Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Melon

Mou should give Rashford a fair chance, as he's given Lukaku of 8 games playing shite.
Fully agree. To be honest current Rom is far from being a top striker for United, especially if we are playing with a single striker tactics.

stepic

For all those saying he would work better as a second striker, how many top teams play with a second striker these days?

If he can’t play as a lone striker he will need to work on being a wide player if he wants to ever be a regular starter.

Agree that Sanchez should have been given a run at the striker position. He’s done well for Arsenal there before and it stops him from coming so deep like he does when he plays on the wing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If Mourinho starts Lukaku, he wouldn't sub him off. If Rashford starts, he would sub him off. This is the difference! Mourinho needs to show a fair amount of loves to his players especially Martial & Rashford, he can't just have his own favourite players that he's willing to give them chances until they scores but not treat the same to the others. If Rashford stayed on the field 90 mins, may be he could score one goal.

Zlatattack

Give him a run of games upfront, show faith in him.
I agree. Martial is excellent coming in from the left, he's in a great vein of form, lets leave him to make the best of that. Rashford looks a little unconfortable on the right, he's played at the top during his youth, lets give him time and a run of games to adapt to that position. Lukaku is bang out of form, this is the perfect opportunity.

Viral United

The biggest issue is if we play him loan striker, the Arial threat is nullify. can't remember he win any header yesterday.

ForestRGoinUp

The only way he can play as a lone striker is in the same way Vardy plays. Those two are pretty comparable. That is to say he's not very well suited to play up top in a team that will keep the ball, and neither is Lukaku fwiw.

My guess is he could go on loan somewhere and look pretty amazing in a counter attacking team and then come back into our team and look pretty average. Simply because we're not going to constantly pump long balls and play in transition like Vardy gets to w Leicester.

He is probably the better option for us against teams we concede possession to. That list does seem to be growing under Mourinho.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
It's basically an international friendly that noone takes seriously
Spain looked like they took it pretty seriously with the way they were trying to claw their way back into the game.

I liked the effort he puts in running the channels but he is just not good enough to be a striker here. He has no instinct for it. Even an average mid table PL striker buries the chances he messes up.

Red_Ramirez

Made average balls look good yesterday with his running. Movement and Effort cannot be faulted.

Lukaku could learn a thing or two!

I dont think Rashford can be as prolific a goalscorer as Lukaku though...

starman

Pretty much echos what people are saying who are not fixated with Lukaku. Wasn't great vs Everton, need minutes to develop but showed his presence improved the flow of the team

He did not exactly sparkle against Everton, managing only one shot at goal in his 65 minutes on the pitch, but I still think Marcus Rashford deserves to keep his place leading Manchester United's attack.

I would love to see that happen. Rashford has clearly got huge ability and has a big future for club and country, but his situation at United at the moment is a tough one for a young player to flourish in.

As his manager Jose Mourinho points out, Rashford is playing regularly and getting minutes on the pitch - but usually that is as a right or left-sided forward.

When he gets a chance ahead of Romelu Lukaku at centre-forward, as he did on Sunday, he is under huge pressure to make that chance count because he is keeping a £75m striker out of the team.

That comes with the territory when you are at club the size of United, but it would be a lot easier for Rashford if they were sitting at the top of the table and playing well consistently.

Instead, United have often struggled as a team this season and have come in for a lot of criticism.

It has been a difficult environment for Rashford, yet he is still expected to make an immediate impact whenever he comes in at centre-forward - otherwise people will always question whether he should be starting in that position.

It is not surprising that he seems to play with more freedom when he is in an England shirt because, certainly for the last three or four months, international football has probably been more enjoyable for him.

Rashford needs more than just minutes to improve
Rashford turns 21 on Wednesday, and he is still learning.

I definitely see him as a central striker, eventually, but at the moment he does not have a voice to go and complain that this is where he should be playing.

He is at one of the biggest clubs in the world, under a manager who has paid £75m for a centre-forward, and who does not play with two up front.

Put all of that together and he is in a difficult situation as he tries to establish himself.

Mourinho said last week that, at Old Trafford, Rashford is in the right place to develop - but for him to progress as a centre-forward, and become the player he can be, he needs to play in that position regularly.

