Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He does some great things and then some really strange things. Weird player.

But he's crucial for us in the final 3rd.
That's my take on him, but I'd also add "some outright crap" things in there too. He's a real mix bag for me, but his influence in actually creating goals cannot be understated.

VanGaalEra

That's my take on him, but I'd also add "some outright crap" things in there too. He's a real mix bag for me, but his influence in actually creating goals cannot be understated.
Exactly why I'm happy with him in the squad every gameweek and I don't get frustrated by him.

Fiasco

Mkhitaryan has been phenomenal this season. Some of the comments in this thread are laughable.

6 league app with 5 assists. He's probably one of the most on form players in Europe at the moment.

Yet people choose to criticize him, wake up and smell the coffee, he's a creative player, he will lose the ball but he will unlock defences too. That's how it works.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Mkhitaryan has been phenomenal this season. Some of the comments in this thread are laughable.

6 league app with 5 assists. He's probably one of the most on form players in Europe at the moment.

Yet people choose to criticize him, wake up and smell the coffee, he's a creative player, he will lose the ball but he will unlock defences too. That's how it works.
His numbers are good, but it's still fair to say he does some very frustrating things on the pitch. Last night was his worst performance of the season, regardless of what he has done in the league.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Didn't watch the game so can't speak about yesterday.
I've never seen a player more adept at giving the ball away.

Blind

What utter nonsense, if that's phenomenal then you must have very low standards.

Moonred

When he isn't invisible or doing something utterly baffling, he is brilliant. I think the effective brilliance is papering over at the moment. It's great as long as he is productive.

Nick7

One thing I don't understand is his lazy passing. Sometimes he's really creative with the ball and can put it through the eye of a needle, other times he can't pick out an open player 5 yards away from him. He just seems quite lazy when it comes to safe passes, which is odd because he's far from a lazy player and quite great off the ball doggedly going after opposition players.

Barrotti

When he isn't invisible or doing something utterly baffling, he is brilliant. I think the effective brilliance is papering over at the moment. It's great as long as he is productive.
I think a lot of the mistakes/loosing possession is down to this. His first thought is to go forward, be productive and take risks. Those risks can either be entirely frustrating but as we have seen this season provides the spark our team needs at the moment.

Reactions: KM

LoneStar

Such a frustrating player to watch. He has got talent, but struggles with decision making sometimes. It's not like he is a young player either, he is pretty much at his peak. There were so many instances yesterday when he could have played Martial or Lukaku, but ignored them and tried to be Messi. He should learn to release the ball a tad bit quicker, can make all the difference in the world.

Moonred

I think a lot of the mistakes/loosing possession is down to this. His first thought is to go forward, be productive and take risks. Those risks can either be entirely frustrating but as we have seen this season provides the spark our team needs at the moment.
Nothing wrong with that. But he does need to be more consistent and solid in possession even within a game. There is a fine line between being creative and being overly audacious. I almost don't notice him for a length of time before he goes on to provide a killer assist. The frustration stems from the fact that most of us believe he is capable of his brilliance with more application.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's nearly, nearly a very amazing footballer. It's as if a world class player was being designed, but there is a very small coding error somewhere in the software. You can still see enough to show what was supposed to be created, but the glitch is stopping it from working to 100%.

If he could have a Kevin De Bruyne brain transplant it would be perfect.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I still have high expectations about him, so I usually get disappointed by his overall performance in the games. We can't afford to have such an inconsistent as a primary option. We really need one more creative winger that is more reliable. The problem is it will cost you an arm and a leg.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This might have been said already but he is apparently one assist away from equaling Coutinhos best ever tally in the league?

IrishRedDevil

This might have been said already but he is apparently one assist away from equaling Coutinhos best ever tally in the league?
I think he would have equalled it last week, but Rashford got the deflection goal after the Pogba header. Mkhitaryan put the cross in.

Dobbs

Find a player in Europe with those current statistics then.

Far too many armchair managers/players on this forum.
Haha that's what a football forum is. Did you expect to find actual managers giving their opinion?

There's at least a question mark about him at the very highest level. Good assist stats across just six games doesn't obliterate all doubts.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He was sloppy in parts but he has been pivotal to our attack and I think he takes on a bigger responsibility now what Pogba is injured. Play him centrally and he will make things happen, he just needs to be more aware of his surroundings, maybe have an extra weetabix in the morning to help with concentration.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm sorry. I just don't think this is the player we thought we were getting. Stats aside (from the first few PL games), he goes missing for huge portions of games, his decision making and finishing are poor.

Sorry, but he plays a similar role for us to say, KDB at City. Mkhi is about two levels below a player like KDB in terms of quality.

I don't like to say it as when he's on, he's on, but he's off too often for me. We need to upgrade him this summer - he's approaching 30 and has hit his ceiling.

nemanja15

For me, it's a bit of the Zlatan effect from last year. Excellent numbers, and does some very good things in games, but also detrimental to the team's play with silly errors at times.

CM

This is all a bit kneejerk. Sure, he lost the ball too much last night and was very loose with his passing but it wasn't a terrible performance by any means.

He was unlucky with the shot that hit the post and still a handful for them on the counter judging from how many fouls he drew.

Redlyn

You will not like to hear it but Klopp got the far better deal in the "Mane vs Mhki pick one" challenge. He stayed away because he knows all too well his weaknesses. Imo just not good enough overall and cant help us get to the next level.

adamwest

Hargreaves was pretty much creaming his pants every time he touched the ball. He does tend to do a few silly things but you can't take away the fact he's very very effective most of the time. Much rather have him in the 11 than not!

