[x] No confidence
[x] No ability to beat his man
[x] Poor short range passing

And i know, i know. Cherry pick your clips and you can make anyone look like either a world beater or a donkey, but with Rooney you see it again and again and again. In fact, those qualities i listed i would say was exactly the polar opposite you would look for in a #10

wr8_utd

:'(
You guys should be happy if he starts tonight. He really won't be starting at the weekend then.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is certainly a no win for Rooney tonight, unless he absolutely storms it and gets a hatrick!

Doesn't score/plays bad, the pressure ramps up a million
Does alright/decent, maybe scores, and it's "Only Northampton"

kps88

Doubt he'd make the Leicester game now unless he's taken off early.

AndyJ1985

I think it's a big deal that he starts when almost the entire team is changed from Watford. Mourinho is sending a message.

FujiVice

Breaking the record away to Northampton in the League Cup would pretty much sum up Wayne Rooney's current standing in World football to be honest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Breaking the record away to Northampton in the League Cup would pretty much sum up Wayne Rooney's current standing in World football to be honest.
no one would remember who he did it against.

A few people tried to talk his England record down, as if Charlton had scored all 49 in the world cup final.

Anyway, he aint scoring 4 tonight! We aren't as a team!

Status
Not open for further replies.