Until I turned 21, at the start of my last season for Southampton, I was not a regular in the team and I was not a regular goalscorer either.

But I was playing centre-forward every week and the number of first-team games I got playing there had gone up every season since my debut aged 17 in 1988.

'I built belief, and then the goals arrived'
Rashford was initially thrown in aged 18 by Louis van Gaal in February 2016 because United had so many injuries and, although he hit the ground running, he might not have been ready.

I made a splash on my first start when I scored a hat-trick for Saints against Arsenal but then reality bites and you have to establish yourself properly, and that involved patience. As much as you want to play every week, it is all part of the learning curve.

For me, there was a period when I was around 19-and-a-half when I started to become more prolific in front of goal.

The more minutes and games I played, the more belief I had - then the goals really started to flow.

In all competitions, I scored 21 in 60 games for Southampton in 1991-92 to earn an England call-up, and my move to Blackburn followed.

So, although it is not a problem that Rashford has not played consistently as a centre-forward up until now, if that is going to be his long-term position, that needs to change.

He is still young, but what happens next and where he is used is going to be hugely important in his development.

If we are talking about young players finding their position, then look at Anthony Martial, who has made the left side of United's attack his own, and scored another fine goal on Sunday.

More movement, more runs behind - what difference did Rashford make?
Rashford was played as a centre-forward against Everton, and hopefully that can be the start of him playing there for a run of games.

He only managed three touches in the Everton area and, other than his shot, the only other time he had a sniff of scoring was when he followed up when a Martial effort was saved - but the goal was disallowed because he was well offside.

Even so, I still thought United looked better going forward with Rashford in the side than they have done with Lukaku leading the line in recent weeks.

Lukaku has looked badly out of sorts for a while now, and he hardly put in a performance that screamed 'pick me' when he replaced Rashford in the second half.

The Belgian missed a big opportunity to put United 3-1 up when he fluffed a header in front of goal, and he has now failed to score in his past nine games.

When Rashford was on the pitch, United's movement was much improved, which made them a lot more dangerous.

Their first thought for most of the game was to get the ball forward and, when they did, they got it into the box or found their mobile front players with passes in behind.

So although Rashford did not shine individually, from a team point of view he helped to cause Everton plenty of problems.

He definitely justified his selection - now I just hope he keeps his place.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46013709

Last edited:

Offsideagain

The manager has to pick the players that are in form and putting in a shift. Lukaku looks like he’s been on the Pizzas or doughnuts. We should have had four goals yesterday at least.

Classical Mechanic

It's basically an international friendly that noone takes seriously
That's why the Spain players mobbed the ref after the final whistle because they only got 7 minutes injury time and got back to within one goal. Morata even got booked for dissent. Spain took the game very seriously, as have all nations in the higher bracket of the Nations League.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
The only way he can play as a lone striker is in the same way Vardy plays. Those two are pretty comparable. That is to say he's not very well suited to play up top in a team that will keep the ball, and neither is Lukaku fwiw.

My guess is he could go on loan somewhere and look pretty amazing in a counter attacking team and then come back into our team and look pretty average. Simply because we're not going to constantly pump long balls and play in transition like Vardy gets to w Leicester.

He is probably the better option for us against teams we concede possession to. That list does seem to be growing under Mourinho.
Yeah that's a pretty good comparison I think, fits with what I said about Rashford earlier.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's not a number 9, he's not a right winger either. He's at his best when he plays in exactly the same position as Martial.

He's also very down on confidence at the moment as well

goofygoofygoofy

I think the idea of having physicality up front is a bit overrated. Rashford didn't struggle against Everton and I don't think he would struggle against the likes of Bournemouth or Valencia. I think it's only against certain teams who park the bus (e.g. Chelsea in the FA Cup final last season) that he might have trouble.

Last edited:

Handré1990

Pretty much echos what people are saying who are not fixated with Lukaku. Wasn't great vs Everton, need minutes to develop but showed his presence improved the flow of the team

I agree with a lot of that. I thought, in isolation, he might have been our worst performer vs Everton. Having said that, I enjoyed seeing him stretching the Everton defence, making runs all the time in this and that direction. By doing so, he was making space for Mata, Pogba and Martial by forcing defenders out of position.

