Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

Strats

Doing the Martial and Mkhitaryan treatment again. And so far despite how frustrating it was then they were left out both Martial and Mkhitaryan have been immense since they came back.

Imagine the flanks with Shaw/Martial and Valencia/Mkhitaryan/Mata all in full fitness and in form, we could be looking very, very strong. If we keep our consistency I think we will might have the chance to close the gap to Chelsea by lesser points than the standings are as now, although we won't catch them this season.

I hope Shaw improves his end product and and choses his crosses more wisely like the way Valencia has improved on that matter this season.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Is he though? Apart from that run of 8 or so games before his leg break in his second season here he's been pretty mediocre.
Those 8 games are forever going to be used to convince everybody that he is the best LB in the World. Playing 8 good games in 2.5 years is an absolute disaster, for any player and should not be used to demonstrate the quality of a player.

IMO, Shaw should be given a guaranteed run of about 5 games and be told that this is your golden chance. You will either sink or swim. If you do well, you will continue to play and start your MUFC career in ernest. If you sink, you will be sold off in the Summer and sit on the bench for another team, just like Memphis is doing at Lyon.

To remind people he is not a youth player. He is 21 - the same age that Rooney and Ronaldo were when they were spear heading our title challenge.
My suspicion is that Shaw doesn't have a winning mentality, though obviously this is just an opinion. For the record, I think he'll be gone in the Summer.

quethenoo

Why would mou bring him back in when we are playing well? He even said as much pre match. His agenda is victories not pandering to fan XI's. I'm sure Shaw will get his chance and if he takes that and trains well then he will earn his spot like everyone else. I am of the opinion Shaw is the best left back we have and will prove it, but right now he's not the best option and I'm not gonna get my knickers in a twist about it in the mean time, especially when we are winning and looking generally good.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'd say there's a 1% chance of Luke Shaw starting in the final. That's being generous.

Shaw will be used only when needed, and will likely be moved on this summer. Unfortunate, but that's Football.
I don't have any facts, but at some point we have to start thinking about our home grown quota, don't we? Schneiderlin left this season, Carrick might, Rooney probably will.

I don't think he'll leave. Not for that reason but because I think the club rate him highly and are just letting Mourinho give him the treatment. He needs it. Done wonders for the others.

kundalini

I don't have any facts, but at some point we have to start thinking about our home grown quota, don't we? Schneiderlin left this season, Carrick might, Rooney probably will.

I don't think he'll leave. Not for that reason but because I think the club rate him highly and are just letting Mourinho give him the treatment. He needs it. Done wonders for the others.
The PL max squad size is 25 players, not counting anyone 21 and under. The home grown quota is 8. Or to be more precise a max of 17 non-home grown players over the age of 21.

The easiest way to look at the situation is to count the number of non-home grown players over the age of 21, then add or subtract likely transfer moves. When you get over 17, you have a problem.

If you consider that Schweinsteiger's contract is up in 2018. Zlatan is unlikely to stay beyond 2018. One or more of Darmian, Fellaini, Mata likely to leave before the start of 2018/9 season. We really don't have a problem regardless of whether Luke Shaw stays or goes.

Looking into the future, home-grown qualified: Pogba, Smalling, Jones, Lingard, Rashford. Then TFM a possibility, Pereira if he returns, similarly Januzaj, CBJ, James Wilson. Numerous 3rd keeper options that qualify as home-grown. You have to remember that the 24th and 25th players in the squad rarely feature under a manager like Mourinho.

Last edited:

Virgil

IMO, Shaw should be given a guaranteed run of about 5 games and be told that this is your golden chance. You will either sink or swim. If you do well, you will continue to play and start your MUFC career in ernest. If you sink, you will be sold off in the Summer and sit on the bench for another team, just like Memphis is doing at Lyon.
For the life of me I cannot see this happening. Jose is not indicating in press conferences that Luke is injured so I think we can only assume that he is fit to play. With our congested fixture list if he's unable to get in the team now then I for one suspect that Jose does not rate him as a player for whatever reason. Fitness, lack of application, ability........you name it. If he does not feature either against Blackburn tomorrow or the return leg against St Etienne next week then I reckon his days at Old Trafford will be numbered.

Those 8 games are forever going to be used to convince everybody that he is the best LB in the World. Playing 8 good games in 2.5 years is an absolute disaster, for any player and should not be used to demonstrate the quality of a player.

To remind people he is not a youth player. He is 21 - the same age that Rooney and Ronaldo were when they were spear heading our title challenge.
My suspicion is that Shaw doesn't have a winning mentality, though obviously this is just an opinion. For the record, I think he'll be gone in the Summer.
These sections I totally concur with.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Big picture. Shaw is coming off of a horrendous leg break and in those situations it can take another year on top of the initial healing process, there is absolutely no need to rush him back and I think Jose and his staff probably understands this.

He has had a number of games for us this season before another injury and lack of form forced us to sit him down, now we can use him against Blackburn and ASSE to get a sense of where he is at and hopefully he can respond.

