Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Wasn't a great day for him today I thought. Sloppy first touch plagued him throughout but understandable performance given what he must have been going through. Good to have this one out of the way and hopefully it only gets better from here.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
It's no surprise. He needs more game time for the touch to come back and general form. His pace looked a little off too compared to before the leg break. I'm sure it'll all come back in time though.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Thought he looked quite shaky, no doubt just easing back in though after such a long time out.

m1y2

not on top of his game, shades of his first season under LVG - not fully focused on the game.. but I am glad he's fit, he's the least of our problems..

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not a good game, but it's good to get the minutes under his legs. I'm sure he'll continue to improve.

Tiber

He was fine at lb today, no an issue. But isnt play at the level he was before the injury. Hope he gets back up to speed quickly

ThanksBoss26

First 90 minutes back so another barrier overcome really.

Bit rusty, but he'll be fine with more game time under his belt.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good defensively, didn't do much going forward but Mourinho has always liked his left backs to be the more defensive of the 2 anyway, and that suits Shaw. More to come of course but he adds to the solidness of our back 4.

SoCross

Poor but so happy to see him complete 90 minutes. Will only improve.

WhoDaGOAT

He might never be the same.

It will take a few months to build up to the level we saw last August.

That's why I'm glad we're keeping Rojo for now.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Didn't think he was bad at all today. It's honestly great to see him back after such a terrible injury.

Revan

Assumptionman
Good defensively, didn't do much going forward but Mourinho has always liked his left backs to be the more defensive of the 2 anyway, and that suits Shaw. More to come of course but he adds to the solidness of our back 4.
I don't think so. Cole and Marcelo were more attacking than Fereira and Arbeloa.

bosnian_red

I don't think so. Cole and Marcelo were more attacking than Fereira and Arbeloa.
Maybe just depends on the team and players. Generally has one that is defensive though, like Ivanovic compared to Azpilicueta (and then those 2 examples you mentioned but opposite flank). Don't remember who was the other fullback at Inter, obviously Zanetti one but not sure the other. With Shaw and Valencia, Valencia is always going to be the attacking one and it's worked perfectly so far.

Edit: looking at the CL final team in 2010, Maicon was one, Chivu the other. Chivu the defensive one clearly.

bosnian_red

Didn't think he was bad at all today. It's honestly great to see him back after such a terrible injury.
Yeah, I think people built him up a bit too much in their heads anyway and expected him to be like what Valencia has been. He was solid at the back as always, had a few good moments going forward but that was always his weak part anyway. The start of last season he was bombing down the wing more, but then Van Gaal had different tactics to Mourinho and I think Shaw played it perfectly today in terms of supporting runs and holding back. The right side had Mata drifting in so Valencia made up the right wing, while the left had Martial so Shaw could stay more reserved.

People seem to forget he made quite a few errors before his injury. He's just young, he will learn. The important thing is he's lost none of his pace and he's still going in fully committed.

Beej

Thought he was fine today.

Not great, but not bad like some are suggesting.
Yeah, some of the comments are way over the top.

His touch was a bit shaky on a couple of occasions, including once when he should have put his boot through the ball rather than controlling it in our own penalty box, but apart from that he was fine.

He's made errors of judgement in past seasons sometimes too, but its easy to forget that he's still very young for a defender. There's a lot more to come from Luke Shaw.

ZDwyr

Not going to be too harsh on him for a while. Just as long as he keeps overcoming barriers and gradually building form.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The fact that he completed a premier league game from start to finish will be a huge psychological boost for him. I'd worry if he is as rusty as he is now come December.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe just depends on the team and players. Generally has one that is defensive though, like Ivanovic compared to Azpilicueta (and then those 2 examples you mentioned but opposite flank). Don't remember who was the other fullback at Inter, obviously Zanetti one but not sure the other. With Shaw and Valencia, Valencia is always going to be the attacking one and it's worked perfectly so far.

Edit: looking at the CL final team in 2010, Maicon was one, Chivu the other. Chivu the defensive one clearly.
Yeah, Chivu was for the most part the LB (Zanetti played in midfield with Cambiasso). From the last 4 spells, it was always one defensive full back and one attacking one, though the side didn't matter much (I don't remember who was LB at Porto).

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Very good defensively, nothing special in attack but that'll come. His touch is a little heavy still.

Big fan of the guy though. All he needs is a string of competitive games and he'll be up to speed in no time.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I don't think he's been great in either of yesterday's match and the Community Shield, he's been okay though. So good to have him back.

Favourite moment of the match yesterday was when he went flying into a tackle in the 2nd half and wiped the winger out, hoping that means the leg break is completely gone from his mind!

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
All things considered, he done ok. Caught high and sucked in a bit at times, but he didn't shy away and gave options while going for a few challenges, plus he is only young and he is still learning his trade. Form will come, his mentality was good.

Devil81

Very rusty on Sunday but that was to be expected, think he's an amazing full back with huge potential.

Still got issues with weight for me though, to Van Gaal's credit he sorted that issue out, I'm not 100% sure he's in his best shape at the moment.

SirAF

Ageist
Not his weight again! The lad is ripped, he just got a big arse.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
I'm just glad he's back. Of course he can't get his form back so fast, that was his second competitive game in 11 months.

Keegs

Very rusty on Sunday but that was to be expected, think he's an amazing full back with huge potential.

Still got issues with weight for me though, to Van Gaal's credit he sorted that issue out, I'm not 100% sure he's in his best shape at the moment.
He has a big bum that's it he's not overweight.

LouisDanGaal

Bad game. Important game. It's all about getting back, he wasn't poor, just rusty, the premier league is so fast one bad touch can lead to a goal and I think that dodgy attempt to bring down a cross in his own box shredded his confidence a touch, still its all about clocking up minutes and shaking off the rustiness at this stage, if he hits any form before even Christmas it will be fantastic going from him considering his injury. I think he will as well as Mourinho clearly has him down as first choice, he's going to attempt to force the issue.

Brightonian

He really, really hasn't. There's some shirtless shots on his instagram from various points in his recovery, and he's shredded.

Status
Not open for further replies.