Gaming The RedCafe NBA Simulation 09/10 | 1st Round over | Still open to sign-ups

nimic

something nice
Scout
Scroll down for links to updates

This is the RedCafe NBA Simulation using BasketballGM. If you want to be added as a player, take a look at the sign-up thread and fill in the required information. I'll add you in a future draft. Then I'll run the simulation hands-off (meaning it plays itself), and post updates in here about how everyone is doing. If you retire I can add you as your own son to the next draft class.

Here is the current draft schedule. I thought it'd be fun to spread the players around a bit, so that we avoid swamping the league with more than a dozen good ( :confused: ) 18-year olds immediately.

I'll try to regularly post stats and other information, but if you want something specific I can look it up. The game has a lot of different stats and things available.

Stat Bonanza (2007)
Stat Bonanza (2003)
Stat Bonanza (2000)

09/10 End of Regular Season & Playoff Bracket > Round 1 > Round 2 > Conference Finals > NBA Final
09/10 All Star Weekend
09/10 Trade Deadline Update
09/10 25-Game Update
09/10 Season Preview Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3
09/10 Draft and Free Agency

08/09 Season Review
08/09 End of Regular Season and Playoff Bracket > Round 1 > Round 2 > Conference Finals > NBA Final
08/09 All Star Weekend
08/09 Trade Deadline Update
08/09 25-Game Update
08/09 Season Preview - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3
08/09 Draft and Free Agency

07/08 Season Review
07/08 Playoff Bracket & Round 1 > Round 2 > Conference Finals > NBA Final
07/08 Final Standings, Playoff Bracket & League Leaders
07/08 All Star Weekend
07/08 Trade Deadline Update
07/08 Season Preview - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3
07/08 Draft and Free Agency

06/07 Season Review
06/07 Playoff Bracket & Round 1 > Round 2 > Conference Finals > NBA Final
06/07 All-Star Weekend
06/07 25-Game Update
06/07 Season Preview
06/07 Draft and Free Agency

05/06 Season Review
05/06 Playoff Bracket > Round 1 > Round 2 > Conference Finals > NBA Final
05/06 All Star Weekend
05/06 Trade Deadline Update
05/06 25-game update
05/06 Season Preview
05/06 Draft and Free Agency

04/05 Season Review
04/05 Playoff Bracket > Round 1 & Round 2 > Conference Finals & NBA Final
04/05 All Star Weekend
04/05 Trade Deadline Update
04/05 Season Preview East and West
04/05 Draft and Free Agency

03/04 Season Review
03/04 Playoff Bracket > Round 1 & Round 2 > Conference Finals & NBA Final
03/04 All Star Weekend
03/04 Trade Deadline Update
03/04 Season Preview East and West

02/03 Season Review
02/03 Playoff Bracket > Round 1 > Round 2 > Conference Finals > NBA Final
02/03 All Star Weekend part 1 and part 2
02/03 Trade Deadline Update
02/03 Season Preview

01/02 End of Season Review and Draft
01/02 NBA Finals
01/02 Playoff Bracket
01/02 All Star Weekend + standings update
01/02 Season Preview

00/01 Season Review
00/01 Playoffs
00/01 Standings and Playoff Bracket
00/01 All Star Weeekend
00/01 Season Preview

99/00 Season Review
99/00 Playoffs
99/00 Playoff Bracket
99/00 All Star Weekend
99/00 Season Preview (2 parts)

98/99 Season Review (2 parts)
98/99 Playoffs

98/99 Season Preview

97/98 Season Review
97/98 Season Awards
97/98 Playoffs

97/98 Season Preview

96/97 Season Review
96/97 Playoffs
96/97 Season Preview

95/96 Season Review

Drafts:

• Dan (#2)
  • Salt Bailly (#1)
  • oneniltothearsenal (#3)
  • Dr. Dwayne (#7)
  • altodevil (#1)
  • hobbers (#2)
1997:
  • Solius (#2)
  • Stobzilla (#4)
  • The Cat (#3)
  • sebsheep (#2)
  • V.O (#8)
  • weetee (#1)
  • Samid (#10)
  • BenitoSTARR (#1)
  • Skizzo (#3)
  • reelworld (#4)
  • P-Nut (#1)

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
I now realize I made everyone 1 year younger than I intended. You're all going to get drafted at 17, which seems very European. Means more time for you to shine, I guess.