I simply can not see a situation where Mourinho has frozen him out completely to the point where he hasn't even explained the rationale behind what he is doing. He won't go anywhere in the summer and as long as he applies himself correctly, he will probably be first choice next season onward.

settembrini

Shaw was back in training at the end of last season and has been starting games since pre-season in July. He began the season as our first choice LB but since the Watford game (when Mourinho publicly criticised him) he has only started a single league match. Nowadays he is basically fourth choice. I hope he turns it around but if the season ended tomorrow he would be sold and United would buy a new LB.

jungledrums

Get over it deluded fan boys - he is an over rated flop - possibly so over rated due to him costing £30m and being English.

After watching the champions league games this week, Shaw would never ever have a chance of even being on the bench for PSG or Bayern.

He is so technically limited that he will only ever be a decent player - a bit like Valencia, fergie brought him in as Ronaldo's replacement. In his first season he was awesome, I was talking to Terry Phelan when he was doing some guest coaching at City. He said he admired Fergie so much for getting such great performances out of a very mediocre player. Valencia has now become a very good right back because he did not have the dribbling ability to be a winger.

Shaw could eventually be a United regular in that position. If he does, it will be due to his £30m price tag rather than his footballing skills. Sometimes a club has to persevere with a signing due to the outlay. look at Pogba for instance, he has never been dropped yet, regardless of his performances, how can you drop the worlds most expensive player without looking a fool, buying him.
Fecking embarrassing :lol:
The world doesn't exist in a United vacuum. He tore it up for Southampton and I rated him so bloody highly when he was there. When I thought Chelsea were gonna get him I was furious. This was the consensus. Before he got injured, he was also tearing it up. Granted, it's a small sample size, but still. Your post is at best an attention seeking ploy, and at worst the drivel of a woefully misinformed bitter.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
The PL max squad size is 25 players, not counting anyone 21 and under. The home grown quota is 8. Or to be more precise a max of 17 non-home grown players over the age of 21.

The easiest way to look at the situation is to count the number of non-home grown players over the age of 21, then add or subtract likely transfer moves. When you get over 17, you have a problem.

If you consider that Schweinsteiger's contract is up in 2018. Zlatan is unlikely to stay beyond 2018. One or more of Darmian, Fellaini, Mata likely to leave before the start of 2018/9 season. We really don't have a problem regardless of whether Luke Shaw stays or goes.

Looking into the future, home-grown qualified: Pogba, Smalling, Jones, Lingard, Rashford. Then TFM a possibility, Pereira if he returns, similarly Januzaj, CBJ, James Wilson. Numerous 3rd keeper options that qualify as home-grown. You have to remember that the 24th and 25th players in the squad rarely feature under a manager like Mourinho.
I believe Pogba does not qualify as homegrown.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Get over it deluded fan boys - he is an over rated flop - possibly so over rated due to him costing £30m and being English.

After watching the champions league games this week, Shaw would never ever have a chance of even being on the bench for PSG or Bayern.

He is so technically limited that he will only ever be a decent player - a bit like Valencia, fergie brought him in as Ronaldo's replacement. In his first season he was awesome, I was talking to Terry Phelan when he was doing some guest coaching at City. He said he admired Fergie so much for getting such great performances out of a very mediocre player. Valencia has now become a very good right back because he did not have the dribbling ability to be a winger.

Shaw could eventually be a United regular in that position. If he does, it will be due to his £30m price tag rather than his footballing skills. Sometimes a club has to persevere with a signing due to the outlay. look at Pogba for instance, he has never been dropped yet, regardless of his performances, how can you drop the worlds most expensive player without looking a fool, buying him.
Quite possibly one of the worst posts I've ever read on here. You ran right through the checklist to make it top ten ballot, hall of fame, shocking posts. Congratulations.

FujiVice

Shaw was back in training at the end of last season and has been starting games since pre-season in July. He began the season as our first choice LB but since the Watford game (when Mourinho publicly criticised him) he has only started a single league match. Nowadays he is basically fourth choice. I hope he turns it around but if the season ended tomorrow he would be sold and United would buy a new LB.
Sadly agree. I dont see this as a Martial/Mkhitarian thing. We're heading into March now. Shaw hasnt been seen in months. You'd have to think he'll get a chance in the Cup tomorrow and in the 2nd leg in the Europa. If he doesnt take these chances, he could be in big trouble. Mourinho is an awkward man. He's not someone who will give you many chances. We've seen it many times over the last 15 years with him. If he doesnt think you are up for the challenge, he's got no sentiment.

Zoo

No one was expecting him to play tomorrow anyway. Clear agenda from a tweeter that used to cover Southampton and always mentions Shaw's situation even when it's not relevant.
Journalist still at it despite Mourinho clearly explaining his thinking on Shaw yesterday.

NYAS

Journalist still at it despite Mourinho clearly explaining his thinking on Shaw yesterday.

Yeah, I remember when we bought Shaw and Liverpool were raiding Soton every transfer window, this guy was covering Southampton and had fantastic contacts and was well-known as by far and away the best journalist ITK with regards to Southampton. Now he's been assigned to United and all he does is attend press conferences and defend the ex-Southampton boys. Very weird job description.

