AFTV/AM '17/'18: A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

Decent if unspectacular signings, seems their fans are just relieved to be getting anyone through the door, quality of signings not the most important thing right now, and tbf I'd be feeling the same if roles were reversed.

The most baffling thing for me is why they didn't do it sooner, these two could have been got weeks ago, 5 points already wasted, and plenty of time likely needed for them to settle in.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I still don't think they'll challenge for the league. They'll get injuries and have their annual meltdown at some point around Christmas or early in 2017. If they replace Wenger next year I think they have a very good squad for a new manager to build on, but I don't think Wenger has a title challenge in him any more.

ThanksBoss26

Decent if unspectacular signings, seems their fans are just relieved to be getting anyone through the door, quality of signings not the most important thing right now, and tbf I'd be feeling the same if roles were reversed.

The most baffling thing for me is why they didn't do it sooner, these two could have been got weeks ago, 5 points already wasted, and plenty of time likely needed for them to settle in.
Fair post and you're right, we probably would but with a clear head it's not the way to be. Otherwise you end up with some of the average players we've signed in the past few years.

Appreciate they've been chasing Mustafi all summer but I do wonder if these signings will also end up in that 'average' category. Time will tell but I'm not hugely concerned they're going to massively improve them at this stage.

Incidentally, they evidently turned down the chance to sign Perez last week according to this.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Arsenal-mania suddenly think they are the dogs bollox. Wenger is now the man and some on there are having a go at us for signing Pogba.

Traub

I still don't think they'll challenge for the league. They'll get injuries and have their annual meltdown at some point around Christmas or early in 2017. If they replace Wenger next year I think they have a very good squad for a new manager to build on, but I don't think Wenger has a title challenge in him any more.
Regarding a good squad, we thought the same when SAF retired. For all his faults, Wenger is still a good manager. They need to get the next appointment spot on

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Regarding a good squad, we thought the same when SAF retired. For all his faults, Wenger is still a good manager. They need to get the next appointment spot on
I suppose it depends if they can keep hold of Ozil and Sanchez. Without them I think the standard of that squad drops considerably. I agree on the next appointment and I think a Moyes style appointment would hurt them more than it hurt United.

AR87

If I'm Ozil or Sanchez late window panic signings of a relatively unknown Spanish striker and Mustafi don't move the needle for me. Anything short of a genuine title push in the league and/or CL semi run or deeper have me looking to leave next summer.

Hellboy

If I'm Ozil or Sanchez late window panic signings of a relatively unknown Spanish striker and Mustafi don't move the needle for me. Anything short of a genuine title push in the league and/or CL semi run or deeper have me looking to leave next summer.
They'll both look for a transfer next summer, title push or not ...

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
They'll both look for a transfer next summer, title push or not ...
Seems likely given that both of their current deals run out in 2018. You'd think they would have signed by now if they were keen on staying.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal-mania suddenly think they are the dogs bollox. Wenger is now the man and some on there are having a go at us for signing Pogba.
Sorry but signing your ex player who left for free for a world record (and it is with agents fees) 100 million plus is always going to be hilarious.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Sorry but signing your ex player who left for free for a world record (and it is with agents fees) 100 million plus is always going to be hilarious.
I think the Raiola percentage was paid by Juve. It's still a world record at £89m so don't see why you would try to add on agents fees

Hammerfell

I'm quite happy to be laughed at for bringing a player back when he's winning us titles and the Arse are bravely battling for fourth.

3KDré

It's not that funny when you realise that Pogba could be the best midfielder in the world.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Two awful signings from Wenger. Perez is 27 yet has only scored 52 career goals while Mustafi is the German Gary Cahill.

Another season of mediocrity beckons.

vk20legend

Hilarious is:

• Asking the fans to shell out the highest season ticket prices in Europe for the last decade to constantly fail in delivering even a single league title.
  • Selling the fans the dream of a bigger stadium means competing with the big boys in transfers and still not able to properly replace your last proper striker(RvP) in 4 years.
  • Adding up to the number of participants to 32 teams in CL but still not even crossing the second knockout round in what?! 6 straight years now?!
  • Having a manager who is hell bent on his ways and the only way the fans see a superstar signing is if the selling club decide they don't need the player and no other big team is going for him or if the "keeper" wants only to play for a London club.
  • When all the so called "killing football with big spending" clubs had a lousy season, Hilarious is when Arsenal still couldn't beat Leicester City to the title.
I don't know. You tell me. I find these hilarious than us buying back a player.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Juve changed their official statement? I could swear they stated that £89m including agent fees were the official transfer sum as per their official transfer statement.

Anyways, we paid £89m for arguably the worlds best CM (atleast when it comes to the pl, modric is probably better but Pogba is more suited to the PL), while Arse paid £38m including bonuses for a mediocre foul machine in Granit Xhaka.

Last edited:

clarkydaz

Wenger forever moaning about crazy money in football while pocketing £8m a year is fascinating. Some might also say...hilarious even

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Two awful signings from Wenger. Perez is 27 yet has only scored 52 career goals while Mustafi is the German Gary Cahill.

Nonsense, on Mustafi especially.

How's your search for a centre-back going? We'll finish above you lot again.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Arsenal fans never truly cease to amaze me. They and their club are the personification of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again but hoping for a different result.

I had an argument with an Arsenal fan on another forum when I said they won't get close to winning the leagu last year after we got beat 3-0 away and it seems there are more candidates for eye-opening advice on here.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How much can fans' season ticket prises fall if Saint Arsene takes a 50% pay cut? I'd like to crunch those numbers.

Sigma

Arsenal fans never truly cease to amaze me. They and their club are the personification of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again but hoping for a different result.

I had an argument with an Arsenal fan on another forum when I said they won't get close to winning the leagu last year after we got beat 3-0 away and it seems there are more candidates for eye-opening advice on here.
The definition of insanity isn't doing the same thing over and over again but hoping for a different result, thats just a quote

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
:lol: £1400 season ticket is hilarious. Pogba is world class and we would have been interested in him regardless of him being an ex player or not. Money would have been spent somewhere else anyway and he is just a drop in the ocean,

Bogart-er

Supports
Arsenal

At the start of the transfer window, any Arsenal fan would've bitten your hand off for a CB, CM/DM and a proper striker.

Xhaka solves the CM/DM problem and is exactly the sort of midfielder we needed.

I haven't seen much of Mustafi apart from the Euros but atleast him replacing Mertesacker means we can finally play a proper high line/high press with two aggressive defenders. I think i'll reserve my judgement on the 'German Cahill' until i've seen him play regularly in the PL.

As for the striker bit, I don't think any of the proper strikers were available (or interested in moving to Arsenal). The only high profile striker that moved was Higuain? (never a chance we'd pay that much for him).
Perez seems like a cheap Vardy-esque gamble and after a couple of years of watching Giroud toil upfront on his own, atleast we've got someone who can run in behind!

Also : Calling them 'awful' signings before they've even kicked a ball is slightly premature, don't you think?

Shark

@NotShark
We can't win either way. If City signed him, we'd never hear the end of it. Either way, I hope you continue to find it as funny as we did when your captain left you to join us and win the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.