Fiasco

Haha that's what a football forum is. Did you expect to find actual managers giving their opinion?

There's at least a question mark about him at the very highest level. Good assist stats across just six games doesn't obliterate all doubts.
What I meant by armchair managers/ players is how people make it out that it's easy being a professional footballer. Such as 5 assists in 6 apps is nothing to get excited about.

Yet when I ask them to provide similar stats for different players in Europe, they fail to do so.

5 assists in 6 apps, is top quality, considering that ex-pro, pundits and fans consider Coutinho "world class" yet Miki is only 1 assist away from matching Coutinho last season.

I do agree Miki does go missing during parts of games, like Ronaldo, Messi, Lewandowski etc, yet what makes them different from other players is during each game they play, they will produce that magic either to unlock a defence to create a goal or score goal. Early indications suggest Miki is going to have a great season!

I wouldn't be surprised if Miki gets 20+ assists this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Mkhitaryan is a frustrating player and will always be the same player. He is a high risk, high gain player, so no wonder he creates good number of chances. I don't mind him trying to create something as we have players who plays safe but running into players again and again made him look like a brainless player.

Andersons Dietician

He and Mata when they play together seem to really complicate things and gain very little from their tiny games of to me to you. They often just end up passing it back to a midfielder then restart the game. Retention of the ball is all good but even when they open up a channel to pass to someone else they rarely do.

If Mkhitaryan plays central and learns to release the ball or play it out wide to people like Rashford or Martial then we'll be on to something. They also tend to crowd space at one point they were both over on the left and I was wondering where Martial was and he'd shifted to LB.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I find it surprising when we're coming out of a low-risk period like the Louis years where we were all bored to tears at regular intervals that we appear to have so little tolerance for our high risk players at times. Rashford, Martial and Mikhi will lose the ball regularly but they try stuff that we didn't used to try. It will come off enough to create the chances we've been creating and score the goals we've been scoring. I can can live with it. They all get me out of my seat. That's we're in it for, no?

Dante

Average bang
I'd love him in a team that had proper wingers who can look after the ball in possession and pull defenders out wide with them.

Mkhitaryan is great when there's space for runners (including himself) to exploit. But none of our options on the right or left are wingers nor, other than Mata, a good enough passer to set the tempo of the game in the final third. If we're going to pick Martial/Rashford/Lingard as our "wingers", I'd rather have Mata pulling the strings and controlling the pace of the game. Mkhitaryan has all the same weaknesses on the ball as our other attackers and that leads to imbalances in the attacking play, imo. It also leads to all the errors he was making yesterday.

He's a decent player, but a poor fit for the others in the front 4. That's not his fault, though. Just the situation he's found himself in.

Last edited:

mark_a

I love him, just like I loved Zlatan last season.

I like tangible stats and he creates shitloads of chances. I don't give a shit if he sometimes loses the ball trying stuff.
I'm a fan and agree completely. The only frustration is sometimes his decision making is poor, which is a shame. Like he'll make a great run, there'll be a great pass on, but he won't make it and be dispossessed. Doesn't happen a lot, but it's one thing he could improve. But it's merely elevating a great player up a level. Could have as much to do with the team itself gelling and understanding each other as a unit, who knows.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I think some have forgotten that he wasn't bought to be a no.10. I was saying all of last season that Mkhi isnt a number 10, he's an inverted wide player. Im confident that Rooney being utter shite and us not buying Griezmann has meant that he's had to do a job as a no.10.

Mkhi at his best was a fantastic goalscorer, but he's sacrificed himself for the team and played in a more reserved role. He's done well in that role, but he's learning on the job.

Donsangre

Yes, he had a couple of questionable moments yesterday, but so did others. He shouldve passed the ball to Lukaku or Martial earlier, but, he mustve had a better idea which didnt work, that we dont know about. The pass to Lukaku was the easy choice. I doubt that he didnt know about that. For a player with his vision of the field, that shouldve been a kneejerk reflex. I still beleive he was trying to show off, which isnt bad since we were winning. If it worked, we would be praising him here.
What really surprised me, its his ability to give long balls. I watched him a lot for over the years. He has never done that before. Something that he picked recently and is pretty good at it. He was always at his best as a secondary striker, running behind a forward, scoring lots of goals. He has a completely different role now in MU. Which is different what we expect from him and thus criticize him a lot. The team is winning. We are scoring a ton of goals. We have a couple of young creatinve, goal scoring kids. We are on the rise. Lets be happy what we have for now.

Dave46

Oh shoot, good thing that it was a 3:0 win. I can imagine the responses here at 0:3 loss.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

I don't think anyone is saying much about the EPL. I honestly think he'll be effective in England. However I think it may have been me who started this discussion that he's not good enough for the CL and having played 40+ games and averaging nearly 80 minutes a game in those matches, his stat line / final product speaks for itself and is concerning.

Shuriken

If Mikhi stops running with the ball to dead ends, which he does a bit too frequently, I think he can take a step to the next level. I have not as much issues with his missed passes in the final third, at least not as much as his somewhat questionable finishing at times.

Other than that, he was one of our best players yesterday. How anyone can say otherwise is baffling. But ffs man, try hogging the ball a bit less!

Status
Not open for further replies.