Edit: Actually you're drafted as 17, but you're 18 when the season starts. As rating changes always happen at the start of a new season, that means everyone experiences some growth (or decline) right away.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I now realize I made everyone 1 year younger than I intended. You're all going to get drafted at 17, which seems very European. Means more time for you to shine, I guess.
No ephebophile or rape* jokes, etc, etc.

*Kobe exception is in effect.

1995 Draft

nimic

something nice
Scout
1995 NBA Draft

Players involved: @Salt Bailly, @Dan, @oneniltothearsenal, @Dr. Dwayne

With the #7 pick, the 33-49 New York Knicks (best player: Patrick Ewing - 63 overall rating) take...

Dr. Dwayne!

He's got a somewhat lower rating than the others (for no discernable reason), but he seems well rounded. He also has the Three Point Shooter trait (3). As you can tell from the picture (the green +3), he's decently happy to be there, but certainly not ecstatic.

With the #3 pick, the 30-52 Charlotte Hornets (best player: Christian Laettner - 67) take...

oneniltothearsenal!

Solid improvement across the board for oneniltothearsenal. He's got the traits Interior Defender (Di), Post Scorer (Po) and Rebounder (R). He's extremely unhappy to be in Charlotte, and would currently have a less than 1% chance to re-sign with the team.

With the #2 pick, the 31-51 Philadelphia 76ers (best player: Sharone Wright - 62) take...

Dan!

Despite having no special traits, Dan is the most well-rounded of the rookies so far. He also immediately improved literally everywhere (except height, which is rather difficult). It looks like he's going directly into the starting 5 at Philly, though the red -3 indicates that he's not very happy about his destination.

And finally, with the #1 pick, the odds-beating 37-45 Milwaukee Bucks (best player: Glenn Robinson - 67) take...

Salt Bailly!

While the Bucks got very lucky to have the chance to draft Salt Bailly (1.7% in the lottery), Salt Bailly seems only very mildly happy to be in Milwaukee (I cut the screenshot a bit too high, you can barely see a +1). Part of it seems to be their outdated training facilities. He's also not currently set to start games, but I suspect he'll get there pretty quickly. Like Dan he hasn't got any special traits, but he's a very well rounded player. Except from mid-range. And free throws.

I tried doing these with the inline spoilers, but I guess those don't work with pictures so it kinda gave the surprise away. If you guys see any obvious mistakes I made with your players, let me know. I can still change basically anything (though I won't make you any better, or change your teams).

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Salt Bailly, the shooting guard who can't shoot. Great image though.

nimic

something nice
Scout
No one made an All-Star team, but @Salt Bailly finished 2nd in the slam dunk contest! He finished 2nd to the current best player in the NBA, Anfernee Hardaway.

(Jerry Stackhouse is highlighted in blue only because I am "playing" as Atlanta)

He had the 2nd best dunk of the contest as well.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
No one made an All-Star team, but @Salt Bailly finished 2nd in the slam dunk contest! He finished 2nd to the current best player in the NBA, Anfernee Hardaway.
How you like me NOW @altodevil?

Penny Hardaway was one of my favourite players back in the 90s, pleasure and a privilege to be in the mix behind a legend.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The first few seasons will go by quickly, since there's so few of you and you're not quite yet involved in everything that's going on. I've already finished the first season, but I'll wait a bit to post to at least make sure that everyone had a chance to see themselves get drafted. Then I'll do an end-of-season summary.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
1995 NBA Draft

Players involved: @Salt Bailly, @Dan, @oneniltothearsenal, @Dr. Dwayne

With the #7 pick, the 33-49 New York Knicks (best player: Patrick Ewing - 63 overall rating) take...

Dr. Dwayne!

He's got a somewhat lower rating than the others (for no discernable reason), but he seems well rounded. He also has the Three Point Shooter trait (3). As you can tell from the picture (the green +3), he's decently happy to be there, but certainly not ecstatic.