SirAF

Ageist

The blue tick as well :lol: Trump's trademark phrase is really more apt for football news than real news. SAD!

mu4c_20le

If watching Darmian get picked ahead of him doesn't light a fire under his ass, I dont' know what will. Mata just took the 3rd sub so not even sympathy minutes for him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Even if he refused training I would use him ahead of Darmian, playing Darmian is ruining our chances of winning games.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Even if he refused training I would use him ahead of Darmian, playing Darmian is ruining our chances of winning games.

It says something pretty major about what Jose thinks about Luke Shaw. Injury be damned...if you can't get on the pitch ahead of Darmian you shouldn't be on the bench.

Darmian did NOTHING. Hell, once that left footed Blackburn winger came on he was eating Darmian alive.

LUKE SHAW... worse than Blind or Darmian (according to Jose)

Bwuk

Expect him to start on Wednesday.
Yeah. Not surprised Jose didn't start Shaw today.

Today was a must win - we couldn't afford a replay, and he clearly doesn't trust Shaw at the moment.

I imagine on Wednesday it'll be him, Schweinsteiger etc

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Expect him to start on Wednesday.
Why? Expect him to start ___________________ has been a running theme. What makes you think Jose rates him? Just because Jose rationalized his not choosing him?

Luke Shaw is better than Darmian NOW, yet he still isn't getting minutes. What's changed in Jose's mind?

JON.B

Sloop
Yeah. Not surprised Jose didn't start Shaw today.

Today was a must win - we couldn't afford a replay, and he clearly doesn't trust Shaw at the moment.

I imagine on Wednesday it'll be him, Schweinsteiger etc
Why? Expect him to start ___________________ has been a running theme. What makes you think Jose rates him? Just because Jose rationalized his not choosing him?

Luke Shaw is better than Darmian NOW, yet he still isn't getting minutes. What's changed in Jose's mind?
I think Jose wants to ease him back in slowly, he knew today's game would be tough and very competitive, not a great game to give him minutes. Won't be the same pressure if he plays on Wednesday but hopefully he gets an opportunity.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
I think Jose wants to ease him back in slowly, he knew today's game would be tough and very competitive, not a great game to give him minutes. Won't be the same pressure if he plays on Wednesday but hopefully he gets an opportunity.

OMFG...so now Blackburn whose 3rd from the bottom in the Championship is "tough and very competitive".

So, using your logic whose left on Manchester's schedule that's less TOUGH and COMPETITIVE than Blackburn? Serious question.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So, you think that Jose thinks that Shaw is not good enough to play against Blackburn - a Championship team?

For the record, I don't think much of Shaw, though I do feel he is better than Darmian. Mahoney was going past Darmian at will, today.

JON.B

Sloop
OMFG...so now Blackburn whose 3rd from the bottom in the Championship is "tough and very competitive".

So, using your logic whose left on Manchester's schedule that's less TOUGH and COMPETITIVE than Blackburn? Serious question.
For a player who's coming back from a broken leg and still has a lack of confidence, a competitive cup game which you know the other team will raise their level, it's not an ideal game to give him minutes. What's league position got to do with anything, just because they're 3rd from bottom means nothing. If he'd played today and had a bad game and we lost, he'd be confirmed as shit and having no future, you know, just because that's how it works on here using caf logic and all.

JON.B

Sloop
So, you think that Jose thinks that Shaw is not good enough to play against Blackburn - a Championship team?

For the record, I don't think much of Shaw, though I do feel he is better than Darmian. Mahoney was going past Darmian at will, today.
No, I think Jose thinks that today's game wasn't the best one to start him in, not sure why people are having a problem understanding this.

Well you're entitled to your opinion, I think he'll prove that he's good enough once he gets his confidence back and gets a run of games, I'm sure that Jose will do that once he feels he's ready. But hey, let's just write him off completely.

red4ever 79

No, I think Jose thinks that today's game wasn't the best one to start him in, not sure why people are having a problem understanding this.

Well you're entitled to your opinion, I think he'll prove that he's good enough once he gets his confidence back and gets a run of games, I'm sure that Jose will do that once he feels he's ready. But hey, let's just write him off completely.
When is the best game to start him in? If not against a Championship team. Jose doesnt like him. It is a personal thing.

JON.B

Sloop
When is the best game to start him in? If not against a Championship team. Jose doesnt like him. It is a personal thing.
Like I said, I think he might start him on Wednesday considering we have a 3-0 lead going into the game, from then on I'm not sure. Likelihood is that he'll remain a sub and get minutes here and there for the rest of the season unless he shows that he's the best option to start.

SirAF

Ageist
Like I said, I think he might start him on Wednesday considering we have a 3-0 lead going into the game, from then on I'm not sure. Likelihood is that he'll remain a sub and get minutes here and there for the rest of the season unless he shows that he's the best option to start.
Agree with this. He'll most likely be on the fringes until pre-season, and I can't see much wrong with that. There is just no margin to let a player play himself into form at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.