5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoityourself

I'm not talking about beating people in 1v1's, where he does tend to struggle. But there were a number of times the Liverpool midfield were trying to hold their positions and he'd go between them to put us on the front foot in fairly good position. And pace-wise, while he'll struggle against many fullbacks, he's faster than many (most?) midfielders. And certainly faster than Mata.
Fair enough. My concern with him playing in that nr.10 position is that he doesn't seem to have a creative pass in him when he's facing the goal. He'll run at the defence and pass it square to the next guy. So it makes these runs a little redundant. But we're really blunt as an attacking unit, he would of course look better in a more mobile and quicker tempo team.

khoazany

Fair enough. My concern with him playing in that nr.10 position is that he doesn't seem to have a creative pass in him when he's facing the goal. He'll run at the defence and pass it square to the next guy. So it makes these runs a little redundant. But we're really blunt as an attacking unit, he would of course look better in a more mobile and quicker tempo team.
He's not really a creator but he has goals in him and very mobile in his link up play.I'll try Januzaj on the right wing and him in the number 10 role in a game along with Martial and Rashford to see how it goes.

Norris

He can't run past people. His pace is also average.
I actually don't think his pace is that average. He's quite quick imo.

I thought he a decent game. He always made runs and was available to receive the ball. He probably abandoned some of his defensive responsibilities today, which is understandable. In the second half, he constantly made runs from the half way line almost into Liverpool's box (Although, Liverpool really didn't close him down much tbf) and he had some really good 1-2's with the likes of Martial and Rashford (That back heel for Martial's blazed over shot was lovely). Covered like 30-40 yards really quickly, but probably began to tire by the 70 min mark. Definitely one of our better players. I think people here expect every academy player to have a ceiling like Borthwick-Jackson, TFM etc which isn't necessary at all. I quite like him even if he is not as skillful enough to be a winger. His crossing is poor I agree, but I believe he can work on that. I hope he has a good career here. He's not going to a regular first teamer, but more than a useful Squad player.

NK86

He's not really a creator but he has goals in him and very mobile in his link up play.I'll try Januzaj on the right wing and him in the number 10 role in a game along with Martial and Rashford to see how it goes.
His finishing is below average for a guy who has 'goals in him'. He has missed several great opportunities over the course of the season. A bang average player starting for us regularly as a first team player out of necessity.

Norris

His finishing is below average for a guy who has 'goals in him'. He has missed several great opportunities over the course of the season. A bang average player starting for us regularly as a first team player out of necessity.
He was actually an excellent finisher at the youth level. I don't think one wasted chance can make us judge that he is below average. Look at the number of chances Martial had, not even one of them was even close to troubling the keeper (I agree some were tough, but it isn't too much expectation for him to get a shot on target).

NK86

He was actually an excellent finisher at the youth level. I don't think one wasted chance can make us judge that he is below average. Look at the number of chances Martial had, not even one of them was even close to troubling the keeper (I agree some were tough, but it isn't too much expectation for him to get a shot on target).
You think I am basing it only on yesterday's game? I don't care for his finishing at youth level as that is where players score 4-5 goals many times.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
He's just excellent at taking runs and challenging players - often with great success. Just look at often he's involved. A very modern pattern on the field. He just need to lift his head a lot more and know when to let the ball go. He's got a lot of talent otherwise.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lindgard is not limited though. I simply don't get all the negativity in this thread. Lingard's a good dribbler and his link up play is good. Im afraid he's been stifled by LVG because he looks threatening when he makes runs at defenders. He's one of the most fouled players in our team for a reason

khoazany

I actually don't think his pace is that average. He's quite quick imo.