The Everton defenders know of his blistering pace and had to adjust accordingly. So in summation, I think he makes it easier for his teammates. With a little more cool (experience?) he might have had two goals, instead of being two metres offside on both occasions. He has a good shot on him too, from distance as well, which Lukaku simply doesn’t. I’d like to see more of those, and think we will when/if he ever regains form and confidence.

As of now, I’d go for Sanchez there, as he’s more experienced and much more creative. Rashford is much more preferred than Lukaku though, imo. We actually had to pass the ball, which was a nice change of pace.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He needs coaching. Lots of it. I think some of you are glossing over that in favour of just considering him good to go because he is a starter in our first xi when the two things are not mutually exclusive.

The problem with leaving an underdeveloped kid to his own devices is that he's basically having to muddle through and make countless errors with no one guiding him on the correct things to be doing rather than barking at him for ruining a tactical schematic or for going into his shell where he'll revert to type out of desperation more than anything.

His off the ball movement and running of the line and angles is light years above Lukaku's, and if we do keep Rashford up top, the objective should be to get a goal-scorer in behind him to exploit those defense-splitting runs Rashford tirelessly makes. I would have said that hole position would be good for Mata or Sanchez a couple of seasons ago, but now? It's not laughable to think Lingard would be the best at it in the squad, which, I'm not sure if it's praise for Lingard or an indictment of where we are in terms of attackers as a club at the moment.

I prefer the fluidity of Rashford to the dopey, static movement of Lukaku, personally; one benefits our other attackers (and Martial is enjoying the exploits a lot, and so is Pogba) and it makes us harder to play against. Lukaku's currency is goals and without them, he doesn't off us much, whilst Rashford can still provide a lot for the team even if he isn't scoring by way of aiding others to do so. Until Lukaku finds some semblance of form for putting the ball in the back of the net, I don't think it's a hard choice to make between who should be our starting #9 at this moment in time.

@Fortitude I agree with your post - well written, I said this a few pages back and people said i was wrong. Rashford needs a good coach, you can see he has potential that needs to be developed further. You can clearly see the difference in how he plays for England and with us.

Foxbatt

He needs a very good coach. I don't think his movements and his decision making is good.
He needs to think

Handré1990

@Fortitude Very good post, and I agree with all of it. I tried to formulate something similar in the post above yours, about him running and stretching the oppos defence and how it benefits our other attackers. The coaching thing should be pretty obvious. He’s night and day for us and England.

RedDevil@84

Happy Birthday Marcus!!

I can't really forget those 2 goals on European debut and follow it up with 2 goals against Arsenal, all in 3 days. Especially given that we just threw a bunch of kids at Arsenal, as rest of the team was injured.

And for an academy lad to do that was an icing on the cake.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Happy Birthday Marcus!!

I can't really forget those 2 goals on European debut and follow it up with 2 goals against Arsenal, all in 3 days. Especially given that we just threw a bunch of kids at Arsenal, as rest of the team was injured.

And for an academy lad to do that was an icing on the cake.
We took the piss that day. Rashford, TFM and Weir all made their debut against Arsenal in that match and we overran them.

RedDevil@84

And I would like to believe Rashford sent Demichilis into retirement when he scored that goal in 2015/16 season :D

Bournemouth 1:2 Man Utd

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Almost fecked that winner too, mistimes the jump. Doesn't put his foot through after it drops for him, thank feck for Adam Smith's shitty clearance.

Also this is the chance he missed earlier, like what the feck?

el3mel

Redeemed himself haha. Get in lad, but improve your finishing please. :lol:

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Only knew it was his birthday because of fifa. Happy birthday, mate.

Hopefully he can bag a goal against Bournemouth.
And he fecking did.

People can say what they want about him, but he runs his arse off.

Made a difference when he came on. Yes, he should have finished his chance befoew. Was easier to miss, but he continued and got the goal he deserved.

Walters_19_MuFc

Almost fecked that winner too, mistimes the jump. Doesn't put his foot through after it drops for him, thank feck for Adam Smith's shitty clearance.

Also this is the chance he missed earlier, like what the feck?

The lads just scored the winner for us. Why focus on negatives? Fecking hell.

Raw

Hoo boy he would have had a horrible time had he not scored. That missed chance was fecking ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.