With the #3 pick, the 30-52 Charlotte Hornets (best player: Christian Laettner - 67) take...

oneniltothearsenal!

Solid improvement across the board for oneniltothearsenal. He's got the traits Interior Defender (Di), Post Scorer (Po) and Rebounder (R). He's extremely unhappy to be in Charlotte, and would currently have a less than 1% chance to re-sign with the team.

With the #2 pick, the 31-51 Philadelphia 76ers (best player: Sharone Wright - 62) take...

Dan!

Despite having no special traits, Dan is the most well-rounded of the rookies so far. He also immediately improved literally everywhere (except height, which is rather difficult). It looks like he's going directly into the starting 5 at Philly, though the red -3 indicates that he's not very happy about his destination.

And finally, with the #1 pick, the odds-beating 37-45 Milwaukee Bucks (best player: Glenn Robinson - 67) take...

Salt Bailly!

While the Bucks got very lucky to have the chance to draft Salt Bailly (1.7% in the lottery), Salt Bailly seems only very mildly happy to be in Milwaukee (I cut the screenshot a bit too high, you can barely see a +1). Part of it seems to be their outdated training facilities. He's also not currently set to start games, but I suspect he'll get there pretty quickly. Like Dan he hasn't got any special traits, but he's a very well rounded player. Except from mid-range. And free throws.

I tried doing these with the inline spoilers, but I guess those don't work with pictures so it kinda gave the surprise away. If you guys see any obvious mistakes I made with your players, let me know. I can still change basically anything (though I won't make you any better, or change your teams).
Sweet I like that potential and those traits look good since I was trying to base myself on Karl Malone. But feck Charlotte, I want to be famous so I want a big city! Don't want to play with a scrub like Laettner

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Wait, Jordan is not the best player? Or is he still playing baseball when the sim started?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Wait, Jordan is not the best player? Or is he still playing baseball when the sim started?
He's the 4th highest rating, after Hardaway, Pippen and Shaq. There's a setting that determines how deterministic player progression is, and by default it's at 0, meaning players will often develop very different from reality. Also the game usually isn't too kind on old players, so 33 year old Jordan is on the decline. Mind you he was still an All-Star, 1st Team All-NBA, and scoring leader.

Edit: mostly the reason is that Hardaway jumped from 70 to 77 from last season to this, so it's more him going up than Jordan going down.

95/96 End of Season

nimic

something nice
Scout
1995/1996 NBA Season Review

We'll see how I do these later, but since no one was really involved in the big contests, I'll forego spoilers at least this time.

The NBA winners are the Orlando Magic, with by far the strongest regular season record and no problems dispatching their opponents in the playoffs.

The only Cafite who was involved was @Salt Bailly with Milwaukee, though they were swept in the first round by Detroit. Still, Salt Bailly managed to work his way into the starters at the Bucks on the way there.

Neither of our lads managed to win Rookie of the Year, which went to Michael Finley, but we did have two familiar faces in the All-Rookie Team.

Season performances

Games, Points, Rebounds, Assists | Field Goal %, 3-Point %, Free Throw %, True Shooting (some fancy metric) | PER (some fancy performance metric) Win Share (some other fancy performance metric)

@Dan:

@Dr. Dwayne:

@Salt Bailly:

@oneniltothearsenal:

nimic

something nice
Scout
1996 NBA Draft

This is about to get silly.

With the #2 pick, the 28-54 Portland Trailblazers (best player: Rod Strickland - 67) select...

@hobbers!

hobbers is quite a good player from the beginning. He's rather limited in scoring abilities though, so we'll see how it pans out. He's a very tall point guard who can only score on the inside, so it should be interesting. hobber has the Athlete, Ball Handler, Interior Defender and Post Scorer traits. He'll definitely get a lot of playing time, though he already hates the team.

With the #1 pick, the 24-58 Cleveland Cavaliers (best player: Bobby Phills - 58) select...

@altodevil!