I thought he a decent game. He always made runs and was available to receive the ball. He probably abandoned some of his defensive responsibilities today, which is understandable. In the second half, he constantly made runs from the half way line almost into Liverpool's box (Although, Liverpool really didn't close him down much tbf) and he had some really good 1-2's with the likes of Martial and Rashford (That back heel for Martial's blazed over shot was lovely). Covered like 30-40 yards really quickly, but probably began to tire by the 70 min mark. Definitely one of our better players. I think people here expect every academy player to have a ceiling like Borthwick-Jackson, TFM etc which isn't necessary at all. I quite like him even if he is not as skillful enough to be a winger. His crossing is poor I agree, but I believe he can work on that. I hope he has a good career here. He's not going to a regular first teamer, but more than a useful Squad player.
His crossing is decent when he first broke through however it has quickly been Valenciaized.Something is very wrong with all the crossing and set pieces training with almost all of our players getting worse on those aspects.

Devil81

He should be a squad player for us. Thats not his fault.
This, he's never a first choice player, week in, week out.

Unfortunately, we've been forced to make such a limited player important for us. His pace is actually needed, we'd be far worse sticking Mata on the right every game.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Even if you think he is absolutely shit(which is obviously over the top), you still have to respect him because he at least tries positive things all the time even if he fails. I hate criticising players who at least want to show some creativity in their play and give their all in a dull team, it's simply not fair to criticise those players too much.

I like him, but I don't think he should be more than a squad player, it's not his fault van Gaal sticks with him ever since he got his debut and because Memphis is shit.

Robbie Boy

Thought he gave the ball away far too much last night and he was poor in possession. He was positive though; I guess that's a positive, right?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Thought he was superb last night. For me, our best player. Never stopped running, had a real go. Great touch, passing on point, and very creative. Showed he can handle the big occassion. One of the few highlights (certainly after 30mins)
Wtf did I just read? Better than Martial? Come on buddy. Lingard was average, by definition. Better than a lot of others, but that's not saying much. Had a poor first half, and improved during the second.

But our best player on the night? Not a chance. I'd personally have Martial, DDG, Fellaini, Rashford all ahead of him.

Robbie Boy

Thought he was superb last night. For me, our best player. Never stopped running, had a real go. Great touch, passing on point, and very creative. Showed he can handle the big occassion. One of the few highlights (certainly after 30mins)
You would class that performance as 'superb'. Wow. How we have fallen.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He tried last night, but once again, his overall quality/end product lets him down.

He also got caught out of position quite a few times, but then, he was playing in the middle for some bizarre reason.

Robbie Boy

Aye, I'm thinking the same.
I remember the days when a superb performance was Scholes at his best, Keane bossing a game or a moment of magic from Ronaldo. Now though, a pretty meh performance from Lingard constitutes as superb. This season can't end soon enough.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Please start giving Januzaj opportunities. He's miles more talented than Lingard and in a season where we look like achieving, I'd rather we prioritize the young players who are genuinely capable of making a big impact at United. Lingard getting a few chances is fine but he's simply not talented enough to be starting every game, while much more talented footballers bide their time in the 21's.

Djemba-Djemba

I remember the days when a superb performance was Scholes at his best, Keane bossing a game or a moment of magic from Ronaldo. Now though, a pretty meh performance from Lingard constitutes as superb. This season can't end soon enough.
Yep.

I can see people thinking he was one of our better performers I suppose, not that it's any big compliment, but to label him superb last night is just ridiculous and shows how much standards have dropped round here.

Lingard is a local lad and seems a nice enough guy but he just isn't good enough for Man Utd, or rather he isn't good enough for what I want Man Utd to be. This mid table dogshit Utd of the last 3 years? yeah he's probably good enough for that.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I thought he was good. Mata was the one with his lack of pace on the right wing trying to cover Varela's man and failing to do so time and again in this match.
100% correct but for many they have decided Lingard is shite.
At least he didn't cost any money unlike a lot of the absolute dross that makes the team up.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
He should be a squad player for us. Thats not his fault.
ffs most of them should be squad players not just Lingard, and I include Mata and Herera in that. Waste of fecking money.