The game took one look at altodevil and decided "let's make this even dumber", so promptly removed his single ability points in shooting. How is this going to work out? I have no idea. The game seems to think he's already the second best player in the league, but feck knows how it's actually going to play out. The game engine and overall rating are completely separate. It goes without saying that he's immediately by far the best player on his very bad team, I just hope they won't rely on him actually scoring.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I don't think the league is even remotely ready for the utter stupidity that is @altodevil's build. The game was not created for this.

The game took one look at altodevil and decided "let's make this even dumber", so promptly removed his single ability points in shooting. How is this going to work out? I have no idea. The game seems to think he's already the second best player in the league, but feck knows how it's actually going to play out. The game engine and overall rating are completely separate. It goes without saying that he's immediately by far the best player on his very bad team, I just hope they won't rely on him actually scoring. [/SPOILER]
:lol:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
With the #1 pick, the 24-58 Cleveland Cavaliers (best player: Bobby Phills - 58) select...

@altodevil!

The game took one look at altodevil and decided "let's make this even dumber", so promptly removed his single ability points in shooting. How is this going to work out? I have no idea. The game seems to think he's already the second best player in the league, but feck knows how it's actually going to play out. The game engine and overall rating are completely separate. It goes without saying that he's immediately by far the best player on his very bad team, I just hope they won't rely on him actually scoring.
At least this makes me feel better about the prospects of my own dumb build. Godspeed alto.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
At least this makes me feel better about the prospects of my own dumb build. Godspeed alto.
I'd say you and @altodevil would be perfect teammates but with both of your passing, youll never get the ball to each other

altodevil

I'm expecting 15 rebounds a game alongside 15 turnovers/field goal misses. Brutal team to be on though. -11!!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
1996 NBA Draft

This is about to get silly.

With the #2 pick, the 28-54 Portland Trailblazers (best player: Rod Strickland - 67) select...

@hobbers!

hobbers is quite a good player from the beginning. He's rather limited in scoring abilities though, so we'll see how it pans out. He's a very tall point guard who can only score on the inside, so it should be interesting. hobber has the Athlete, Ball Handler, Interior Defender and Post Scorer traits. He'll definitely get a lot of playing time, though he already hates the team.

@altodevil!

That build :lol:

altodevil

There's a real chance of an endless loop of missed layup, offensive rebound, repeat, with my player. feck sake.

nimic

something nice
Scout
1996/1997 Season Preview

I'll make more of this later, once we start getting more of you on actually good teams. For now here are the changes to each player, and the starting 5 of their team. Note that just because a player has declined in rating does not mean he can't suddenly get better the next season. Also the other way around.

@altodevil and the Cavaliers (24-58 last season) starting line-up:

altodevil 76 overall rating
Bobby Phills 58
Tyrone Hill 56
Damon Stoudamire 56
Chris Mills 56

@Dan and the 76ers (35-47 last season) starting line-up:

Shawn Bradley 65 overall rating
Willie Burton 61
Sharone Wright 60
Dan 59
Shawn Respert 57

@Dr. Dwayne and the Knicks (37-45 last season) starting line-up:

Marcus Camby 63
Patrick Ewing 59
Hubert Davis 59
Dale Davis 55
Travis Best 56

@hobbers and the Trailblazers (28-54 last season) starting line-up:

Rod Strickland 67
hobbers 66
Clifford Robinson 55
Aaron McKie 57
Brent Barry 55

@oneniltothearsenal and the Hornets (38-44 last season) starting line-up:

Larry Johnson 66
Christian Laettner 65
Alonzo Mourning 61
Sasha Danilovic 48
Johnny Newman 45

@Salt Bailly and the Bucks (41-41 last season) starting line-up:

Glenn Robinson 71
Salt Bailly 62
Todd Day 58
Elliot Perry 57
Travis Knight 56

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
1996/1997 All Stars Weekend

We didn't have anyone in the Three Point Contest this year, but Salt Bailly was trying to improve on his runner-up performance last time in the Dunk Contest.
Sadly it didn't work out.

For the All-Star Game, altodevil was selected to play for the East!

Unfortunately they lost.

It remains unclear whether more blocks than points is a valid road to victory.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
What does that „+/-„ mean at the end of the stats sheet? Funny that he‘s a superstar from the get go, must be rookie of the year too with playing 38mins at the All Star game, impressive.