Robbie Boy

ffs most of them should be squad players not just Lingard, and I include Mata and Herera in that. Waste of fecking money.
Erm, you do realise that this is the Lingard thread, right? Those other players that you mentioned are being critisised in their respective threads.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
He played well along with Martial and Rashford. Meh performances????????????? that would have been Smalling, Rojo, Varela, Carrick and that useless fecking midget.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Please start giving Januzaj opportunities. He's miles more talented than Lingard and in a season where we look like achieving, I'd rather we prioritize the young players who are genuinely capable of making a big impact at United. Lingard getting a few chances is fine but he's simply not talented enough to be starting every game, while much more talented footballers bide their time in the 21's.
Aye like Januzaj is the answer. Potential yes, a long long long way from proving he can play consistently at this level.

Robbie Boy

He played well along with Martial and Rashford. Meh performances????????????? that would have been Smalling, Rojo, Varela, Carrick and that useless fecking midget.
He was positive, that was about it. He seriously lack quality and gave the ball away far too much. In fairness to him, he did try to be positive but not a-lot was coming off for him. Anyhow, that post was in response to someone that said he was superb. We obviously have very different standards for how United players should perform, because he certainly wasn't superb or anything like it.

Why do you keep banging on about other players? No one is exonerating them. They are being talked about in their own threads. This is the Lingard thread after all. And no one is wildly criticising him from what I can see.

JoaquinJoaquin

Thought he was ok last night to be fair to him, But he is still nowhere near good enough for this team. A competent manager will probably turf him out and rightfully so as we just cannot afford to keep carrying passengers. Same could be said for a few in this squad mind.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I thought he was decent last night. Not 'superb' obviously, but it was a good showing.

I like seeing players try to get something fecking done. It's the same reason I have more patience with Memphis than most.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'd say 23 of the 27 appearances Lingard has made this season have been meh to be honest.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
He was positive, that was about it. He seriously lack quality and gave the ball away far too much. In fairness to him, he did try to be positive but not a-lot was coming off for him. Anyhow, that post was in response to someone that said he was superb. We obviously have very different standards for how United players should perform, because he certainly wasn't superb or anything like it.

Why do you keep banging on about other players? No one is exonerating them. They are being talked about in their own threads. This is the Lingard thread after all. And no one is wildly criticising him from what I can see.
I will bang on about whatever I please, my point is their are plenty players in the team that have been utter shite, players that cost the club a lot of money.
Lingard has performed no worse than any of them over a period of time and I would rather see a player who came through the ranks get a chance rather than watch overated overpayed tossers.

Robbie Boy

I will bang on about whatever I please, my point is their are plenty players in the team that have been utter shite, players that cost the club a lot of money.
Lingard has performed no worse than any of them over a period of time and I would rather see a player who came through the ranks get a chance rather than watch overated overpayed tossers.
Yep, and again, people are talking about Lingard in here as it is the Lingard thread.

JB7

I haven't seen the game back but I must admit I thought Jesse had a poor game last night. He was often given the ball with space to run into but didn't use the ball overly well - maybe I need to watch it back to get all the replays and various camera angles that you get on TV but I just didn't feel he was at his best. He was one of very few that never gave up though, fair play to him for that.

JoaquinJoaquin

Ah well, my feeling is some make their minds up before the game even starts.
That doesn't make sense considering it is in the matches themselves when he has been very average. Has nothing to do with 'my decision prior to the game', Most of the thread agrees he is nowhere near good enough for this team, we don't all have an agenda. Jesus i'd like him to be great, I really would, but you have to call things as you see it and unfortunately he is just bang average.

Robbie Boy

I haven't seen the game back but I must admit I thought Jesse had a poor game last night. He was often given the ball with space to run into but didn't use the ball overly well - maybe I need to watch it back to get all the replays and various camera angles that you get on TV but I just didn't feel he was at his best. He was one of very few that never gave up though, fair play to him for that.
My sentiments exactly. He tried all game and he tried to be as positive as he could. However, I feel he conceded possession far too much and things just weren't happening for him. Had that good chance early on which resulted in a good save from Mignolet and he tried all night, but ultimately it was an average performance and he faded in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.